Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the Cruze ever have a diesel engine again? Also, will it ever have a manual transmission?

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Yes. 1.6 whisper diesel. No manual transmission expected.

Reactions: cumminsdieselfreak

·
Premium Member
5,618 Posts
Yes. 1.6 whisper diesel. No manual transmission expected.
Oh the Flustern!

The 1.6L turbo-diesel 4-cyl engine is expected to get 10-percent better mileage than the 2.0L it is scheduled to replace which means the 2017 Chevy Cruze TDI should have EPA mileage of about 51-52 mpg and will be among the highest of non-hybrid cars.

Read more: GM Will Embrace Chevy Cruze Diesel | GM Authority

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wonder why they won't make a manual an option?..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yet a back up camera is standard on about any Toyota now.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Wonder why they won't make a manual an option?..
It's a cost thing. By the time they priced it out it would be more than the automatic for the volume they'd sell in North America.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,970 Posts
Yet a back up camera is standard on about any Toyota now.
They have to get buyers to ignore that their powertrains are older than anything else on the market somehow. So they've focused recently on updating a lot of the in-car technology ;)

That said, the infotainment system in our Camry works really, really well compared to a lot of the touch-screen systems on the market. It doesn't do a lot of fancy stuff, but it also doesn't crash or freeze constantly like MyLink and MyFordTouch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It don't take much to see there is a market for manual diesels.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
G.M. beats to their own drum. My D/C just picked up a 2015 Malibu LTZ, the top trim. No Back up Camera available in any of the versions.
I beg to differ ... this is directly from the Chevrolet website for a 2015 Malibu : 1LT requires the available Power Convenience Package or Style and Technology Package.
2LT, 3LT, 1LTZ and 2LTZ require the available Electronics and Entertainment Package.

Reactions: Tomko

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
It don't take much to see there is a market for manual diesels.
It does when the bean counters don't have any interest in what the customers want ... but rather the stockholders

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
It's a cost thing. By the time they priced it out it would be more than the automatic for the volume they'd sell in North America.
I'd like to know how they can read the future and know how cost effective it would be ... without ever even offering it as an option? I want them to pick my winning lottery ticket next time it's over $250 million!

·
Premium Member
5,618 Posts
I beg to differ ... this is directly from the Chevrolet website for a 2015 Malibu : 1LT requires the available Power Convenience Package or Style and Technology Package.
2LT, 3LT, 1LTZ and 2LTZ require the available Electronics and Entertainment Package.
You are correct sir. I misread the Dots and actually missed the #1.
2015 Malibu Trim Levels: LS - LT - LTZ | Chevrolet

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
When automatics first came on the market they cost extra, so why can't GM put extra cost on the manual so anybody who really wants can shell out the extra $$$$ to buy one. The customer was always right, once.

Reactions: spaycace

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,970 Posts
When automatics first came on the market they cost extra, so why can't GM put extra cost on the manual so anybody who really wants can shell out the extra $$$$ to buy one. The customer was always right, once.
They're still an extra-cost option for most models that still come with a manual.

But it's not like they haven't already done the development for the manual transmission for the diesel - they exist overseas. Heck, my transmission was built in Austria.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
They're still an extra-cost option for most models that still come with a manual.

But it's not like they haven't already done the development for the manual transmission for the diesel - they exist overseas. Heck, my transmission was built in Austria.
I had to pay $1,000 for the manual transmission on my G8 ... but it doesn't get me any extra on NADA or KBB, yet other cars that have manuals either lose money for them, OR you gain value for the automatic. I'm not worried about that too much on the G8 though, as I don't plan to ever get rid of it anytime soon.

Reactions: Aussie

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
I had to pay $1,000 for the manual transmission on my G8 ... but it doesn't get me any extra on NADA or KBB, yet other cars that have manuals either lose money for them, OR you gain value for the automatic. I'm not worried about that too much on the G8 though, as I don't plan to ever get rid of it anytime soon.
When Holden ceases production next year my son is going to buy the last model ever of a manual SS Commodore and just keep it. It is going to replace this car.
He really wanted another wagon, but they stopped making them in a manual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUGhu_Nmetg

Reactions: spaycace
1 - 18 of 18 Posts