Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed the other day after double locking the key fob while in the car i went to move the steering and it has no lock.... my ls spark doesn't as well but odd cruze doesn't. any one else?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
My 12 eco did not......nor does my 15 Trax.....nor does my wifes 08 Malibu....I won't speculate why, but never cared for it.
Made steering wheel/signal switch service a PITA that required owning more tools......specifically the lock plate/column pre loader.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
OP, how far did you turn the steering wheel (left and right) and I assume it was in park?

Reactions: spacedout

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
From what I'm reading, the steering wheel lock was mandated to curtail auto thefts. But the locks had a tendency to engage while driving - very dangerous. So the shift has been from steering wheel lock to immobilizers. Without the ECM talking with your fob, your car isn't starting. Good luck trying to hot wire it. I suppose it could be done, but it would be more like hacking the computer system then the hotwire tricks of old.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Maybe the automatics don't since they have the brake-park interlock thing. I've honestly never bothered to check.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
My '14 Cruze with auto transmission has a steering lock.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Well never mind on that theory.
What about key verses keyless? A car with a key could easily work just like the ones 20 years ago, but with the keyless ignition, that would force a redesign.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
What about key verses keyless? A car with a key could easily work just like the ones 20 years ago, but with the keyless ignition, that would force a redesign.
Eco and diesel, the two mentioned, are both keyed.

The only keyless ones would be a 2LT (optional) or LTZ.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i won't speculate why, but never cared for it.
Made steering wheel/signal switch service a pita that required owning more tools......specifically the lock plate/column pre loader.
i dont like them either. A good bit of leverage and broken.

Mine i can move a lot when in park and car turned off. On all my previous cars including other chevy when you pull the key you turn it maybe a 1/8 of travel and it locks. Mine just wiggles and doesent lock

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,900 Posts
Our '14 Diesel does. As does my '07 Cobalt, '98 Cavalier and '81 Camaro.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
see most have some dont... odd i can expect this on my ls spark but CTD?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I have the push start, and there's no lock. But the wheel is so stiff, I can see some people thinking that it is locked.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
My 12 1LT Cruze and 15 LTZ sonic(both with keyed ignitions) having locking steering wheels. When I get out of the car I always place my right hand on the steering wheel to help myself up and out of the car, so the wheel is locked 99% of the time when I get back in. Doesn't take much effort to engage either, 1/4-1/2 inch turn of wheel in either direction when the key is out just like every other car I've ever owned.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
My 14 1LT A/T without the Push to Start feature absolutely has a steering column lock, no question. With that said it doesn't always engage. Is the reworked design of the CRUZE ignition cylinder flawed?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts