Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to this news item, GM is going to shut down the third shift at the Flint engine plant because they are going to source the 1.4L Turbo motor from a Korean plant that just came online. However, that engine production is slated for the Buick Encore, which is built in Korea anyway. Nothing is said concerning the engine sourcing for the Cruze and Sonic. I guess if demand builds for these cars, they will start up the third shift again. Hopefully, they won't be importing Korean built 1.4Ls to fill demand.

General Motors To Lay Off 104 Workers At Flint Engine | GM Authority

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I sure hope not. This sounds more like a move to cut shipping costs/snafus than a move to displace Flint-built engines, IM(uninformed)O.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You're probably right. IIRC the 2011 US Cruze initially had engines sourced from Austria, but GM retooled Flint specifically to produce the 1.4T. Having just spent a bunch of $ retooling I can't see why they would want to source engines from Korea now. Shipping the US built engines to South Korea for the Encore was probably quite expensive, they have some pretty high import tariffs on cars and auto parts there. Also, shipping critical parts like engines long distances can really blow up in your face if you accidentally ship a lot of bad engines or didn't send enough. Then you're stuck with paying for expensive air freight or not being able to build any cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.