Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 2012 Cruze Eco came in 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] only to the 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth where the Eco garnered 789.9 "editor" points to the Abarth's winning 799.7 "editor" points.

It's all in the new October 2012 issue of Road and Track's article: "Fun, Frugal (and relatively fast)," on pages 64-73.

The winning line-up was:

1) Fiat 500 Abarth.......799.7 points
2) Chevrolet Cruze Eco...789.8 points
3) Lexus CT 200h.........786.5 points
4) Volkswagen Jetta TDI..778.8 points
5) Mazda3i Touring.......785.4 points
6) Hyundai Veloster......757.5 points
7) Dodge Dart Rallye.....756.8 points
8) Honda Fit Sport.......710.8 points

...as determined by R&T's "Engineering Editor's Fun Factor" equation:

E[SUP]2[/SUP]F[SUP]2[/SUP] = [(Sk + Sl + Qs + E + O)/(A + B + Qt + P +Au)] ×1000

where:

E[SUP]2[/SUP]F[SUP]2[/SUP] = Engineering Editor's Fun Factor
Sk = skidpad × 100
Sl = slalom speed
Qs = 1/4-mile speed
E = EPA Combined × 4
O = our test route mph × 2
A = acceleration time to 60 mph × 10
B = braking distance from 60 mph
Qt = 1/4-mile time × 10
P = (as-tested price)[SUP]0.4
[/SUP]Au = autocross time × 3

IMHO the most insightful comment made about the Cruze Eco was: "It's the decathlete in this group of fuel-efficient funsters, showing brilliance in no particular area but strength across the board." [note: emphasis is mine not R&T's]

Reactions: TechCruzer

· Premium Member
5,048 Posts
And the Cruze has a usable rear seat and trunk. Plus it's cheaper.

About the Fit, its grip issues are solved by +0 sizing to 205/50-16 tires. That's an extra inch of rubber on the road, and a slightly skinnier, stiffer sidewall. We did that on ours, and it handles very well with those size tires.

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
...did anybody else notice their "...direct injection..." mistake in describing the 1.4LT engine?

...also, interestingly, the two fuel economy ratios (DIC/reality) that R&T got are nearly identical to what we see here, about 6-7% too optimistic, ie: DIC = 38.1 mpg, R&T calculated was 35.7 mpg.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,807 Posts
Go Cruze! I was surprised myself when I first drove one. I honestly wasn't expecting much from a Chevy going by their past, but the Cruze is a fun little thing with a manual. I drove a Cavalier and an Impala once and both were pretty awful in the handling and power department. The Cruze almost feels like a VW Golf out on the road.

And the Cruze has a usable rear seat and trunk. Plus it's cheaper.
Usable rear seat?!? Sure, for children. Most anyone over 5'2" looks pretty miserable though (and I'm 5'7" so my seat isn't way back). But then that's pretty standard for cars in this class.

· Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Nice write up. An as tested $27,000 Fiat Abrath should best an as tested $20,000 Cruze.

· Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Well done Eco.

I wonder how a $7k price savings put the Eco in second on that 'equation' compared to the Fiat.

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well done Eco.

I wonder how a $7k price savings put the Eco in second on that 'equation' compared to the Fiat.
...without knowing the individual scores they assigned in each catagory, we'll never know. Also, we don't know if the scores assigned were averaged first, then plugged into the equation, or the other way around.

· Premium Member
5,048 Posts
At least for my needs, a car with usable space is better than a better-driving car with less space. If my work stuff can't fit in, forget about it.

· Registered
113 Posts
I really like the looks of the Fiat.When I was shopping for a car I considered the Fiat because I dont have kids and dont carry much of anything in my car.The one thing that ruled it out was the fuel economy.I think it is pretty rediculous that a car that small only gets 38 mpg.
Now that I have my Cruze I think I made the right decision.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Just read the article. I passed one of the Fiats today on I-25. Yuck.

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Fiat 500 Abarth is the "new" Mini -- cute and chic, especially as viewed by women.

Reactions: jblackburn

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
The Fiat 500 Abarth is the "new" Mini -- cute and chic, especially as viewed by women.
My wife doesn't like it either. Will it fit in a sewer tunnel? ;)

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,807 Posts

· Registered
391 Posts
It's basically an overpriced Prius. No thanks.

The unloved Lexus CT 200h

:D
Yes! I really begin to question the accuracy of this article when the Lexus Prius shows up... That said the Abarth is awesome. If I were buying a new car today, I'd buy one in a heartbeat (I have no kids or really carry much more than groceries on a regular basis). Sure, it has its flaws, but have you heard the exhaust?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.