Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I have a question for you all. I was wondering if anyone else felt as if the front springs we have in our Eco's are too weak? Before we go any further with this I'm going to put it out there that I'm 6ft2in and 300lbs. I know I'm not a small fella and I'm sure the Cruze knows it. The reason I ask is that I was driving a 2004 Aveo prior to this and if I hit a bump on the highway in my way to work the Aveo never bottomed out like the Cruze does. I mean its full compression as if I hit a major pothole. Complete with the bang sound you get. I hit it only once but still in day to day driving I feel as if the car is lame on the left side. I read previously that there was an update for struts and springs and wonder if my Cruze falls into this category? Has anyone come across this with there Eco's?

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
The Cruze weight distribution is between 65/35 and 60/60 depending on what options you have. I believe the Eco trim is closer to 65/35. The front springs will feel a bit softer. In addition, the springs are 10mm lower than other cruzes.

I've gone over some pretty big dips getting into my work parking lot and haven't bottomed out this car's suspension yet. Can you take a video?

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for mentioning the weight distribution. To me the car has always felt a little "nose" heavy when going over bumps. Maybe it was a one time fluke that the bottoming out happened. After all I had only owned the car maybe 2 weeks at that time and maybe it was a fluke pothole I didnt see on the highway. I havent bottomed out since and I had it checked out at my local dealership and told the car was fine. As for the video I'm not quite sure how to accomplish that as it seems that technology and I travel in two different directions.

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
Thank you for mentioning the weight distribution. To me the car has always felt a little "nose" heavy when going over bumps. Maybe it was a one time fluke that the bottoming out happened. After all I had only owned the car maybe 2 weeks at that time and maybe it was a fluke pothole I didnt see on the highway. I havent bottomed out since and I had it checked out at my local dealership and told the car was fine. As for the video I'm not quite sure how to accomplish that as it seems that technology and I travel in two different directions.
Don't worry about it then. If it just happened once, I wouldn't worry about it. But yeah, it is front heavy like most FWD cars are. My 95 Regal is even worse; its a 70-30 front to rear weight distribution. Talk about nose heavy!

Congrats on the purchase by the way, and welcome to CruzeTalk!

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't worry about it then. If it just happened once, I wouldn't worry about it. But yeah, it is front heavy like most FWD cars are. My 95 Regal is even worse; its a 70-30 front to rear weight distribution. Talk about nose heavy!

Congrats on the purchase by the way, and welcome to CruzeTalk!
Maybe I was just being over sensitive because I just bought it. Anyway thank you very much for the welcome!

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
Maybe I was just being over sensitive because I just bought it. Anyway thank you very much for the welcome!
Yeah, I've been pretty over sensitive about a few things with my Cruze. I have a great ear and feel for any subtle difference in the way the car feels or sounds, and sometimes that gets the better of me, lol.

You're welcome. :)

Check out the two links in my signature if you have some time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts