Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested I sent a email to the EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality regarding if our cars were ever retested under the expanded retesting program announced in Sept of 2015 and what the results were. I've always wondered, and could never find an answer. Reading about the lawsuit being allowed to continue sparked my interest in chasing an answer. I guess we will see if they respond with any useful information.

Hello,
I am the owner of a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel sedan. I know it was mentioned widely in the media in September of 2015 that the EPA was going to be conducting expanded retests on light duty diesel vehicles in search of defeat devices in response to the discovery of such devices in the Volkswagen light duty diesels. Such expanded retesting was mentioned again in the press releases published last month regarding the discovery such defeat devices in the FCA light duty diesel vehicles. I am requesting information regarding if the 2014 Chevrolet Cruze diesel was subjected to these expanded retests, and what the results of the test were if conducted.
-Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I wonder if this is why the infamous P11DC-causing recall was issued.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,883 Posts
They did - they contracted Jacob's in Ann Arbor to do that. They sent us a letter requesting the use of our vehicle, but didn't end up needing ours. This was back at the beginning of '16, I believe.

I wonder if this is why the infamous P11DC-causing recall was issued.
Pretty sure the recall was due to the NoX #1 and O2 being coated in soot.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure the recall would have nothing to do with it, as recalls such as this are reviewed by the EPA because they affect the emissions system.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Believe it or not, I received a response from the EPA today. Here is the response word for word:

Dear Mr. Ballas:

Thank you for your inquiry. The model year 2014 Chevy Cruze was tested as part of the defeat device screening program and was found to be compliant. Environment Canada performed the testing on that vehicle, but EPA has subsequently certified the current model diesel Cruze after performing confirmatory testing at our own laboratory.

Detailed annual certification test data for light-duty vehicles and trucks are available on our Web site at https://www.epa.gov/compliance-and-...-certification-test-data-vehicles-and-engines. However, the results from the enhanced screening tests are considered part of the VW investigation and we are not releasing that data.

We hope this information is helpful. Thank you for contacting the Office of Transportation and Air Quality.

Sincerely,

Jennifer France

Public Information Services Team
Office of Transportation and Air Quality
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the update. So those ambulance chasers who filed the lawsuit on the Cruze will lose.

Reactions: Chris Tobin

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,883 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the update. So those ambulance chasers who filed the lawsuit on the Cruze will lose.
And I hope there's a countersuit filed as a result - that would "reward" their stupidity and greed.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
And I hope there's a countersuit filed as a result - that would "reward" their stupidity and greed.
That would be funny and excellent!

Reactions: MP81
1 - 10 of 10 Posts