Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2014 Blacvk Granite Cruze LTZ fully loaded and just passed 5000 miles and I have tons of chips especially on the front bumper and front edge of hood and I always keep my car clean and waxed,this is really terrible paint on this cruze.I had 2011 Silver Ice Mettalic ECO i gave back from lease with much less chips than this new car.Its like they have no hardener on the paint at all.One light snowfall and now there are many more chips on the front bumper.At my work I notice a camaro thats got like no chips on the front compared to mine and also Malibu in same color that didnt have many chips thats also new.Does anyone think the paint is going to be much better with the Camaro or Malibu? I love to detail my car and all I can think is thank god its a 3 year lease.I have seen older chevys in lots that have much less chips than mine.Is is partially becuse of the water based paints that are now used? When I get rid of this car I will look at the pricing of Lexus ct200h I gaurantee the paint and build quality is 100 times better than the cruze,as I have driven one and generally liked the way it felt on the road not to mention the mileage gain as I am only getting 24.8mpg on my new cruze.Any thoughts here?

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
My car is the same way, paint has as many chips as my old Buick had at a 3rd the mileage. I'm starting to wonder if its from some coating they put on to protect he metal below the paint, as none of the chips are rusting at all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes exactly my dads Lexus has like 25000 miles on it Black onyx clearcoat and way less chips then my 5000 mile Cruze.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the lease will be more on the ct200h than fully loaded LTZ but the question is how much more? I will gladly pay a little more for leaps and bounds better fit and finish and the added bonus of better mileage

·
Registered
421 Posts
The $40K Lexus CT 200h is built on the inexpensive Toyota Matrix/Vibe chassis. My 2008 Pontiac Vibe is very reliable (no repairs at 50K miles) but the crude, jittery suspension feels like you are bouncing on pogo sticks on bad roads. By comparison my CTD feels like an S-Class Mercedes with much better control and comfort. The Vibe is so unpleasant to drive long distance I donated it to my girlfriend for the ultimate durability test. If she can't break it, it is indestructible. Consumer Reports also loved the CT 200h reliability but panned the ride quality.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My paint chipped on the rear bumper where it meets the quarter, the FIRST time i washed it.... honestly i really like my car so i choose to ignore her little flaws. but the poor darling is put together like crap!!! in the wrong light shes got crazy shadows that show how poorly the doors and body panels line up, and orange peel like crazy. when i changed the oil for the first time i noticed under the front bumper hadn't been painted.. like they stood in front of it and sprayed or something... in the end, shes a daily driver and is gonna get rocks thrown in her teeth and kids door dingin. just have fun driving it yo!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get what you are saying but its hard to justify another purchase of the cruze when my lease runs out.I would really like to get the IS250 Lexus if I can afford it but its going to be a little tight for my budget I feel.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,603 Posts
I thought it was built on the Toyota Prius chassis.Are you sure?
Corolla, Prius, Matrix, and this Lexus thing all ride on the same platform.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MC_platform

Also, ew - Lexus makes some ugly cars, but this is at the top of the list IMO. Fwiw, our 2012 Toyota has paint that also chips very easily - it's magnetic grey metallic.

But yeah, the black granite paint is super, super soft. I love it from far away and hate it up close.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It just seems to be chipped on the front bumper and front edge of the hood mainly,the rest of the car doesnt have that many chips but yeah the body panels and doors along with the trim are lined up horribly when you look in certain lighting.I remember my other Cruze eco had like 3 small dimples on the top of trunk just from when it was slammed either by myself too hard or maybe the car wash,I didnt notice it until after it had happened with the light silver color

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
A lot of factors go into paint chipping on cars. Probably the biggest is where you drive. From my perspective tons of folks complain mightily about the paint on the 9th gen Civics, especially the black ones. Mine is two years old and not speck of damage anywhere. Had to pass a salt truck spewing salt over three lanes last winter and thought I was going to have a mess on my hands. It sounded like a hail storm on the sides. When I washed Black Betty a few days later, not a mark anywhere.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
381 Posts
Its not the salt as much as the rocks most cities are adding now because of the cost of salt. I rather have snow covered roads than rocks. There are a lot of factors in how one car gets more chips that others. Shapes of panels and aerodynamics, if you tail gate and the condition of the roads. I don't think the cruze paint chips any easier than any other car.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,603 Posts
I used to drive on the highway a ton. Bought my last car at 9 years old and it actually looked quite good all around, think it was used mostly as an in town car. 5 years later, the hood/grille area was just peppered with rock chips.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I also have a black Cruze. With dark colours, paint chips are just more noticeable because of the contrast between the light grey primer and the dark paint. No difference in actual number of chips in the paint compared to relative's cars of similar age when I look closely. Such is life with dark coloured cars... White and silver hide chips quite well, as long as they are small chips at least. I can't see them unless I get up close and nitpick like no passer-by ever would do.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
From any other vehicle I have owned the Cruze is a first PITA to keep clean. Can't stop the government from grinding up old tires with bits of steel on them, looks like rust spots all over.

Whatever this new paint is, is far more porous, get this on older vehicles, but easy to wipe off with solvent based paint. Can spend literally hours with a cray bar trying rub these off. But just drive on a newly paved road, loaded with this crap again.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
After a couple hundred of miles driving this thing and resetting the code a couple of times, only happens when driving slow, like less than 3 mph. Never sets on the highway, so whatever the problem is, once that code is set, it stays set. Would think if there isn't a problem the code would be reset automatically. But it just stays set.

After driving vehicles and owning them, even a Model T for years, would like to take these codes and shove them up someones butt. Can tell if an engine is running right or not. Did have the opportunity to purchase a 1912 Buick before these crazy collectors came around. But it didn't have a valve cover, had to stop every 15 minutes or so to oil the valves, OHV engines are not new. So opted for a little more convenience than this. Was around a 15 buck car back then.

If any vehicle needed a code, started in 1972 with the introduction of that EGR valve, if a cheap piece of vacuum hose unclamped fell off the carb, would end up burning the valves in your engine. Only took the automotive people about 15 years to recognize this problem. With that hose off, the performance and fuel economy would greatly increase. But with the minor convenience of burning up your engine.

See what the dealer says today, but tempted to drop in an old 454 that doesn't have all this nonsense. But I did this this, EPA would fine me to death.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Was watching Modern Marvels while they were showing this.

Simoniz GlassCoat Featured on "Modern Marvels"

Ha, thought I was watching a Simoniz Glasscoat commercial, but the voice of the narrator was the same.

50 bucks for a bottle of this stuff, can only wonder if it is as good as they say. Can't seem to find any other kind of wax to make washing this car easy.

As usual, can find negative reviews on any product on the web. Amazon does sell this stuff and wonder if its worth it.

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
After a couple hundred of miles driving this thing and resetting the code a couple of times, only happens when driving slow, like less than 3 mph. Never sets on the highway, so whatever the problem is, once that code is set, it stays set. Would think if there isn't a problem the code would be reset automatically. But it just stays set.

After driving vehicles and owning them, even a Model T for years, would like to take these codes and shove them up someones butt. Can tell if an engine is running right or not. Did have the opportunity to purchase a 1912 Buick before these crazy collectors came around. But it didn't have a valve cover, had to stop every 15 minutes or so to oil the valves, OHV engines are not new. So opted for a little more convenience than this. Was around a 15 buck car back then.

If any vehicle needed a code, started in 1972 with the introduction of that EGR valve, if a cheap piece of vacuum hose unclamped fell off the carb, would end up burning the valves in your engine. Only took the automotive people about 15 years to recognize this problem. With that hose off, the performance and fuel economy would greatly increase. But with the minor convenience of burning up your engine.

See what the dealer says today, but tempted to drop in an old 454 that doesn't have all this nonsense. But I did this this, EPA would fine me to death.
Nick - I think you intended this one for another thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts