Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally dropped off my car for service yesterday with a laundry list of issues to be looked at. I will have to do a new post all about that once I actually hear back from them. Its going to take 1-2 days to look over all of the issues with my 12' Cruze ECO.

I needed to get a rental vehicle for the time they have my car, which Stacy here on the forums was able to setup with the dealership and make my appointment. I got picked up from Enterprise and the dealer said they will "Cover the rental fee, only if a major issue is found". That is just a mess I will deal with later.

In driving this Impala though, I miss my Cruze already. Granted, the price tag of this Impala is 10k over the Cruze, it is in no way shape or form a better vehicle then the Cruze in my opinion. Its obviously a bigger car, which I am use to with driving Crown Vics, Marquis, Etc so I am use to the "boat" feel.

The power under the hood is decent, it picks up a lot quicker then the Cruze, but its almost scary the way the car shifts from side-to-side when under heavy throttle. I know I can drop a gear, slam the gas, and pull a good corner with no issues in the Cruze. I wouldn't dream of doing it in the Impala. The steering is also very poor. We have the electronic assist steering in the Cruze and it takes no effort to turn the wheel. I have gotten so use to that, its hard to jump in this Impala and have to actually use force to turn the steering wheel. Feels soo clunky.

The exterior of the Impala I have is nice. Its silver and has the REALLY nice LTZ rims, spoiler, and dual exhaust. It flows together to a degree. The inside of the car... It feels cheap and unattractive. Its very outdated and simple looking. Even the Key Fob makes me feel like its a 90s car. The Cruze beats the Impala hands down in interior appearance. It Cruze has a much modern feel, I like the layout better, and just seems more of its time. It doesn't carry out that green color dash like the Impala and the center console screen for the radio/AC controls is alot more modern feeling then the simple knob style. The simplicity of the Impala seems to be the same from back in the 90s and has not changed a whole lot in my opinion.

Overall, I think the Cruze beats out an Impala by far. Thats my opinion though.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
I drove my friends Impala rental and it accelerated like a bat out of ****.

What issues did you bring it in for? I did that in the beggining and 5 out of 6 issues were fixed, i am still awaiting one, but i keep forgetting to bring it up on my oil change visits.. And i didn't get a rental... At all... I was stuck with a shuttle, and the bus.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,306 Posts
I rented one a year ago (a 2011 LTZ) when my S70 T5 was in the body shop after being attacked in a parking lot.

Hated it. The 3.5L V6 was pathetic compared (still a **** pushrod!) to my 2.3 liter Volvo. The car drove like a huge boat. It was terrible on gas. The gear ratios were stupid long - some of the tallest I have EVER seen in a 4-speed transmission. 1st gear had a TON of initial acceleration, but there was NO around-town power at all from 2nd gear even standing on the gas pedal.

I guess it was definitely an upgrade from the Corolla/Cobalt I was supposed to have, though. I hate Corollas. So much.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
I rented one a year ago (a 2011 LTZ) when my S70 T5 was in the body shop after being attacked in a parking lot.

Hated it. The 3.5L V6 was pathetic compared (still a **** pushrod!) to my 2.3 liter Volvo. The car drove like a huge boat. It was terrible on gas. The gear ratios were stupid long - some of the tallest I have EVER seen in a 4-speed transmission. 1st gear had a TON of initial acceleration, but there was NO around-town power at all from 2nd gear even standing on the gas pedal.

I guess it was definitely an upgrade from the Corolla/Cobalt I was supposed to have, though. I hate Corollas. So much.
Me too. Long story.

And yeah the gears were out of wack.

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
I didn't mind the one I drove much. The interior felt cheap, but the car was quick. That pushrod motor makes 240hp and creates max torque at around 2000RPM. Impressive for a N/A motor. The gearing is a bit tall, but why you'd need to floor the gas in 2nd around town is beyond me. 1st should take you to at least 40mph. Highway passing speed was respectable.

·
17,306 Posts
Maybe mine was an LT...

2-lane road passing and coming off highway ramps into traffic moving 45+ in-town. I lived in a very rural, mountainy area. Tractors, trucks, etc. would die on the hills and hold up traffic and I don't have the patience for that crap.

The 3.9 makes 240 hp - still outdated. Most came with the 3.5 that puts out 210. For a V6, that's pathetic.

Highway passing power was OK, but you had to just about floor it to even get a downshift out of 4th gear on hills or you'd lose speed.

The 3.6 is supposed to be a huge improvement, and aren't they re-designing both the Impala and the Malibu?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
If it's going to take the dealer more than a day to work through the issues with your Cruze - the GM warranty covers the cost of a rental/loaner, regardless of major/minor issues.

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
Maybe mine was an LT...

2-lane road passing and coming off highway ramps into traffic moving 45+ in-town. I lived in a very rural, mountainy area. Tractors, trucks, etc. would die on the hills and hold up traffic and I don't have the patience for that crap.

The 3.9 makes 240 hp - still outdated. Most came with the 3.5 that puts out 210. For a V6, that's pathetic.

Highway passing power was OK, but you had to just about floor it to even get a downshift out of 4th gear on hills or you'd lose speed.

The 3.6 is supposed to be a huge improvement, and aren't they re-designing both the Impala and the Malibu?
Got them confused a bit, lol. Either way, not pathetic. It's pathetic if all you look at are the numbers. By comparison, the Cruze is pathetic compared to other cars of its class, but we all know that the 138hp in the Cruze is a heck of a lot more fun and goes a lot faster than the 138hp in the Civic or Elantra.

What's the torque curve? That's the question you should be asking yourself.

My 95 Regal was "pathetic" with 170hp and 225lb-ft of torque on a 3.8L, but I was spanking Civic Si drivers left and right.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

What issues did you bring it in for? I did that in the beggining and 5 out of 6 issues were fixed, i am still awaiting one, but i keep forgetting to bring it up on my oil change visits.. And i didn't get a rental... At all... I was stuck with a shuttle, and the bus.
- Gas Gauge
- Trunk Issues
- Grinding 1st-2nd Shift
- Driver Side Chair Squeeked / Wouldn't Lift Up
- Weird Buzzing Sound that continued to go on even with car off for a few minutes
- Get the clutched checked for the batch of bad ones
- TSB for Engine Hesitiation / Other TSBs

There was one or two other things I am missing...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's going to take the dealer more than a day to work through the issues with your Cruze - the GM warranty covers the cost of a rental/loaner, regardless of major/minor issues.
I was advised unless a "major issue is found", they will be making me pay for the loaner. Regardless, I got Stacy on my side and she is putting me in contact with people who will ensure I don't pay for it :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't mind the one I drove much. The interior felt cheap, but the car was quick. That pushrod motor makes 240hp and creates max torque at around 2000RPM. Impressive for a N/A motor. The gearing is a bit tall, but why you'd need to floor the gas in 2nd around town is beyond me. 1st should take you to at least 40mph. Highway passing speed was respectable.
It'll haul ass to 60 in a heartbeat. It has quite the power in my opinion for what it is. Gearing is crap though. I agree on that. It just seems like they are using that "If its not broke, don't fix it" mentality with the Impala until the new one comes out.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Also -

I complained I can't be without a car. They were only going to offer me a shuttle. Stacy set it up and they got me a rental. I got too much stuff going on to be without a car.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Last spring, we could have picked up a 2011 Impala for the same price as an Eco, first the dealer said $5,000 off than said, if you buy it now, will give you $7,000 off. We test drove it, while my wife never liked my 92 DeVille, the Impala was the same size. And ironically, even though the Impala has a much smaller engine than my old DeVille had, its EPA fuel economy was lower.

Besides she wanted a manual transmission. It depends on your needs and objectives, typically, just the two of us in the car, and getting a free extra 13-17 mpg was our key objective. We still get there, have comfort, and get there just as fast even with the extra HP in the Impala.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
The 2012 should have the 303 hp 3.6 under the hood and a 6-speed automatic.

There's nothing wrong with pushrod engines. Look at the LS engines. Those are some very well-respected engines, and they're still pushrod. Pushrod is much newer tech than DOHC, to boot! DOHC first came about in 1919, while pushrod engines for automotive use came about in 1949.

I liked the pushrod 3800 V6 in my old LeSabre. It had tons of power and got very good gas mileage, to boot.

·
17,306 Posts
The 3800 was a great engine - back in our 1987 Century. The Jeep 4.0L was a great engine too, but they finally killed it off years ago.

My point was just that the Impala is (was) seriously outdated - one of the reasons I think GM fell into trouble in the first place. I owned a 2003 V6 Camry (handed down from my grandfather) for 2 years before it was rear-ended, and it was a much better car in just about every respect - 8 years of technology before the 2011 Impala.

DOHC engines are just more practical and can be set up for more power from a smaller engine - which means that thing everyone wants now - fuel efficiency without sacrificing power. Big displacement engines are the old American way of doing things, and they're getting to be a thing of the past. Auto manufacturers are looking to small displacement, turbocharged engines now more than ever. V8's and even V6's to an extent are falling out of favor. As a comparison between the two, compare my dad's 3.7L pushrod Liberty of my sister's 3.0L DOHC Escape. The Escape is almost a sports car in comparison for 2 SUVs that are practically the same - similar curb weight, 4 speed transmissions with similar ratios, 210 hp vs 201 hp. The Escape will outperform the Liberty in any test until you take it off-road. And gets much better MPG.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
I used to be anti - push rod engines. I guess I was infatuated with the euro designed engines. Then I got my LS1 GTO - nice!! Besides my 2011 Cruze ECO, I also have a 1988 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde 5M. That car has a 3 litre aluminum block/head 60 degree V-6 with hemispherical combustion chambers. It is a Single Overhead Cam design, with the cam shafts directly acting on the intake valves and very short push rods and rocker arms pushing the exhaust valves open (sodium filled).

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
You also did give them a list, be patient lol. They only work 8 hours a day. :p

Also they barely make money on a car under warranty, a friend once told me that works at GM.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You also did give them a list, be patient lol. They only work 8 hours a day. :p

Also they barely make money on a car under warranty, a friend once told me that works at GM.
Well its their fault for making faultyness :p

I spoke with a District Rep.. She seemed nice, but also unforgiving. When I brought up the rental issue, she said they will "Determine if the cause of the issues is driver related." I've had the car 3 months, I barely put 3k miles on it. I told her I barely have gotten to enjoy the car. Sheesh.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The rep is being so blunt about the fact that she doesn't trust you. What a cynic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts