Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the chance today to drive my Cruze through some sustained 30 mph winds with gusts over 40 mph. Even when the car was hit by the strongest crosswinds, it barely moved. Those gusts were heard more than felt. A tiny correction and the car was back on line. The car got hit from all angles during various parts of the drive as my route changed direction, and simply wasn't bothered by the wind. This has to be the best car I've driven in strong winds. Granted, it's a Eco with all the aero bits to help cheat the wind.

My question is two-fold:
1. For the LS/LT/LTZ folks, how do your cars handle strong winds?
2. Eco folks, are your experiences similar to mine?

Reactions: DrVette

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Never had issues with winds in the Cruze, even when driving through wide open farmland it goes straight. Now my transit connect for work? Make it float and it'd be a great sailboat

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Didn't drive my ECO today in the strong wind. If I recall have not had a problem in cross winds. Drove my heavier 2004 GTO though today on the highway, it is not affected much by strong winds either.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I used to think my cruze was great until I got the lower engine shield chopped for the recall. I don't care what GM says it is worse in strong head/cross winds since then, I get pulled/blown all over. 1LT with RS package & 16in tires.

Sadly I would now give the car an average rating, before it was awesome.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I should also add that speed does play a factor too, driving into a head/cross wind from Texas to Iowa at 60-70mph I got blown all over, but at 75-80mph I have enough power down to cut through a good 30mph constant wind with ease.

Around here interstates are 65mph so I have to deal with the increased drag GM's "Fix" added.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I haven't had any trouble in winds, and didn't notice any difference after the dealership butchered my shield. My wife doesn't seem to like how the Cruze feels in the wind, but she's been driving her 03 Caddy (tank) for the last 200k miles, so I don't think it's really a fair comparison.

·
Registered
779 Posts
We had 40-50mph wind gusts the past 2 days. I was on the interstate and it was blowing very hard coming at me. Car was planted quite well for the situation. It did however feel like my car was going to lift once or twice but I was doing 85 :lol:

·
Registered
138 Posts
It was quite windy here yesterday and I did feel a little insecure due to the icy roads, but didn't have a problem. I would say it moves around as much as any other car I have owned, no better, no worse. That's with a 2012 LT.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,540 Posts
I usedta come up a Mountain pass coming back to school. At the NC/VA border coming up I77, there's a huge climb with a drop into a valley on your right.

The trucks stick to the right climbing lane at 35 mph (you see them blowing all over as well), I tended to stick to the middle lane and not push my car too hard, and the people with powerful cars with some place to be zipped by at 70+ mph in the left lane.

I used to have a little wedge-shaped 80s Honda, and passing a truck one day, a wind gust caught the side of my car and pushed me over an entire lane and almost into the guardrail. Scared the #%^* out of me, and I was lucky no one was there.

I've driven the Cruze on a really windy day, seen other cars blowing around their lanes, and it felt very planted and solid.

I like having a porky little car. It weighs almost as much as my old tank of a Volvo, but the torque from the little turbo (mostly) makes up for its fatness. It's just as quick as other cars like a Civic in its class with similar (or more) HP because of that torque.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I've driven in ECO MT in 40-50 mph sustained winds with gusts near 70. It doesn't matter what speed I drive or which way the wind is blowing relative to my travel direction, this is the best planted car I've driven. MPGs on the other hand with a 40 MPH head wind is a different story. It makes for an effective 100+ air speed and really sucks down the fuel.

·
17,540 Posts
I've driven in ECO MT in 40-50 mph sustained winds with gusts near 70. It doesn't matter what speed I drive or which way the wind is blowing relative to my travel direction, this is the best planted car I've driven. MPGs on the other hand with a 40 MPH head wind is a different story. It makes for an effective 100+ air speed and really sucks down the fuel.
Effectively doubling the power the little engine produces on its own by being in full boost will do that ;)

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Didn't drive my ECO today in the strong wind. If I recall have not had a problem in cross winds.
Have not had the dealer mod done to my engine lower aero panel either.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Was it windy yesterday? I could only tell when I was walking to my car in the parking park. Once I shut my door, it like I was in a impenetrable fortress (ok, that may be going a little far). Gust of over 50mph and the car was straight as an arrow going ~80mph.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
2012 ECO here, side gusts & meeting 18 wheelers yield No buffeting or issues.
Also,.drafting from any distance helps very little, odd.
You get more results by driving "ahead" of large vehicles (100'+) this gives a felt push!

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
This has been my experience as well, and I'd wager the reason for this is the global nature of the design. In countries with a high (or unlimited) speed limit like Germany, the car needs to stay planted and safe at speeds in excess of 100mph.

We've had some pretty strong wind gusts here in the last couple of days, but nothing that has made me feel unsafe. I will say, however, that the tires will make a notable difference in how stable the car feels on the road. These Blizzaks I have on right now are pretty soft.

·
Registered
154 Posts
2LT (1SB) w/ RS.

Had really heavy winds for the past two days. City/Driving both were very stable while people were struggling to walk/drive.

I noticed this fact about Cruze yesterday - very stable experience for me so far. Car didn't even swerve at all.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is my experience as well.

Then again, I drove a minivan before I got the Cruze. Compared to the van, anything would have been an improvement. I remember driving on the east-west part of the Edens headed to the Tri-State, and hitting about a 30 mph wind coming from the north-west. First, the van felt like it was going to take flight, then it was a fight until I started heading north on the Tri-State. I had to slow down to keep it in my lane.

·
17,540 Posts
This is my experience as well.

Then again, I drove a minivan before I got the Cruze. Compared to the van, anything would have been an improvement. I remember driving on the east-west part of the Edens headed to the Tri-State, and hitting about a 30 mph wind coming from the north-west. First, the van felt like it was going to take flight, then it was a fight until I started heading north on the Tri-State. I had to slow down to keep it in my lane.
I had a similar experience in an ex's Chevy Tracker. 65 mph on the Interstate was scary in that thing. 70-75 was like a roller coaster ride (assuming you could get it going that fast).

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
i have driven in high cross winds and you can notice a small push but nothing to write home about almost as if the road itself was pitched not the wind pushing. It does not float around like a truck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts