Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! I had to start my 2005 Odyssesy with a dead battery. At the time I was a little skeptical because we (cruzen) have a dual voltage alternator, so was not sure how that would work out. Turns out it was no problem, at all- love this car!

One curious thing though, is the battery terminals are as dry as a bone. My other cars have some sort of grease on the terminals. Oh well- car runs fine, so i'll leave it alone ....

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
The plastic covers do a good job isolating the terminals , like that the positive terminal cover flips up for easy access.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Saw full covers in the 2011's, cut that down to a half a cover in the 2012's. Curious about how long those fuses will last sitting right on top of that battery. Still a 200 year old lead acid battery.

Could only replace it with one just like it, wonder if they will stay be making one like that a few years from now.

Maybe I should quit wondering.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks NickD- i'll try the grease before the next winter.

LOVE the easy access to the terminals on the battery. Love the size of the flip- up cover. Easy to use with gloves on ....

Also never needed to rev the engine at all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
At the time I was a little skeptical because we (cruzen) have a dual voltage alternator, so was not sure how that would work out.
Can you explain the dual voltage alternator? I haven't heard of that before. Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Alternator output is varibale based on load/demand & battery voltage. Running I have seen as low as 12.7V and as high as 15V.
All alternators do that. By adjusting the field voltage inside via regulator and PCM feedback, the output voltage fluctuates based on charge or load needs.
To answer my own question, a dual voltage alternator has distinct separate outputs for 12v, 24v, or even 48v to run accessories that require more than 12v. I don't think the Cruze alternator is dual voltage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts