Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've never had any problems with my 2012 Chevy Cruze since I bought it new off the lot. It has about 47k miles on it.

However, about a week ago I turned the key to my car and it didn't start on the first try. After the second it started normally.
Since then it takes about an extra 1-2 seconds to turn on (including all the electronics), but otherwise is fine. I don't hear the engine cranking (though maybe it's just really quiet), and I've had the power steering warning come on one or two times while it's starting then disappear. Also on a possibly unrelated note, my horn sounds really weak lately...

Anyway, should I be concerned at this point or do I just let it be?

Thanks!
-MW

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
How old is the battery? If over five years it may be warning you that you'll be walking soon.

Since you mention the power steering warning I would suspect a failing negative battery cable (special service policy) as well.

Rob

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Another vote for a negative battery cable. The power steering message is usually the first indicator.

Could also be a failing battery; the OEM batteries seem not to last terribly long on these cars, and if it's still original at 6 years, it is definitely probably very near the end of its lifespan.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
My battery was showing signs of failing at 4 years 8 months. When listening to the radio for an hour on ACC the car wouldn't start. I just put a new battery in and all is well now. I live in Australia and drive a Holden Cruze and don't think the negative cable is a problem here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out it was the battery. Went to autozone and paid about $130 for the replacement/installation. Everything is working perfectly again, thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts