Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well that should silence the critics (but it probably won't...)

:eusa_clap:
Cruze leads Chevy to record global sales
:eusa_clap:

DETROIT, MI-
General Motors Co.
Sunday reported that global sales of its Chevrolet brand during the first three months of this year were 1.18 million, marking the sixth consecutive quarter of record-breaking sales for the brand.The Detroit-based automaker attributed the 6.5 percent first-quarter increase from the first three months of 2011 to its "strongest lineup" in the brand's more than 100-year history -- led by the Chevrolet Cruze.GM sold more than 180,000 Cruzes from January through March, an almost 20 percent jump from the same time in 2011.

GM: Cruze leads Chevy to record global sales | MLive.com

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
WOW. That's a lot of cars.

Reading the single comment and following it's link I see that the critics are already trying to discount the fact that an American company is doing well. I find it interesting that they are comparing "retail sales" with dealer inventory levels. Retail sales can only come with dealer inventories. I also find it interesting that the critique doesn't address retail sales at all, just inventory levels, which I suspect GM was addressing by shutting down the Volt production lines earlier this spring. The critique also didn't address the inventory levels after the Volt production pause either.

I long ago realized that regardless of what the US Government or large US Companies do (with or without US Government assistance), there will always be US haters.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
WOW. That's a lot of cars.

Reading the single comment and following it's link I see that the critics are already trying to discount the fact that an American company is doing well. I find it interesting that they are comparing "retail sales" with dealer inventory levels. Retail sales can only come with dealer inventories. I also find it interesting that the critique doesn't address retail sales at all, just inventory levels, which I suspect GM was addressing by shutting down the Volt production lines earlier this spring. The critique also didn't address the inventory levels after the Volt production pause either.

I long ago realized that regardless of what the US Government or large US Companies do (with or without US Government assistance), there will always be US haters.
I re-read your comment several times took me about 10 minutes to figure out what you were talking about, until I realized you were referring to the first reader comment on the article. I followed the link in that reader's comment and it goes to a blog for hedge fund traders.

What's even odder is that blog is written by a guy who uses the monniker "Tyler Durden" who was the main character in "Fight Club".

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I re-read your comment several times took me about 10 minutes to figure out what you were talking about, until I realized you were referring to the first reader comment on the article. I followed the link in that reader's comment and it goes to a blog for hedge fund traders.

What's even odder is that blog is written by a guy who uses the monniker "Tyler Durden" who was the main character in "Fight Club".
Sorry about not be clearer about the reference to the original article. I'm not a "Fight Club" fan so I didn't get the reference.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about not be clearer about the reference to the original article. I'm not a "Fight Club" fan so I didn't get the reference.
It's still an interesting perspective, but I don't now how relevant it is. I agree with your analysis that keeping dealer lots full helps sales (for example, by preventing lost sales and having lots of cars available for people to see). But the bottom line is still the actual number of sales, which does not seem to be in question.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Another reason to keep the dealer lots full is psychological. If I drive by a dealership with a largely empty lot I wonder if that dealership will be around when I need warranty service.

I thought it was interesting that the entire premise of the "rebuttal" was that GM has raised the number of cars sitting on dealership lots and not on the actual sales of those cars. This leads to the misleading conclusion that GM isn't selling cars. Frankly, my dealership (Ed Bozarth Lone Tree) is buying Cruzen and Volts from other dealerships because they can't keep them on their lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts