Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really did like this car but.....I purchased my Cruz 8 months ago and only had 6,800mi when last week while I was driving with my child in tow..this really hot coolant started shooting out from under the dashboard onto my leg which caused 2nd degree burns. I was told a clip on a pipe located under the dash had broke and the pipe burst and when asked why Chevy was unable to give a reason. Has this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I do not recall reading about anybody being burned by leaking coolant but there have been some people who had trouble with leaking heater cores/lines. Generally these people say they could smell coolant or experienced fogging and condensation on the windows.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
the entire hvac system in the cruze is pretty shoddy. there have been numerous issues of a/c problems along with coolant and or burning smells coming from the heater. I read about the same thing happening to someone else on another site awhile back. I am really not a fan of the location of the heater core as it throws off so much heat near the gas pedal and like with what happened to you getting sprayed with coolant from a clamp failure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did you contact GM about this?? If not, I would do so NOW! The more aware they are of people having certain problems, the better they can look into it.

I'm soo sorry to read that you got those kinds of burns! OUCH! That really stinks on a car so new.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Gee, I wonder what part of the far east that hose and clamp came from?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very interesting, I just had my oil changed and was informed the coolant level was low. Tech added coolant, dye and pressure tested, no leaks found. GM has a PI saying if no visible leaks wait for the engineers to come out with a fix. I have no odor or fogging of thw windows so I'm leaning away from an interior leak. Hope I don't get sprayed!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Here are some excerpts from the Dex-Cool safety informations sheet:

"EMERGENCY OVERVIEW
Orange liquid. Mild odor.
- HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED
- CAUSES EYE IRRITATION
- MAY CAUSE ADVERSE REPRODUCTIVE EFFECTS BASED ON ANIMAL DATA
- POSSIBLE BIRTH DEFECT HAZARD - CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT MAY CAUSE BIRTH DEFECTS
BASED ON ANIMAL DATA
- MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO:
- KIDNEY
************************************************************************************************************************
IMMEDIATE HEALTH EFFECTS
Eye: Contact with the eyes causes irritation. Symptoms may include pain, tearing, reddening, swelling
and impaired vision.
Skin: Contact with the skin is not expected to cause prolonged or significant irritation. Not expected to be
harmful to internal organs if absorbed through the skin.
Ingestion: Toxic; may be harmful or fatal if swallowed.
Inhalation: The vapor or fumes from this material may cause respiratory irritation."

"DELAYED OR OTHER HEALTH EFFECTS:
Reproduction and Birth Defects: May cause adverse reproductive effects based on animal data.
Contains material that may be harmful to the developing fetus based on animal data."

Not very comforting to learn other Cruze's are having this problem. Just went as far to check under the hood, wonder if they did long term test on plastic and quick couplers. Just made sure mine were on tight and keep a close look at the coolant level.

So far as I can determine, no recalls on this subject. Heater core is always hot, blend door determines the amount of heat you get. No way to cut coolant flow to the heater core, also a part of the engine cooling system.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
one thing i have discovered is that if I turn the temp knob all the way to cool the heater duct will blow cool air but all around it will blow blazing hot air which is why I always felt heat in the summer unless i turned ac on.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I really did like this car but.....I purchased my Cruz 8 months ago and only had 6,800mi when last week while I was driving with my child in tow..this really hot coolant started shooting out from under the dashboard onto my leg which caused 2nd degree burns. I was told a clip on a pipe located under the dash had broke and the pipe burst and when asked why Chevy was unable to give a reason. Has this happen to anyone else?

TEERONI,
I would like to apologize for the issue that you have experienced with your Cruze. I would like to look into this for you. Can you please send me a PM with your personal information (full name, address and phone number), VIN number, current mileage and the name of your dealership? I look forward to hearing back from you.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank everyone for their input. I have contacted GM and currently driving a rental. Someone posted its probably just my car...I really hope so even though it seems as if some people are having heater core problems which prior to this incident my car didnt have ANY issues.

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.