Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just took delivery a LT turbo...so far so good...just one question for those who have taken delivery..

when moving forward everyonce in awhile..there's a slight hesistation or skip when pressing the gas pedal...hard to describe but if you experience this you will know what i mean..

only gone approx 70 miles but me and others have experienced this...could be our unfamiliarity with the pedal??? or i thought i read that the computer(transmission) has to get use to our driving habits? or am i dreaming on that ...

i don't want to take it in yet because it is early....so just canvassing to the few who have driven...

thank you

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, mine did that as well. I just finished the full tank the dealer gave me and refilled with 93. Hesitation is gone. They say 87 but I am starting to wonder...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx for that..never thought the fuel needs to be cleaned out and filled with some good fuel

·
Registered
88 Posts
My personal guess after being around performance GM vehicles for a good part of my adult life. Is that hesitation you are feeling is the PCM pulling timing due to the very low RPM turbo spool creating higher cylinder pressures causing some minor detonation. I am not a pro nor have I stayed in a holiday in express recently...

The fact they recommend 87 on a turbo motor, baffles me.

Also, you will notice that the transmission shifts lazier than an overweight sloth.

I can not wait for HP tuners to crack this PCM, getting a proper transmission tune will be AMAZING for this car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It is even slower to respond in manual mode. I was playing with it the other day, literally seconds go by after bumping the lever for a gear change.

Oye!

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
It is even slower to respond in manual mode. I was playing with it the other day, literally seconds go by after bumping the lever for a gear change.

Oye!
agreed, manual mode is slow. imo it's only useful for holding a gear through a turn, otherwise the car may upshift on it's own

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine has the hestiation too. To me, it is a combo of turbo lag and the 6 speed tranny. For two new Ford 6 speed autos have the same issue. Thankfully, my Mustang is a manual. Anyway, it seems to be somewhat normal for these new 6 speed autos.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There is no turbo lag with this car, it is at full boost by 2000rpm. It is at 2k almost immediately.

What I am noticing is that the transmission has some kind false neutral when sitting at a stop. You can feel the car vibrate a bit when first on the brakes, it then goes away. If you release the brake while it still has the vibration it takes off quickly with no hesitation. If you sit at a stop for 10-20 sec and then quickly release the brake and hit the gas it will hesitate.

I am wondering if this feature has something to do with gas savings or something. I will find out as soon as HP cracks the PCM and we can get in and do some logging .

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
There is no turbo lag with this car, it is at full boost by 2000rpm. It is at 2k almost immediately.

What I am noticing is that the transmission has some kind false neutral when sitting at a stop. You can feel the car vibrate a bit when first on the brakes, it then goes away. If you release the brake while it still has the vibration it takes off quickly with no hesitation. If you sit at a stop for 10-20 sec and then quickly release the brake and hit the gas it will hesitate.

I am wondering if this feature has something to do with gas savings or something. I will find out as soon as HP cracks the PCM and we can get in and do some logging .
try stopping on a tiny hill/bump and then letting off the brake, the car actually rolls back for a split second before it kicks into first. its putting the car into neutral for some reason.

i've tried both 87 and 93 octane and noticed no difference. there is no turbo lag on this car and i'm not convinced a higher octane does anything for the car.

the last bit is just my opinion though

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think it's in the manual..or i read it somewhere else...the car shifts to neutral when the brake is applied to save the transmission ...as soon as foot is off brake transmission kicks in..so on a hill...it will roll back first..was quite a shock the first few times...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I beg to differ. Yes the car acts like describe. But, there is turbo lag. Try passing someone from 60-80 mph. I've driven all sorts of blown perormance machines and this has turbo lag. However, it is not bad compared to older small turbo engines.

·
Registered
88 Posts
what you are describing is the opposite of turbo lag. This thing make tons of instant low end tq and runs out of air above 3500. (where you pass) due to the very small integrated turbo. Running out of air /turbo lag.

This is turbo lag, notice how long it takes for the boost gauge to move, then it almost instantly hits full boost. The old 911's were deadly because of the power lagging then instantly hitting.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
100% agreed with bpipe. its NOT turbo lag, off the line i can feel it hitting peak turbo almost right away. its the top end that is lacking, hence passing at 60+mph seems a bit lackluster

·
Registered
193 Posts
It still feels like lag to me. It hesitates to kick in and then kicks in well. I've read two magazine reviews of this car and engine package and apparently their experts agree with what I'm saying.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is that hesitation you are feeling is the PCM pulling timing due to the very low RPM turbo spool creating higher cylinder pressures causing some minor detonation. I am not a pro nor have I stayed in a holiday in express recently...
Totally off topic but that is hilarious :D :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
It still feels like lag to me. It hesitates to kick in and then kicks in well. I've read two magazine reviews of this car and engine package and apparently their experts agree with what I'm saying.

That would be the piss poor factory transmission tune, that is packed full of torque management.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well there is lag, its a 1.4 liter turbo.. until the turbo kicks its barely a 70 hp motor trying to drag 3100 lbs of the line. its a split second difference. Also 93 octane does give a good torque response when cruzing.. and yes there is a roll back, the transmission drops the gear and goes neutral to save some fuel. this will change when u open the bottle neck on both sides the intake and the exhaust. But thats a diff story. Also I noticed if u roll start then stop start car does not feel slow, it could be that drive by wire system is not dialed in correctly, u can buy this product called sprint booster which fools the ECU and improves throtel response

·
Registered
598 Posts
Wow, if you read it in a magazine, it must be true :D

It is a 1400 cc engine with a 6 speed auto tuned for mileage. What do you expect?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts