Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a Rental Spark and there is nothing redeeming to say about it, a hideous car. More Turbo pep than I thought for a 90 HP Car, don't quote me on this? Anyway the Rear backup Camera projects a full grid similar to what is used on NFL games with the Yellow 1st Down Marker. It helps you back up straight and shows danger areas on both sides of the vehicle. I know there are many other safety features not available on the U.S. CRUZE but this camera grid is an excellent feature and belongs on our units as well!

· Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Dont know of any Spark having a turbo. The Spark EV is an awesome car, if you haven't driven one. 400Lb ft of torque and the traction control lights just blinks at you. I'ts awesome.

Reactions: Merc6

· Premium Member
368 Posts
Agreed. Resolution/color is also very blotchy. Had a Civic for a brief time before the Cruze and it's rear backup camera had lines and a much higher resolution camera, albeit smaller screen. Anyway it made perfect alignment while backing into a parking spot a breeze. Fortunately I've found the Cruze easy to parallel park without curb rash as when the body panels line up with the curb in the pass side mirror, the wheels about 3-6" away... just right.

Maybe someday there'll be an update to MyLink which will include this. I have my doubts but a guy can hope.

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Anyway the Rear backup Camera projects a full grid similar to what is used on NFL games with the Yellow 1st Down Marker. It helps you back up straight and shows danger areas on both sides of the vehicle. I know there are many other safety features not available on the U.S. CRUZE but this camera grid is an excellent feature and belongs on our units as well!
If I recall correctly, early model Cruzen had the grid lines, but then they were de-contented. Early on, you could turn the grid on and off by going through a setup menu. I noticed this when I was car shopping.

The backup camera display on my car has some really nice features.
1. Three views; 180 degree wide angle for backing out of tight places (lets you see what's coming from either side as soon as the bumper clears the cars on either side of you), single lane view for backing into tight spots, and a top down view for backing up to a wall or parking block.
2. The grid lines can be turned on and off with the toggle of a button.
3. The brightness of the displayed image can be adjusted if the automatic brightness doesn't suit you.
All of these features are adjustable from the backup display without having to go through any menus.

10,589 Posts
If I recall correctly, early model Cruzen had the grid lines, but then they were de-contented. Early on, you could turn the grid on and off by going through a setup menu. I noticed this when I was car shopping.

1. Three views; 180 degree wide angle for backing out of tight places (lets you see what's coming from either side as soon as the bumper clears the cars on either side of you), single lane view for backing into tight spots, and a top down view for backing up to a wall or parking block.
3. The brightness of the displayed image can be adjusted if the automatic brightness doesn't suit you.
All of these features are adjustable from the backup display without having to go through any menus.
One of our guys got a new Civic and the camera on the passenger mirror is nice. They come with soo much interesting technology but I'm still not a fan of the civic.

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

Yes but you don't drive a CRUZE? It must be set to G.M's wide angle setting because the view is spectacular. Problem is the little CRUZE is just as wide as my FULL SIZED Sonata was and I have this tiny $25 a month Garage. Looking at the Camera is mesmerizing but the CRUZE backs up and turns on a dime, and since the mirrors don't fold I know I'm going to lose another mirror while watching the Camera? I could use that Grid and will look to see if it is still an option in the 14!

· Resident Forum Drunkard
8,257 Posts
Reads as if you like that rental more than your Cruzen . Maybe you should just swap and try to pull the wool out of your eyes because it is making you sound like you are Blind . What the hay the backer up feature is what you most Desire .

Maybe the Dealer can kick in an addition 8K for your Troubles !

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
One of our guys got a new Civic and the camera on the passenger mirror is nice. They come with soo much interesting technology but I'm still not a fan of the civic.
Yeah, my friend's Accord does that too! Cool feature.

I had considered one for a while, but after spending some time in their car, it's not for me...too many little things I dislike about it.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Ha, often wondered how I passed my driver's license test with a 37 Olds, parallel parking, was around 9" shorter than I am now. Two very tiny high up windows in the rear, only open space. Hood was blocking the right front fender, no side view mirrors.

Was on a decline, front wheels had to be turned to the far right with a roll forward until the tires just touched the curb. Saw one of these cars at Iola, roof was still much taller than I am now.

This is when I could really use a rear view camera. Cruze, iffy. Focus, yes, all I could see when test driving this car was air. 22' long 73 Fleetwood was easy, could see the tip of the right front and rear fenders for better judgement in real tight spaces.

· Epic Beard Man
5,353 Posts
Yeah, my friend's Accord does that too! Cool feature.

I had considered one for a while, but after spending some time in their car, it's not for me...too many little things I dislike about it.
-J, a Fusion is for you. Period. Make it happen.

· Registered
18 Posts
I've never understood why our backup camera does not have any indicator markings.

It's hard to judge actual distance, hence why I never pay any attention to it.

My mom's Optima has this feature along with many others. Seems like a oversight on Chevy's part.
I don't find it that hard. The rear view camera on my 2014 shows the back ledge of by bumper on the bottom of the picture. I know that is my bumper and gives me a way to judge the distance. Personally I always found the grid lines confusing and distracting.

I use my side and rear view mirrors to line me up then look over to the camera only to make sure im not going to hit my rear bumper on something.

· Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't find it that hard. The rear view camera on my 2014 shows the back ledge of by bumper on the bottom of the picture. I know that is my bumper and gives me a way to judge the distance. Personally I always found the grid lines confusing and distracting.

I use my side and rear view mirrors to line me up then look over to the camera only to make sure im not going to hit my rear bumper on something.
You have seen this right? You must be a driving expert? Have you and Jack Daniels from Chicago seen my little shack we call a garage? Thanks for your point of view, use caution!

· Registered
288 Posts
Eddy most cars have these sweet little features called Side mirrors, and what they do when properly adjusted is give you a little fixed screen to see behind you on either side of the car, theyre great for things like...Making sure you dont scrape the side of your car backing into a tight garage :p

· Registered
18 Posts
You have seen this right? You must be a driving expert? Have you and Jack Daniels from Chicago seen my little shack we call a garage? Thanks for your point of view, use caution!
I was honestly trying to help you. Some people don't realize the bottom of the screen is the bumper

No I haven't seen YOUR garage but I HAVE spent a few years driving in Europe and parking garages and spots there will make people in the US have a panic attack (yes i have seen it happen). Imagine a spot where a fiat 500 is large and you need a 2-3 point turn to get it out of a spot. I have also driven and parked 30+ foot trailers being towed behind 28' box trucks into cul de sac driveways (no backup cameras).

If this garage is new to you it will become more familiar over time and you will start to notice how close you can park it without risk once you reset your comfort zone. If need be measure out your garage and set up a "safe" garage with cones or trashcans in a parking lot and practice (yes I do this when i feel im losing skills with what ever rig or motorcycle im on)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.