Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

CRUZE missing an interesting Feature?

8K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  Eddy Cruze 
#1 ·
I'm in a Rental Spark and there is nothing redeeming to say about it, a hideous car. More Turbo pep than I thought for a 90 HP Car, don't quote me on this? Anyway the Rear backup Camera projects a full grid similar to what is used on NFL games with the Yellow 1st Down Marker. It helps you back up straight and shows danger areas on both sides of the vehicle. I know there are many other safety features not available on the U.S. CRUZE but this camera grid is an excellent feature and belongs on our units as well!

#2 ·
Dont know of any Spark having a turbo. The Spark EV is an awesome car, if you haven't driven one. 400Lb ft of torque and the traction control lights just blinks at you. I'ts awesome.

Reactions: Merc6
#4 ·
Agreed. Resolution/color is also very blotchy. Had a Civic for a brief time before the Cruze and it's rear backup camera had lines and a much higher resolution camera, albeit smaller screen. Anyway it made perfect alignment while backing into a parking spot a breeze. Fortunately I've found the Cruze easy to parallel park without curb rash as when the body panels line up with the curb in the pass side mirror, the wheels about 3-6" away... just right.

Maybe someday there'll be an update to MyLink which will include this. I have my doubts but a guy can hope.

#17 ·
I don't find it that hard. The rear view camera on my 2014 shows the back ledge of by bumper on the bottom of the picture. I know that is my bumper and gives me a way to judge the distance. Personally I always found the grid lines confusing and distracting.

I use my side and rear view mirrors to line me up then look over to the camera only to make sure im not going to hit my rear bumper on something.

#9 ·
Anyway the Rear backup Camera projects a full grid similar to what is used on NFL games with the Yellow 1st Down Marker. It helps you back up straight and shows danger areas on both sides of the vehicle. I know there are many other safety features not available on the U.S. CRUZE but this camera grid is an excellent feature and belongs on our units as well!
If I recall correctly, early model Cruzen had the grid lines, but then they were de-contented. Early on, you could turn the grid on and off by going through a setup menu. I noticed this when I was car shopping.

The backup camera display on my car has some really nice features.
1. Three views; 180 degree wide angle for backing out of tight places (lets you see what's coming from either side as soon as the bumper clears the cars on either side of you), single lane view for backing into tight spots, and a top down view for backing up to a wall or parking block.
2. The grid lines can be turned on and off with the toggle of a button.
3. The brightness of the displayed image can be adjusted if the automatic brightness doesn't suit you.
All of these features are adjustable from the backup display without having to go through any menus.

#13 ·
Reads as if you like that rental more than your Cruzen . Maybe you should just swap and try to pull the wool out of your eyes because it is making you sound like you are Blind . What the hay the backer up feature is what you most Desire .

Maybe the Dealer can kick in an addition 8K for your Troubles !

#15 ·
Ha, often wondered how I passed my driver's license test with a 37 Olds, parallel parking, was around 9" shorter than I am now. Two very tiny high up windows in the rear, only open space. Hood was blocking the right front fender, no side view mirrors.

Was on a decline, front wheels had to be turned to the far right with a roll forward until the tires just touched the curb. Saw one of these cars at Iola, roof was still much taller than I am now.

This is when I could really use a rear view camera. Cruze, iffy. Focus, yes, all I could see when test driving this car was air. 22' long 73 Fleetwood was easy, could see the tip of the right front and rear fenders for better judgement in real tight spaces.

#23 ·
The mirrors DO fold in. Get out and push it in towards the door.

Even on the cars with automatic folding mirrors (like Kias and MB's), the mirrors come out when you start the car...
Can't wait to get the CRUZE back as I didn't know this. I never read the manual, just have a copy on my Computer and it clearly says you are right. Thank you really!

#24 ·
I used the backup camera in my son's 2013 ECO MT and found it useful for ensuring nothing behind me, but being an old trailer hauler I use my side view mirrors heavily. I'll even point them down so I can see the pavement next to my car if needed.

#25 ·
The Camera has a great field of view and I'm glad I have it. Yet Video Displays can distract you and this garage of mine has always been a problem with the mirrors until a few hours ago! Now if only someone would tell me our CRUZE headrest was active not passive and adjusted. I had that 25 years ago in the Colt.

#29 ·
Now if only someone would tell me our CRUZE headrest was active not passive and adjusted. I had that 25 years ago in the Colt.
There is a reason the headrest is not more adjustable..... safety. Sit in your cruze seat and tip your head forward until your chin is touching your chest. Now lean back until your neck is touching the heat rest, thing fits like a glove. As you can now see its designed to capture your head/neck during an accident, not for your comfort during every day driving.

#26 ·
Yours has it?

Picture please
It was on a diesel model I looked at, the guy said there was two different types of cameras, apparently the high class camera has no lines and bumper sensors(I bought this one). The lower end camera had the lines and no sensors in the bumper, so it was a cameras judgment instead of a sound wave pulse. I hate the lines to be honest. Also the whole camera sensors and cam does not pick up mail boxes on skinny poles, I tested this out one day.........well I have the cruzes VIN that had the lines, ill dig for it but don't know if it will help.

#27 ·
Guess I had my utility trailer for 42 years now, built on a tilt bed boat trailer. Made a bad mistake by using pine, around 27 years ago used pressure treated lumber, this is holding up pretty good.

Can't even recall the number of different towing vehicles I have used over the years, worse one is my 88 Supra. So low, all I can see from the rear view mirror is the front end of this trailer. Kind of embarrassing when I try to back it up. Wonder if a back up camera would help.

Saw on the news last night was university move in day, glad this is over, with the huge crowd, would have problems. But last time used my motorhome to move my stepdaughters stuff. Way to much for my trailer. Recall when I went to college, just had my slide rule and a new transistorized radio, think an extra pair of socks. For her was a half a house load.

Wife suggested I trade my Supra for an SUV, without thinking, just replied, have no urge to get rid of my Supra then I have of getting rid of you. Think she took that as a compliment, in a way. But was super easy to back up this trailer with an SUV.

#30 ·
Why Nick if you have been paying attention ,,,, EDDYonly drives to his Dealer for them to pretend to fix his Cruzen .

#32 ·
Dang EDDY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah these seats are not the Best .

#37 ·
I made two 4,000+ mile trips in my Cruze. I like the driver's seat. My wife isn't crazy about the passenger seat though. One thing I did notice the first time I drove my son's LS MT is that the manual position controlled driver's seat isn't nearly as comfortable as the power seat.

#40 ·
Of the 20+ cars I have had in my life the cruze seat is far from the worst.
Agreed - that would be a tie between a Jeep Liberty & Toyota Highlander for me. About as comfortable as a bare wooden church pew.

The Cruze's are no soft leather couch like a Volvo seat is, but definitely among the most comfortable cloth seats I've had in a car.

#43 ·
If these missing features are so important to you, post-sale is a pretty unfortunate time to realize they're not included. I bought a 2013 Civic which was everything I wanted on paper, but in practice it wasn't a good fit for me. I didn't troll the Civic forums about why the car didn't suit me. I replaced it and moved on. Sure I lost some money but at least I'm not miserable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.