Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I wouldn't make this post about ALL cruzes. Only the Gen1 series.

The verdict is still out for the Gen2.

The gen2 also runs at standard temperatures. The gen1 runs 30 degrees hotter then standard. I'm sure that has A LOT do with all the standard problems.

Is there any way to safely reduce the "operating temperature" Maybe use a lower thermostat?

Not sure how this all works, isn't the engine actually designed to operate at a very specific temp though?

Also a concern of mine now; would fitting a transmission cooler help for longterm tranny reliability, if operating temps are 30' higher is this a concern?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Is there any way to safely reduce the "operating temperature" Maybe use a lower thermostat?

Not sure how this all works, isn't the engine actually designed to operate at a very specific temp though?

Also a concern of mine now; would fitting a transmission cooler help for longterm tranny reliability, if operating temps are 30' higher is this a concern?
Engine temp is separate from transmission temp. The engine is designed to run 30° hotter than in the past. That should not have any appreciable affect on the transmission temp. With a scan tool, you should be able to monitor your transmission temp under stress (ie, highway speed, hot day, uphill, etc) and see if it's getting above designed temperature. I wouldn't add an extra cooler to it unless there is some extraordinary condition. Keep in mind, the owner's manual recommends against towing with this car, which is probably the most common source of transmission over-heating.

As for lowering the engine temp, there's a thread here about doing that. But my thinking is to make it work at the designed temp. So I'd focus on fixing leaks, replacing bad sensors, etc, rather than trying to re-engineer the operating point. YMMV.

Doug

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Engine temp is separate from transmission temp. The engine is designed to run 30° hotter than in the past. That should not have any appreciable affect on the transmission temp. With a scan tool, you should be able to monitor your transmission temp under stress (ie, highway speed, hot day, uphill, etc) and see if it's getting above designed temperature. I wouldn't add an extra cooler to it unless there is some extraordinary condition. Keep in mind, the owner's manual recommends against towing with this car, which is probably the most common source of transmission over-heating.

As for lowering the engine temp, there's a thread here about doing that. But my thinking is to make it work at the designed temp. So I'd focus on fixing leaks, replacing bad sensors, etc, rather than trying to re-engineer the operating point. YMMV.

Doug

I'm inclined to agree with you regarding not fiddling with engine temp for the same reasons you state.

However, I would like to read the link you refer to, would you please post a link to it.

Just curious, the transmission has a separate cooler, or is it integrated into (part) of the radiator?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Transmission coolers are part of the radiator.

The thread installs a 176* thermostat. When driving around. The car will run at 176ish. When parked and idle. The fan still don't come on till 230*. Nothing you can do to change that unless your good and crack the ecm to tweak the software.

So yes. Installing a lower thermostat will make the engine run cooler. And will also keep the transmission temps cooler. Since it uses the radiator for the cooler. Crawl underneath and you should see 2 transmission lines going to the radiator tank.

I"m assuming there's still lines that connect the trans to the radiator.

Even if it didn't. The fact that the engine will run cooler and is mounted to the transmission. The trans won't get AS hot.

You'll increase the life of the engine. The oil. All the parts that keep going out. The trans. Everything will last longer.

Lowering the temps will also reduce NOx. Some post said the increas is only marginal but still. Any reduction is better for the quality of life and the air we breathe.

The only drawback. Is your heater won't roast you out anymore. You'll still get heat. Just not as toasty hot.

None of us know why the reasoning to run a 30* hotter then industry norm thermostat.
It was a very dumb idea. And came with a health factor for world population.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with you regarding not fiddling with engine temp for the same reasons you state.

However, I would like to read the link you refer to, would you please post a link to it.
I think this is it: https://www.cruzetalk.com/threads/1-4-eco-thermostat-swap-221°f-to-176°f.225041/

Back in the day, I can remember my dad talking about running a cooler thermostat in his car, an Olds 88 with a 360 HP rocket 455. The motors made lots of heat and were notorious for eating water pumps and starter motors. Lowering the operating temps 10 or 15 degrees F, at first thought, seemed like a good idea. Of course, it really only made the engines run less efficiently, as if 12 MPG wasn't already bad enough :)

Anyway, I see guys on other forums going from 195 down to 180° thermostats on some of the other engines, probably for the same reason, thinking it will buy some additional margin against over-heating.

Just curious, the transmission has a separate cooler, or is it integrated into (part) of the radiator?
I just looked on my 2013 LS with 1.8 LUW and 6T30 auto trans. There are cooler lines running to the driver's end of the radiator.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I think this is it: https://www.cruzetalk.com/threads/1-4-eco-thermostat-swap-221°f-to-176°f.225041/

Back in the day, I can remember my dad talking about running a cooler thermostat in his car, an Olds 88 with a 360 HP rocket 455. The motors made lots of heat and were notorious for eating water pumps and starter motors. Lowering the operating temps 10 or 15 degrees F, at first thought, seemed like a good idea. Of course, it really only made the engines run less efficiently, as if 12 MPG wasn't already bad enough :)

Anyway, I see guys on other forums going from 195 down to 180° thermostats on some of the other engines, probably for the same reason, thinking it will buy some additional margin against over-heating.

I just looked on my 2013 LS with 1.8 LUW and 6T30 auto trans. There are cooler lines running to the driver's end of the radiator.

HTH.

Doug

Right, I hear you Doug...

Nice one, thanks

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,498 Posts
Engine temp can be adjusted via tune.

All automatic Cruzes actually have a small, separate trans cooler in front of the radiator/condenser assembly.

·
Registered
392 Posts
All automatic Cruzes actually have a small, separate trans cooler in front of the radiator/condenser assembly.
You made me look, again! On closer inspection, in addition to connecting to the radiator end pan (driver's side) I can see where the trans cooler lines also connect to the separate cooler in front of the radiator.

Chevy has it buttoned up pretty good. Getting any closer look at what's behind the grill requires some non-trivial disassembly :)

Doug

·
Registered
392 Posts

View attachment 283514
JOOC, drilling down on this some more, this thing is EXPENSIVE ! Over 350 bucks at discount online Chevy parts stores! p/n: 13311081 .

366 at gmpartsgiant.com .

And 355 at gmpartsdirect.com , who says the part does not fit my car - says it's only for the 1.4T and 2.0TD. Go figure.

Doug

61 - 69 of 69 Posts
About this Discussion
68 Replies
25 Participants
plano-doug
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing