Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Chevy Cruze 6 months old and whole front end is all chipped up from the windshield down to the bumper. I don't get close to semi trucks at all or live on a dirt road so I don't understand how the front of my car looks like someone took a sand blaster to it. It's my first brand new car I purchased and I take care of it and when I went to detail it is when I noticed all the Pitts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Can't very well call it a paint problem if even the glass is chipped.

You've been following something awfully close for that much damage to occur since you indicate it is limited to all forward facing parts.

I don't see a failure on the automobiles construction having anything to do with your observation.

Rob

·
Registered
574 Posts
this why I 3m clear bra 40% of my car & I still have a few chips around. I am pissed @ how bad this clear coat paint is. I read this same thing on the vette forum too. IMO a 60K car should have better paint protection. I also waxing every other wash spray wax & wax 3-4x a yr. my car looks real good but when I wax it I get mad of the chips on her @ almost 18K miles.

·
Registered
441 Posts
2015 Chevy Cruze 6 months old and whole front end is all chipped up from the windshield down to the bumper. I don't get close to semi trucks at all or live on a dirt road so I don't understand how the front of my car looks like someone took a sand blaster to it. It's my first brand new car I purchased and I take care of it and when I went to detail it is when I noticed all the Pitts.
I saw this a lot in the detail shop. Unfortunately, this is not just a problem limited to GM or the Cruze. Paint on newer cars is simply much thinner than it used to be. Following vehicles too closely like Robby said,especially 18 wheelers, will indeed make this problem 10x worse.

·
Registered
381 Posts
States are also using more gravel to fill pot holes quickly so you have more rocks on the road. also during the winter they love to use small pea gravel with salt because its cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
There's a reason why paint protection film is sold. Like bed liners for pickup trucks there's a market for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't very well call it a paint problem if even the glass is chipped.

You've been following something awfully close for that much damage to occur since you indicate it is limited to all forward facing parts.

I don't see a failure on the automobiles construction having anything to do with your observation.

Rob
I don't follow anything that close and to harm my car the way that it is

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
In my view cars have never been better built.

I think of the lacquer paints that were so soft you could scratch them with your fingernail.

The exhaust systems that would rust out and fall off within a year.

The engines that would need an annual tune up of new spark plugs and ignition points.

The carburetors that would flood or freeze.

The mild steel body panels that would rust through in two years.

Reactions: jmlo96 and joshuab

·
Registered
4 Posts
ouch, this shouldn't be happening, but I guess that's why people buy protection for this kind of thing. Have you tried any protection film or similar?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shouldn't have happened 6 months in of owning the car and can't put film on it now needs paints then I will be wrapping the whole front of the car with clear wrap

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
In my view cars have never been better built.

I think of the lacquer paints that were so soft you could scratch them with your fingernail.

The exhaust systems that would rust out and fall off within a year.

The engines that would need an annual tune up of new spark plugs and ignition points.

The carburetors that would flood or freeze.

The mild steel body panels that would rust through in two years.
Well said! I totally agree to this.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Will never ever live on a gravel road again, can you believe a 55 mph speed limit? If even if they drove that slow, some were clocked going over a hundred. What about oncoming traffic?

Received more cracked windshields from oncoming traffic than anything else, and not a darn thing you can do about it when an uncovered dump truck flies by spraying stones all over the place.

County and state roads around here use gravel on the shoulders, And idiots can't even keep their vehicles on the paved roads, hit that and spray gravel all over the place. For better roads is where they let the weeds grow.

So why to I have this strange idea our vehicles are made for the showroom and not the kind of roads we are forced to drive on. Ha, talk to any marketing executive, do have this in my history book, if they don't sell in the showroom, they won't sell at all.

OE splash shields, use to call these mud flaps suck, got much larger aftermarket for my Cruze at about 90% cheaper than the crap they were offering. But should we really have to do this? If they can flare the fenders, should put these on at the factory.

Really carefully chose my roads with my brand new Cruze, put on splash shields the next morning, least they are on secure and straight.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
What does the underside of the car look like, rocker panels, etc? Those sometimes have even less paint on them. I have a 15 CTD with 13k miles, I need to put some wax on it, no paint protection, and it seems to be holding up well. They have ground a state highway down and it is taking forever to repave, I try and avoid the road when I can, it seems to have more loose rocks. I do have a chipped windshield already, it is very low and will just leave it for now, insurance would replace but see no need at this point.

Looks like you need a repaint on front and get it some protection which sucks.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Will never ever live on a gravel road again, can you believe a 55 mph speed limit? If even if they drove that slow, some were clocked going over a hundred. What about oncoming traffic?

Received more cracked windshields from oncoming traffic than anything else, and not a darn thing you can do about it when an uncovered dump truck flies by spraying stones all over the place.

County and state roads around here use gravel on the shoulders, And idiots can't even keep their vehicles on the paved roads, hit that and spray gravel all over the place. For better roads is where they let the weeds grow.

So why to I have this strange idea our vehicles are made for the showroom and not the kind of roads we are forced to drive on. Ha, talk to any marketing executive, do have this in my history book, if they don't sell in the showroom, they won't sell at all.

OE splash shields, use to call these mud flaps suck, got much larger aftermarket for my Cruze at about 90% cheaper than the crap they were offering. But should we really have to do this? If they can flare the fenders, should put these on at the factory.

Really carefully chose my roads with my brand new Cruze, put on splash shields the next morning, least they are on secure and straight.
Mud flaps on a truck or suv look alright when well done, mud flaps on a car if very big may be effective but looks pretty darn lame for this guy. I guess it depends upon what roads you drive on. I hate gravel roads and rarely ever drive on them.

Reactions: Tomko

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had awrsome molded ones for my Iroc Z & gta back in the day. Problem is GM don't make molded flaps 4 us. like the MJ song says they don't care about us :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts