Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5,063 miles since my last treatment of AMSOIL PI. Here's what all 4 pistons look like. Going to fill up gas and add a bottle in a minute, and will take another video after that tank runs down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj89DvYCMxg&feature=youtu.be

Car has 48,913 miles on it currently. Since July of last year, I've been working from home full time, so almost all of my trips have been hard driving, short trips, and a lot of WOT runs at high boost getting Jerry's tune dialed in.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice to see those valve clearance dents in the pistons, my guess is our 1.4s are not self destruct if the timing chain breaks, wish we could turn the cam and see the valves !

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I find my cruze is prone to carboning up if I use lower quality fuel and requires a bottle of techron or similar every 8-10K. I used BP premium 98% of the time for the last 4 months and 10K and I still have not felt that loss of power, sluggishness and surging I would normally feel without the treatment. I suspect this carbon buildup is probably due to driving at lower RPM pretty much all the time.

My lowest MPG is January and I idle the car allot(remote start). Used two bottles of techron this year during this time since I figure that would be the worst month for carbon build up.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
I was going to ask what this dents were lol.
Thanks.
Danny the man is writing about the clearances that are formed on the top of the pıston for the clearance of the valves ..
each cycle of a piston produces pressures and the valves open and close with in a tight clearance in order to not touch the piston .. I hope that this helps ..

He wants to see what the valves look like to get a better idea of the usefulness of adding the fuel additive that X sells from Amsoil .

Regards .

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,781 Posts
Danny the man is writing about the clearances that are formed on the top of the pıston for the clearance of the valves ..
each cycle of a piston produces pressures and the valves open and close with in a tight clearance in order to not touch the piston .. I hope that this helps ..

He wants to see what the valves look like to get a better idea of the usefulness of adding the fuel additive that X sells from Amsoil .

Regards .
Thank you Brian!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thank you for the video. I just ordered 2 bottles, one for my '14 cruze and one for the '99 civic. I do not put much mileage on my cars as my commute daily is 10 miles each way. I use 87 octane at present. 7000 miles so far and have owned the cruze since Feb 2014. I also drive at low RPM for better gas mileage. Should I do this twice a year due to my driving habits?

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Hifi seek and ye shall find !

·
Registered
271 Posts

Brian has this right and to further explain-some engines I've torn down have a design problem in-that if the timing belt or chain breaks with the engine running the cam quits moving and the valves are stationary at that point in time, now the rotation of the crank continues and if they did not allow for a open valve with the piston all the way up the piston hits the valve head, pretty much destroys engine-valve bends-piston takes a hit and rod bearing can possibly be damaged, see this before on a Nissan truck I had, the clearance dents eliminate this possibility

Disassembling a few engines a person discovers most problems with the valves start with the deposits, seen on the top of the pistons in the videos, collect on the valve lip sealing surface and valve seat, this causes the valve to not seal completely which leads to compression leakage and poor engine efficiency with resulting loss of mpg, the problem escalates until the hot combustion gases start eating up the valve lip and more deposits start forming holding the valve further open, and another problem happens from the deposits on top of the piston and in the combustion chamber of the head--the compression goes up, this at first seems like good-more compression-more power, but in the long run it takes its toll with added stress on the rod bearings etc. sooo these deposits are bad news and poor quality fuel probably is the biggest cause of them, the chevron fuel with the techron does have some merit or at least regular use of the additive, the engine with 300K on it don't look bad-the deposits are loose, I've seen them so cooked on it takes extensive power wire brushing to remove and often the valve lips and seats are pitted from these deposits and the valves need to be replaced and valve seats re-cut--a little care does go a long way as far as engine life goes !!

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the video. I just ordered 2 bottles, one for my '14 cruze and one for the '99 civic. I do not put much mileage on my cars as my commute daily is 10 miles each way. I use 87 octane at present. 7000 miles so far and have owned the cruze since Feb 2014. I also drive at low RPM for better gas mileage. Should I do this twice a year due to my driving habits?
Twice a year sounds like a good approach for that car. From what I have seen, I will shorten my use interval from 5k to 4k miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts