Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Cruze radio lawsuit

5K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Eddy Cruze 
#1 ·
Has anyone considered filing a class action lawsuit against GM for the horrible radio they put in the chevy cruze? I've seen posts going back to 2012 of people having the same issues over and over again. I have a 2014 and it is a piece of garbage. My local GM dealer can't find any other dealer to get one from, and with the GM strike, nothing is moving anyway! I have no radio, no back-up camera, navigation, nothing. Tried pulling radio and display fuses, left out for about 5 min, disconnected the battery, and reinstalled. Nothing!

#5 ·
Given we don't have any issues with our 2014 touchscreen, no, I'd say there is no lawsuit. I hardly see any issues with it, it almost always works as required for everyone - meaning it is not garbage.

Sure sounds like you have another issue. Do you have side detection sensors?

Reactions: Eddy Cruze
#7 ·
File a complaint with the NHTSA (www.safercar.gov). The backup camera is considered safety equipment. The real issue is when you sell millions of vehicles you'll get the occasional bad part, and unfortunately in-car electronics seem to have a high failure rate across the board (and not just GM).

#8 ·
and unfortunately in-car electronics seem to have a high failure rate across the board (and not just GM).
Especially as they get more and more complex - it's just the nature of things...especially in an application that is subjected to all sorts of extreme temperatures, and lots of vibrations.

#10 ·
My issue with the "radio" has been one thing. In 2014, the put in a Infotainment System that cannot handle .mp4 or .mov ; cannot handle large USB drives, or any type of SSD drive ; the RDS system was way out of date the day they built it (doesn't handle HD1, 2 or 3, just basic), not to mention the fact you cannot adjust the beep sensor when you try to make a hands free call (ok, you need those 8 seconds when you do it the first 5 times, but after 100, 1/2 second would do.)

The "radio" is made up of several different parts, do you think your issue is in the screen, connection , or some part of the of the infotainment systems brain or the can-bus that takes all the info and sends it to your screen?

On a side note, does anyone know if you can get an update for the factory installed infotainment system? I would very much like to have my car play mp4s over the USB rather the inferior quality mp3. I do have the kicker upgrade (which I already modified with a better sub and amp).

#17 ·
My issue with the "radio" has been one thing. In 2014, the put in a Infotainment System that cannot handle .mp4 or .mov ; cannot handle large USB drives,
Odd. My 2013 handles m4p just fine. It is picky about the drive. I've got a 32GB drive in mine - a SanDisk Cruser. That brand seems to work well. I originally used a PNY and it was quirky. I've since upgraded to the 2015 "silver box" to get moving guidelines for the backup camera.

#11 ·
#14 ·
Misconception! You had nothing to say about my z. Do you honestly think that in war zones they drain, lube and tune every 3k.... Personal knowledge. They fixed what got shot. Airframe different story. But not much better. 1940 duce and a half not electronic but still running. Clearly GM has a serious problem. You cant tell me corrosion on my #4 has anything to do with the coil pack! But water lines with coolant problems running in that area does. Just need to prove it!

#16 ·
Why no! That is not what I said! A significant amount of products are junk! Point being when military vehicles can survive the harsh deserts. But my cheap Cruze cant make it to 75k without dying, I wont even get started on my Tahoe(s), my HD2500, My redline Sky, as their is another forum for that. Maybe you have the one in a million that is special! And just worried about the radio.

#18 ·
Funny story (sort of):

I have a 2011 Cruze-Eco-turbo, currently with over 212,000 miles on it.

At around 80,000 miles, the aux jack died. My dealer tried to repair it by replacing the jack (for $80) but it didn't work. Then they told me they would attempt a software update for it, and charged me $100 for it.

None of this worked, but they would not issue me a refund, saying that they've already replaced the parts and did the labor.

I contested the charge on my credit card and won the refund.

Since then I've been using a bluetooth-to-FM transmitter.

No problem.

#22 ·
One would have to check local laws. The idea that you can take a car in, the repair shop gives an estimate, the repair is done but fails to fix the problem seems like a situation that would be ripe for major abuse. I have to believe there's no protections at all there somewhere. Sure, the repair shop will deny all they can't, but there's probability some rights and warranties that can't be signed away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.