Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's make a list of specific tools needed to work on the Cruze:

Engine/transmission bolts: External Torx socket set

Battery terminal bolts: 10mm socket. Remove the negative first! The positive terminal CAN ground out to the body with a regular wrench!

Body clips: A body panel removal set like the 5-piece Harbor Freight set comes in really handy removing those body panel clips. I like the tool that's 2nd from the left the best for removing those clips. 5 Piece Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set

Random bolts: A hex bit set and security Torx set will come in handy.

Air filter housing (stock): a #2 Philips screwdriver

Oil filter housing cartridge top: 24mm socket and 3" extension. Generally a 1/2" ratchet will be needed for this. Hand-tighten, then snug up until just barely tight with the wrench.

Oil drain bolt: 10mm socket. Careful not to over-tighten. One does not need gorilla strength to tighten this one!

Interior bolts/screws: 8mm socket.

That's all I've got off the top of my head.

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts

Engine/transmission bolts: External Torx socket set

Battery terminal bolts: 10mm socket. Remove the negative first! The positive terminal CAN ground out to the body with a regular wrench!

Body clips: A body panel removal set like the 5-piece Harbor Freight set comes in really handy removing those body panel clips. I like the tool that's 2nd from the left the best for removing those clips. 5 Piece Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set

Random bolts: A hex bit set and security Torx set will come in handy.

Air filter housing (stock): a #2 Philips screwdriver

Oil filter housing cartridge top: 24mm socket and 3" extension. Generally a 1/2" ratchet will be needed for this. Hand-tighten, then snug up until just barely tight with the wrench.

Oil drain bolt: 10mm socket(1.4 L engine 1.8 L engine T45 Torx). Careful not to over-tighten. One does not need gorilla strength to tighten this one!

Interior bolts/screws: 8mm socket.

That's all I've got off the top of my head.
Adjusting headlights : Phillips screwdriver
T45 for 1.8 Oil Pan Bolt

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
We need a cheap workaround for the TPMS re-learn tool job.

·
Registered
343 Posts

I bought this set at Harbor Freight (HF beats any onlineprice on these) & I f'ing love them... man these are a truly essential tools for any vehicle really, but I'm happy my Cruze has not a scratch from using them. I've used them for removing the taillights, side markers, interiorlights, engine clips, bumper clips, etc.
:sigh:

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...this posting needs to be re-named to: The Cruze Toolbox
I'm fine with that. Suggest it to a mod, I can't edit my original post.

Under-body panel screws: 10mm socket.

Spark plug adjustment: feeler gauge and old-school spark plug tool (not a coin gapper!)

Coil pack bolts: T27 or T40 socket.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Updating this:

Brake caliper: 10mm socket (go easy, these like to strip)
Brake caliper bracket: 18mm socket
Brake rotor retaining screw: T30 Torx bit
Wheel bearing bolt (front): 18mm socket (3 bolts)
Axle nut: 32mm socket
Front ABS sensor bolt: T30 Torx bit

For the 18mm bolts, get ready with many and varied extensions, ratchets, and combinations of deep and shallow sockets in 1/2" and 3/8". Some are easily accessible, while others need a 4" or 6" extension on either a shallow or deep socket. It's always changing. All of those 18mm bolts need a lot of muscle, or a cheater pipe of some sort. Standing on the ratchet worked in lieu of a cheater pipe. Make sure your ratchet won't reverse under your feet.

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
How about free, all you need to do is let air out of the tires until you here the beep. You don't need the relearn tool like the manual recommends.
Do a search on you tube for tpms reset chevy. Someone on there has a detailed video about how to do the let the air out process for TPMS relearn even using a Cruze
2011 Chevy Cruze TPMS reset without service tool after tire rotation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqzj_UKmaWI

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts

·
Administrator
25,208 Posts
Do a search on you tube for tpms reset chevy. Someone on there has a detailed video about how to do the let the air out process for TPMS relearn even using a Cruze
2011 Chevy Cruze TPMS reset without service tool after tire rotation
2011 Chevy Cruze TPMS reset without service tool after tire rotation - YouTube
At some point during the 2012 production run GM removed this feature. Apparently they were having problems when multiple TPMS cars are sitting near each other.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
At some point during the 2012 production run GM removed this feature. Apparently they were having problems when multiple TPMS cars are sitting near each other.
That's kind of comical. Imagine doing that in a mall parking lot(not that anyone does), let the air out of one tire and 4 different horns go off. :huh:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I know the engine bay appears to have a lot of E-Torx, and early post mentions security-Torx. Looking to get a set of E-Torx, and I see some on Amazon packaged with security-Torx for even more money..

Has anyone encountered security-Torx? If so where?

Looking at simple projects like the serpentine belt, it looks like the tensioner is E-Torx, as well as the motor mount that must be loosened to remove replace belt.

Hopefully this belt lasts 100,000 miles like the last GM car, but the backside of the belt looks like a fair amount of tensioner wear from only 20,000 miles.

I have a few security-torx nut driver bits, but not sockets designed for reasonable torque.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Some are 8mm, others are indeed 10mm. Either way, a nut driver works better than a regular ratchet.
2013 ECO under body panels were all 10mm on my car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go to harbor freight and get the 100 piece security set it's 10 bucks it has all the torx and everything else you will ever need or use. They also have the bigger torx bits and is a awesome store and if you have a coupons free stuff to. Jack

1 - 20 of 25 Posts