Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Banned
9,198 Posts
None of these tools are Cruze specific, dey all are doing dis now. Torx both bits and sockets have been around for over 25 years now, lugs nuts are standard 3/4", 15/16" hex socket works just fine on that filter cap, and a special 5/8" spark plug socket is required with a foam rubber insert.

Even my 04 was using 9/32" interior screws, when the auto industry switched from English to Metric under stupid congressional law, Japanese wanted our cars with right hand side steering wheels, didn't give a dam about metric. This was on done overnight, took them years to finally make the switch, so needed both English and Metric, and if you weren't careful, would round the head off a bolt. Cruze finally became all metric, but the crazy SAE calls English SAE now, they didn't have a darn thing to do with the fasteners.

Talking about special purpose tools, what about a spring spreader, try a TH-400 AT, but with 95% of the tools they require can find means to work around them. Honda uses a special bit for their head bolts wasn't a torx, that and many others required really special tools.

Tamper proof is because they don't want you to see the cheap crap inside they are charging you over a thousand bucks for, never counted my tamper proof bits, but has to be close to 200 different types.

Harbor Freight plastic pry bars suck, break too easy, got a set of Mactools, even ground those to a sharp point so I can start them, if it breaks, grind the again, to you have a grinder? If I didn't have a complete set of Made in the USA drills, fractional,numbered, lettered, couldn't even drill a hole with this Chinese crap, end of these bits turn red hot and melt. Also a complete set of metric and English taps and dies, the crap they are using today, the heads break off.

Far better using an adjustable impact wrench with Torx, with a hand wrench, can't put the axially force on them and even at a slight angle will round off the insides, dam things are tapered. Smallest puller will remove the dial off a speedometer, largest, a huge brake drum off a P-30, the list goes on and on.

Ha, been buying tools since I was ten years old, 77 now and still buying tools.

· Registered
17 Posts
checked on that 100 piece set, 9.99 and I have a 5.00 off coupon, gotta get this, thanks for the heads up

· Registered
2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel “49000 miles”
55 Posts
Let's make a list of specific tools needed to work on the Cruze:

Engine/transmission bolts: External Torx socket set

Battery terminal bolts: 10mm socket. Remove the negative first! The positive terminal CAN ground out to the body with a regular wrench!

Body clips: A body panel removal set like the 5-piece Harbor Freight set comes in really handy removing those body panel clips. I like the tool that's 2nd from the left the best for removing those clips. 5 Piece Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set

Random bolts: A hex bit set and security Torx set will come in handy.

Air filter housing (stock): a #2 Philips screwdriver

Oil filter housing cartridge top: 24mm socket and 3" extension. Generally a 1/2" ratchet will be needed for this. Hand-tighten, then snug up until just barely tight with the wrench.

Oil drain bolt: 10mm socket. Careful not to over-tighten. One does not need gorilla strength to tighten this one!

Interior bolts/screws: 8mm socket.

That's all I've got off the top of my head.
Diesel mode is completely different.

Oil drain plug: 13mm
Oil filter: 32mm
Fuel filter: 36mm
Air filter: Phillips #2
Trans 2piece plug: 12mm hex and T40 or T50.

trim removal set would be helpful

I have the torque specs but I think I’ve gotten my point across.

· Registered
1 Posts
Let's make a list of specific tools needed to work on the Cruze:

Engine/transmission bolts: External Torx socket set

Battery terminal bolts: 10mm socket. Remove the negative first! The positive terminal CAN ground out to the body with a regular wrench!

Body clips: A body panel removal set like the 5-piece Harbor Freight set comes in really handy removing those body panel clips. I like the tool that's 2nd from the left the best for removing those clips. 5 Piece Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set

Random bolts: A hex bit set and security Torx set will come in handy.

Air filter housing (stock): a #2 Philips screwdriver

Oil filter housing cartridge top: 24mm socket and 3" extension. Generally a 1/2" ratchet will be needed for this. Hand-tighten, then snug up until just barely tight with the wrench.

Oil drain bolt: 10mm socket. Careful not to over-tighten. One does not need gorilla strength to tighten this one!

Interior bolts/screws: 8mm socket.

That's all I've got off the top of my head.
What do I need to get the cover off to get to the spark plugs in a 2017?

· Registered
32 Posts
Only mentioning it because I didn't see it above, my 2011 eco has E10 all over the place. I haven't run into any other sizes. Sure you can take them off with a 6-point socket, but with the E10 bit there is zero chance jof rounding anything off.

The other thing that applies to working on any vehicle is a good set of Torque wrenches. I haven't run across anything torqued to less than 71 in/lbs which is good because my smallest TQ wrench is 70-250 in/lbs.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts