Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the micro-usb port on the stereo for? Like what does the existing plug going into that port run from. I'm trying to install a backup camera and looking for video input solution. Thanks!

·
Administrator
25,602 Posts
Left to right in your picture:

Antenna/Onstar
Antenna/Onstar - One of the two coax connectors goes to the Antenna. The other one to the OnStar module
Mini-display out for the MyLink display
PDIM interface (USB/3.5mm jack) module
Blue is unknown to me; possibly MyLink touch screen input
CANBUS interface. The radio handles a lot of the Cruze's customizations

·
Administrator
25,602 Posts
Unknown. Also, I'm taking an educated guess to each port's function based on what I know the radio does in the car. It would be nice to know how the Cruze with the backup cameras are configured. This might provide a clue to what you need to do.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
It uses connector X2, the black one in the middle. Video signal is on pin 5 (GY/WE), power for the camera is on pin 15 (WH/BU). The ground seems to be done near the connector between the body harness and the instrument panel. (Not in the radio.)

If you're lucky, the wiring goes all the way back to to the X900 connector "Rear compartment lid harness to body harness" located in the trunk behind a trim panel on pin 17 and 16 (same color wires). However, the bad news is it looks like the harness for the trunk is different. In cars without the backup camera, the "license harness to rear compartment lid harness" is only 4 pin. With backup camera, it's 10 pin.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
However, the bad news is it looks like the harness for the trunk is different. In cars without the backup camera, the "license harness to rear compartment lid harness" is only 4 pin. With backup camera, it's 10 pin.
I should add, this mention in the manual makes it less likely that a factory camera can be added to a car that came without it. Because now you're replacing the harness for the trunk lid. But if the wires are there all the way to the trunk, it still should make it easier to add a camera then trying to run the wire all the way to the head unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already have wiring all the way up to my dash with an AV video make end all the way in front but had no means of connecting it. So do you know of a way that I can get that video input to the mentioned pins? Like in terms of wiring what do I need to do? Cause my car doesn't have the harness in the trunk lid like you mentioned

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I already have wiring all the way up to my dash with an AV video make end all the way in front but had no means of connecting it.
Does it have the wires in the connector at the radio end? You could try splicing it. But it's probably coax, which wouldn't be easy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it's just your typical yellow video in male AV connector if that's what you meant. If I was to cut that connector off and just feed the wires into the mentioned pins, any idea how I should do that best?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If I was to cut that connector off and just feed the wires into the mentioned pins, any idea how I should do that best?
I don't know. I'm not sure how far you can push things without visible problems.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If I'm reading it right, it looks like a replacement harness for the trunk is $50 or so. P/N 95166042. The camera is about $105. P/N 95407397. (Both part numbers are for a 2013.) The real question is if the wires are there between the trunk and the head unit, and what kind of programming might be needed for the head unit.

Edit: Crud, you'd need a license plate wiring harness. Another $60 or so.

·
10,712 Posts
If I'm reading it right, it looks like a replacement harness for the trunk is $50 or so. P/N 95166042. The camera is about $105. P/N 95407397. (Both part numbers are for a 2013.) The real question is if the wires are there between the trunk and the head unit, and what kind of programming might be needed for the head unit.

Edit: Crud, you'd need a license plate wiring harness. Another $60 or so.
last issue to address, one guy posted he got it to work then no more posts from him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The harnesses you mentioned seem to be discontinued. They're unavailable on every single OEM parts store I've checked online.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts