Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 Cruze quit taking gas in AZ on my trip. I took it to the Chevy dealership in Tucson AZ Friday night after calling them at letting them know I would be and what the problem was. They said they would get it in right away in the morning since I am 1200 miles from home. Well they didn't and when I went into check that morning. They told me they were working on it. Funny I could see it still sitting in the parking lot about a 100 feet from me. Then I was told the hose wasn't twisted about 3 hours later. That was $90 and it would be another $184 to drop the tank and figure out what was wrong on Monday morning. Problem was there was no hotel rooms in the area since all the events going on in Tucson. Had to get a rental and head to Cali to stay with friends. I asked the service advisor if they had the parts to fix it since they thought it was a check valve. He said he didn't know. I asked if it would get done on Monday or Tuesday since I have a 7 hour drive back to Tucson he said he couldn't answer that. I asked if they had any loaner cars or rentals and they said no since I was going out of state. Read some reviews on this place and it was scary about them gouging out of state people that are stranded. Then taking a week or more to get their cars back for simple repairs.
Has anybody else had problems with not being able to put gas in their car? I might have enough gas to make it to Phoenix maybe. How is the dealership their?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Contact our Chevy Customer Care account and get them involved. That service manager doesn't care since he'll never see you again once the car is fixed, but he will care when GM contacts him.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
You are assuming quite a bit, a week or more for a "simple" repair when we don't even know what's wrong? Most Dealerships open on Saturday just work for a half a day and do only basic stuff like Oil changes. Expecting the dealer to have the part(s) you need in stock is unreasonable. Yes some rental cars and most Loaner cars can't leave the State, Enterprise was a real stickler on that. The money you paid for the diagnostic charge is normal in the industry. Even if you have a Warranty or Service Contract or pay cash, dealers usually expect payment which is applied to the repair(s). There are/were 4 Tucson area Chevy dealers although they all wouldn't be very helpful on a Friday night. They are not taking advantage of you because you are from 1200 miles away, ever try to walk into your Doctors office without an appointment, I can't, they tell you to call 911. Las Vegas has 24 hour Chevy Dealers & 24 hour service at select locations. Tucson is a giant town, I'm sure there was a Motel room to be found. Enterprise offers their weekend special in big cities like Tucson, the entire weekend rental runs about $39 at participating non Airport locations. If you have Trip Interruption coverage from your Towing club, Warranty (if applicable) or your Insurance company most of your costs can be reimbursed, save your receipts.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
What do you mean quit taking gas. Does gas come back out when you try to fill it up or you can't stick the pump in the tank opening. I never had the problem but would be curious with a better description and fix when the dealer gets it fixed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you try and put gas in the car. It will not go into the tank just pool in the hose and dump back out.
I didn't get the car there until after the service department closed. I called them before they closed and they set it up so they got it in right away in the morning. The people the next morning didn't get it in or were planning on getting it in until Monday. We called around 20 hotels and they were all filled up. I just asked if they had the parts to see if they had them. Just a little bothersome to hear the service manager complain about to some people why they didn't get my car in like they were supposed to on Saturday so it was done. That was a little discouraging hearing that. Really I think if I could get a straight answer on what was going it might of helped some. So I could plan on what to do to get my daughter back home for her school stuff next weekend.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Is there even a problem with your Cruze? Have two independent of fuel used, fuel used, and the gauge. I know they are independent, wife filled the tank once, and didn't know how to reset the fuel used on the DIC. When I went to fill it, said 22 gallons used, that is not even possible with a 15 gallon tank.

About the same thing happened to me about a month ago, put my CC card in the pump, squeezed the handle, pump nozzle kind of jumped, nothing came out of it. Made sure my CC card showed the correct amount, near zero and drove to the next pump, that was okay.

Told the girl inside of the station, pump number so and so wasn't working, said thank you, would put a sign on it.

92 DeVille had the same system, fuel gauge was showing zero, but could get by with the fuel used, had a separate display for that. Rather than dropping that tank, found a cheap can of fuel injector cleaner, read the back of it, after several, said it removes varnish. Toss that in the tank, after driving a couple of hundred miles, fuel gauge started working again. Really didn't need it, but bugs me when things don't work.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
A twisted fuel filler tube? New one on me, now a leaky one, did run across this. Darn thing is about a mile long with the tank under the rear seat. Back in the old days, filler tube was barely six inches long, could even put a clean stick in there to see how much gas you had left.

Also easy to siphon out the gas, darn near impossible to siphon out the gas with these new cars.

And your dealer is full of crap saying he has to drop the tank to pull the filler tube, Filler tube has to be removed first before dropping the tank, if you don't, will break it.

For all you know if your pump was good, maybe somebody shoved a rag in your filler. That section can be removed without dropping the tank.

#7 is a short section of a rubber hose feeding the tank, has a clamp on it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, back in my military days, use to have BS sessions, all in fun to see if who could out BS the other, was also good for relieving tension.

But sure not fun when getting BS from your friendly Chevy dealer, in particular when his goal is to clean out your pocket book.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The filler hose swelled shut is what they told me today. Should be fixed tomorrow night if the part showed up. Now to figure out if I should head back there tomorrow since it is a 6 to 7 hour drive one way. If the part doesn't show up I wouldn't know until I was there. Rental is already over $300 at this point.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
The filler hose swelled shut is what they told me today. Should be fixed tomorrow night if the part showed up. Now to figure out if I should head back there tomorrow since it is a 6 to 7 hour drive one way. If the part doesn't show up I wouldn't know until I was there. Rental is already over $300 at this point.
Almost 99% sure I have a Cruze, says Cruze on the back of it, all the literature and parts lists I have says Cruze.

My filler tube is made out of steel and has a nice back coating on it, separate air release tube along side of it. Just that short piece of neoprene tubing about six inches long that connects the filler to the tank.

How in the world could that swell shut?

Is yours plastic? And did you put E85 in it?

Certainly turning out to be a mystery. Are you still under the B to B warranty?

That parts drawing I posted is not exactly correct, filler tube drops way down, but goes a couple of feet forward to the rear right side of the fuel tank. And you sure don't have to drop the tank to replace it.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Isn't there an anti-syphon check valve in there too that could cause problems that keeps people from syphoning your gas?

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Is it a Cruze Eco? Because they have a different fuel pump that only "theoretically" allows you to pump 13.3 gallons into the same 16.3 gallon fuel tank every other gas burning version of the Cruze has. I've never heard of a metal filler neck twisting or swelling from normal interaction of filling up the tank with fuel. Sounds more like the "float" on the fuel pump malfunctioned ... but I guess you gotta go with what they're filling you up with :smile:

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Mentioned, already encountered pumps that didn't work, just went to a different pump, OP never responded if he tried a different pump or even a different gas station.

Use to change the price of gas with a long stick to change the price signs, now all digital scoreboards, because it changes every two seconds. Still using .9, like a price of $4.599, but the government doesn't make that mill anymore, so can't even give us the correct change.

Was thinking about putting a digital sign on the back of my Cruze that would change the name from LT to ECO when my fuel used gauge said 3 gallons used. Wow a whole 18 pound lighter, really think somebody at Chevy was smoking crack when they came out with this. Then told me had to buy a much heavier AT if I wanted a spare tire, thought I was going nuts when I heard this. But now thinking its the other way around.

Chevy dealer in town spent a small fortune with a remodel, had a bit sign over the service door, CERTIFIED SERVICE, feel
CERTIFIED IDIOTS, would be far more appropriate.

Our pump nozzles around here have that EPA rubber gasket at the nozzle, tell you to seat that to your filler, but if you do that, the pump will kick off the instant you pull the handle. Chevy dealer is not the only one with idiots, also have these in our government.

Have my doubts if anything with the fuel pump has anything to do with filling the tank. If it does have a restriction, don't know without looking, can be discovered in two seconds, not two days.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Mentioned, already encountered pumps that didn't work, just went to a different pump, OP never responded if he tried a different pump or even a different gas station.
I've run into this as well. It's been a while though.

OP, any update?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts