Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im just wondering what is the quality of the Cruze's suspension setup and components? For folks with 60,000 + miles, is your suspension still tight? Any issues with shocks, struts, bushings, etc?
Does the Cruze alignment tend to straight true over a long term? Generally speaking, is the Cruze suspension setup known to be pretty robust,
or does it break down after 60,000 miles or so?

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Struts are usually suggested to be changed at 50,000 other than that about 100,000 depending on gow you dive and how your roads are.

Sent From An Antique
My Original Droid.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My 12 MT Eco is in the shop because it's getting hot.. They wanted to keep it so they gave me a 12 Eco Mt as a loaner. It has 5K on the clock while mine has 73K.. They ride and drive exactly the same.. Mine does have a set of the Fuelmax tires that is less than a week old, other than that mine has the original suspension and brakes.. Mine does have a little more pep I think (I have the K&N filter and the airbox mod) , but other than that they ride identically, nothing is tighter on the new car than on mine.. Come to think of it, mine may be faster due to the shifter handle...

Reactions: obermd

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The US/Canada (Lordstown assembly plant) Cruze appears to have a robust suspension. I haven't heard of any problems for the Holden Cruze in Australia. I'm not so certain this can be said of the South Korean Cruze as we had a couple of former members/Cruze owners (India and Thailand) who had problems with their suspensions, apparently from day one. GM North America tends to make a pretty solid suspension as I never replaced my shocks or struts in any of my Pontiacs.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
One of our Gearheads reported that his struts started to lose effectiveness at around 60k. More crash-throughs and more nosedive. I would honestly expect that on any car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Diddo Monroe recommends at least getting your shocks/srtuts checked and or replaced at around 50,000 miles.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. Can I be 100% certain that the 2014 Cruze I have order is being built in the Ohio plant??

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Wow. Can I be 100% certain that the 2014 Cruze I have order is being built in the Ohio plant??
Yes every Cruze bought in USA and Canada is made in the Lordstown plant in Ohio.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Im currently at 135k and the suspension is solid, turning is smooth and so is the overall ride quality. I have not experienced any changes with the way the car handles with the exception of the required breaking distance for a stop which has started to increase. Im taking the cruze in within the next month for a brake and coolant flush. I will have my pads and other suspension components inspected. My goal is to replace the brakes closer to 200k or when the wear indicator makes some noise.

One last thing to mention about the suspension as it relates to your question is at 115k both driver side tires appeared to be wearing uneven on the inside curve. They appeared to be more worn and smooth.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Im currently at 135k and the suspension is solid, turning is smooth and so is the overall ride quality. I have not experienced any changes with the way the car handles with the exception of the required breaking distance for a stop which has started to increase. Im taking the cruze in within the next month for a brake and coolant flush. I will have my pads and other suspension components inspected. My goal is to replace the brakes closer to 200k or when the wear indicator makes some noise.

One last thing to mention about the suspension as it relates to your question is at 115k both driver side tires appeared to be wearing uneven on the inside curve. They appeared to be more worn and smooth.
Struts can also have this affect but I bet its because you need new pads up front. But have your front end looked at I doubt you will have any worn parts except for maybe needing new struts and maybe a toe adjustment.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Too few Cruze to get an accurate picture really. The only comparison, at this point, would have to be the Cobalt and I hope the Cruze fairs a lot better.

I'm seeing Cobalt's all the time with leaking struts at low mileage, 30-40k miles. A bit of seepage, according to GM, is normal. When the fluid leaks get below the coil spring seat, they recommend replacement. The Cobalt also has a major issue with rear coil springs being broken.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Struts and shocks should be changed out at 75k at the most. Even if it rides fine. Doesn't mean they aren't in need of replacement. Now CruzeEcoBlueTopaz's case is more unique because he's just cruising a lot. Obviously highway cruising is a lot kinder than city driving. Unless you live in certain parts of the US where the highways/interstates are absolutely terrible anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I'm at 23K and my suspension is noticeably looser than stock, but i certainly qualify as a severe duty user, and i'm very attentive to suspension in general so i notice things most people don't.

That said, i rarely go past 30K on a set of struts/shocks in any vehicle (including the BMWs ive owned) before i'm no longer happy with their performance.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I replaced my suspension at 63k miles since it was noticeably worse than a year ago. I am glad I did, since the car rides and handles better now. My commute also changed from frost-heaved and potholed 2 lane roads to well-maintained interstates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts