Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its me again w/ yet another issue it seems but I am not totally surprised due to the issue it had prior, first it was the broken piston rings & then heating issues which lead them to replace my Cruze w/ an brand new engine all was great, until today engine light came on & then I pushed the blue onstar button they did a check & it came back w/ a code P0420 which is emissions issue.

So I am assuming this is a catalytic converter issue due to the amounts of oil that was getting into the intake & being blown into the exhaust am I correct or am I not? Because I had read on here that someone else experienced a similar issue after a new engine replacement they ended up needing a catalytic converter.

So anyone else experience such issue w/ this code & what was the resolution?

·
Registered
533 Posts
That code usually points to clogged cats. The oil going down the exhaust definitely could cause this, as well as misfires sending unburnt fuel down the exhaust. Unfortunately I think you're going to need a new cat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Man, you just can't get a break!

A quick look suggests either cat or sensors - and given what the old engine sent down the exhaust pipe, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought new engine I would be set man! However it looks like another trip to the dealership, but you know it didn't surprise me when the engine light came on, my first thought was catalytic converter - however it could be something else. But as much oil that went through my intake it would be a shocker if its something else.

The car seems to do really fine tho, nothing really noticeable yet, however I brought it straight home & parked it & I won't drive until the day of the appointment at the dealership & I'll take it & get it fixed. Is it safe to drive to the dealership?

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
I would give the service advisor a call and highly suggest to have them tow IT .

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I will contact the dealership tomorrow to arrange appointment. So if this is the catalytic converter would this fall under the emissions warranty - I am right at 65K?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Catalytic converter is an after the fact emissions control device, been a problem ever since 1972 when it was first introduced with practically all carb vehicles. Any misfire would put raw gas into it that would start to burn it up.

This problem was even made worse with OBD I and the introduction of the O2 sensor, with just one misfire, the O2 sensor as dumb as it is, thinks all the cylinders are running lean, because it senses oxygen in the exhaust. So not only have that one cylinder misfiring, the other three in the Cruze are running super rich to exacerbate catalytic converter failure. This is how stupid vehicles are designed today.

And really not much has changed since the 1903 Buick was introduced, still burning carbon, still using spark plugs. Made even worse with the cat for the last 44 years.

Its for this reason, been cleaning my spark plugs, with the Cruze every 15K miles, a bit better than older vehicles, more like 8K miles. New at 0K, cleaned at 15K and at 30K, just hit 45K, that was enough, brand new plugs for 16 bucks. Also toss in a can of Seafoam in a full tank of gas every 5K miles. Know I must have driven at least a million miles since the 70's and never had to replace a cat. Some vehicles even had two cats.

These are the reasons why a cat fails according to the shop manual. Not new.

• An engine misfire
  • High engine oil or high coolant consumption
  • Retarded spark timing
  • A weak or poor spark
  • A lean fuel mixture
  • A rich fuel mixture
  • A damaged oxygen sensor or wiring harness

Cats are not culprits, but victims of a rich running engine. But are culprits of starting grass fires and even burning up your vehicle if overheated. When they first came out with high sulfur gas from the middle east, was trading some HC's for sulfuric acid that would burn holes in our lungs. So much for the newly formed EPA.

Is a back pressure test for cats, front O2 is removed and replaced with an adapter with a low pressure gauge, around 2 psi or less is normal, but the Cruze fails to provide this information, only ran long enough, a couple seconds to get a reading, or you will burn up your cat.

Dealer cost for the cat with pipe is around 600 bucks, does have a TSB, but just tells you to replace it with a new one, nothing about who pays for it, in particular with any kind of engine problem. Does say to check those things listed above, rich running engine, if you don't, the new one will also burn up.

Ironically, it is legal to advertise and sell cat bypass kits, but if you are caught installing one, can be in for a $40K fine, cats are the law of the land. Too bad they don't make them good enough to take a little bit of heat. But that is our problem, not theirs.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're check engine light is on "steady", and not blinking, it is safe to drive to the dealership.

If you have only 65k on your Cruze, and it is less than 5 years old, the cat is covered under warranty.
My Cruze has 65K however its just a little over 5yrs old, & no the engine light is not blinking just lit up. So hopefully the emissions warranty will cover such part, however again as mentioned its nothing to surprising that the cat is messed up due to all the oil that went through through the intake.

So arranging time to take my car to the dealership & get this resolved hopefully.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Because I had read on here that someone else experienced a similar issue after a new engine replacement they ended up needing a catalytic converter.

So anyone else experience such issue w/ this code & what was the resolution?
That was me. They replaced both catalytic converters after a cracked piston, 2nd cracked piston several thousand miles later and finally full engine replacement. Your car endured far more oil burning than mine, so this is no surprise you need a new cat. I was surprised they replaced both, but so far, so good.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Reread your post, should have replaced your cat the same time as your engine.

According to TSB:

# 06-06-01-010B: Information on Close-Coupled Converter and Engine Replacement - (Aug 19, 2013)

This may give you some ammunition.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was me. They replaced both catalytic converters after a cracked piston, 2nd cracked piston several thousand miles later and finally full engine replacement. Your car endured far more oil burning than mine, so this is no surprise you need a new cat. I was surprised they replaced both, but so far, so good.
You was the one I thought of when this occurred actually, because I remember you mentioned you had to have one replaced after a engine replacement. So yeah they replaced my engine w/ a brand new one & now I got this P0420. Did you receive the same engine code?

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reread your post, should have replaced your cat the same time as your engine.

According to TSB:

# 06-06-01-010B: Information on Close-Coupled Converter and Engine Replacement - (Aug 19, 2013)

This may give you some ammunition.
You would think they would have followed this method of change then right?, However maybe they thought it was still good, or simply using the rules if its not giving a code don't fix it type method I suppose.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update : I call dealership this morning they request I bring it straight in & have it checked. So I took it in & checked in & after awhile sitting there, lady came in & told me it was the catalytic converter & they have it on order & put me in a rental & off I go. So Cruzen Vegas looks like the count down continues huh? lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
You was the one I thought of when this occurred actually, because I remember you mentioned you had to have one replaced after a engine replacement. So yeah they replaced my engine w/ a brand new one & now I got this P0420. Did you receive the same engine code?
Yep, P0420. They had to order mine as well. They replaced both cats for me.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update : I got my car back today, they changed the catalytic converter, & engine light gone back off. So lets try this again, & see if all works well. Cruzen Vegas you may lose this one after all, but I better watch & not speak to soon. Lol

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update : After picking my car up yesterday after replacing the catalytic converter it seems I have a oil leak again ( Yep you read that correctly ); I was trying to pin point the location of the oil leak, down on the passenger side I look down through there where the drive assembly belt is located & I can see oil down there on the frame of the car & all over the splash guard. So I get under the car & the oil pan is wet w/ oil, I am not sure if its the oil pan gasket or if its leaking from another location I don't see one tho, but can the oil pan gasket be bad & have oil go up on the splash guard & the frame in that area?

This is me right now -> :$#angry: :cussing: & I don't cuss, this is enough to make anyone cuss. Lol Soo I called the dealership they want me there in the morning, the car isn't losing much oil tho it seems the dipstick is pretty well still full.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.