Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Cruze + Trailer = Camping

9K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  NHIA 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is my beast ready for a 9 day multi state camping trip. Thanks to KENSTV123 for hooking me up with an awesome deal on a hitch.

Curt hitch with Curt Euro mount at 11 1/4". Curt trailer wiring harness. Ironton 40"X48" trailer rated at a little over 1000lbs with 12" wheels. And a trailer build similar to Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - JeepForum.com

Pictures can be right clicked and viewed larger

See less See more
#3 ·
Is that a pop up ?

#7 ·
We have a 4 year old that takes up the back seat with her car seat. Did a camping trip, just my wife and I, all over Oregon with a 93 T-Bird that had a larger trunk and back seat completely filled. So when the request was made to do another long trip. I knew I needed either a roof basket or trailer since space is limited with 3 of us.

#9 ·
Picked this thing up for 3,900 bucks with six brand new tires and three brand new batteries during the crunch. with 41 K miles on the clock.

View attachment 148122

Yeah, it need some work, so added another 1,000 bucks worth of parts in it to make it reliable. Sleeps six, generator, roof and cabin air, full size refrigerator, micro, cruise control, full bath, hot water, furnace, range, TV antenna.

Cruze? Just for going to work and shopping.

#11 ·
A boxed in trailer with a tarp on it will keep your camping equipment dry. Don't you know it always rains when you go camping! Got our boat all set and we were free yesterday for boating, but it rained all day, still raining this morning.

Made my own trailer on a 4,000 pound capacity old boat trailer and got the weird idea of using pressure treated wood. Did this around 35 years ago, still good. Has tilt bed on it, so can drive up a snowmobile or a riding lawn mower. They don't make tilt bed trailers anymore, with a boat, have to float them off drowning the entire trailer and a good share of your towing vehicle.

Talk about progress.

#12 ·
Ha, was telling my wife was in the high school band, on Memorial Day, had to put on a heavy wool uniform for the parade, and if we didn't show up, would funk the course and lose credits. Followed by five Memorial Day reviews in the military, wearing class A uniforms. That's nine continuous years of marching in the red hot sun, never did it rain, not even once.

But today, we are perfectly free to do what we want to, and we would love to go kayaking. But pouring down rain. Ever feel the world is against us? LOL.

#16 ·
Two minor problems learned when I brought the Cruze home, my fault for not doing all my homework.

First was how to tie down our kayak, no problem with the 04 Cavalier, had towing hooks. Heard later because some guy tried to pull his daughter out of a ditch without a flashing yellow light on his vehicle resulted in a minor accident, so all the later vehicles eliminated the towing hooks. Nothing down there to tie my straps to, except plastic.

Other one I was aware of, only good for a class I hitch, need a class II to pull my trailer. No choice but to use my Supra, so wanted a hidden hitch for it. Contacted Curt, talked to an engineer, like talking to other engineers, had no one listed for the Cruze, but emailed me a blueprint of one the thought it would work. It did, was a class II, and fit perfectly. And this car does have towing hooks, real easy to strap down the kayak.

What the Supra does have in common with the Cruze is using separate brake and directional signal lamps. One choice is to add two more tail lamps to the trailer and a fifth wire. Other was to purchase an adapter, found one at Fleet Farm for around ten bucks so I could use a standard four pin connector.

Other crazy solutions was to use our motorhome, already has a class 3 hitch on it, ha you expect me to back up a trailer when I can't even see it? Then you would have to climb a ten foot ladder to try to mount our kayak on it.

Then we got a brochure from GM with $10,000 of a GM pickup, she wanted a four door, I wanted the extended bed. But still can't carry a 4 by 8 foot piece of plywood in these things, and sure don't want to put our dirty leaves in it to haul it to the dump. But tried anyway, would only give me $3,000.00 on my like new Supra with only 50K miles on it, and to get that $10,000 discount, needed something like a 1928 Reo to trade in. Like it was, would only get $1,500.00 off.

So doing just fine with what we got.

Still trying to find towing hooks for the Cruze, not sure if I want to chop holes in the bumpers and if I did mount a hitch, would trying to pull this thing out of the ditch, rip it off?

#21 ·
Our trip is done and was awesome. Trailer held up even in some Montana back country roads, even the Cruze, though most would cringe at the thought of a Cruze traveling those paths that barely classify as a dirt road. Cruze overall, as most expect, was fine. I busted my front driver side Chinese splash guard.....good excuse for oem ones now.

I think I have some more pics. But here is one for now.

Some Wyoming action in Yellowstone. (can right click to view larger)

#22 ·
How do you attach a thin piece of plastic to another thin piece of plastic? Certainly not with an included sheet metal screw. I use Dorman push pin rivets, lasts for years.

OE splash shields? Sure sound better than mud flaps, look cool, but don't offer protection. Should call them stone guards.

Did you read where stone chips are not covered under warranty?

And you really can't call the designers of these cars stupid for designing cars where the tires stick way out the side. If anyone is stupid, it is us, for buying them. Its our problem, not theirs.

#23 ·
It is a pop up with a real cute smurfette showing off for the camera .............COOL Pic .. and Mountains to boot . Glad that every thing went well for you and your family !

The rails pop up and your Daughter looks gratefull ..

#24 ·
NickD, the rear splash flaps/guards/whatever utilize one of the oem screws, for the wheel well, and hold tight but it requires two holes so I made a new one and I just used the screws provided. For the fronts I used some push rivets and one screw. The one that busted was the actual flap along a bend.

Thanks Brian, our daughter enjoyed every second of the camping part

#25 ·
I use hood loops similar to thesethese. Remove one of the fender bolts under the hood and fasten it through the metal grommet on the strap. Simply flip out to use, flip under hood when not in use.
I have an 18 hatchback LT. For back tiedowns I made my own straps and bolted them to framing member inside each of the back interior side panels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.