Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I came across this forum because of a fault with my Chevrolet Cruze, 2011, 1.8 Automatic LHD.

Its done 183,000km and was serviced religiously from 0 to 160,000km. I missed the 170k km service thinking I'd done it and the 180k km service is a little late.

The problem is that the car does not change through its gears. When the car is in drive, the car pulls away and when the gears would normally change up, the car brakes (engine braking) in fits and starts. When the car is in Manual (triptonic gearbox), first gear works as normal but when I shift up to 2nd, it does the same as when in drive. I can also not feel the gear change. The car when in neutral will not rev over 3000RPM (limp home mode?).

The strange thing is there are no DTC codes (read by a friends cheap scan tool and by the dealer types). There are no failure lights on the dash either.
The dealer type guys (Bin Hamoodah, Abu Dhabi - The closest thing to a chevy/GMC dealer in the UAE) say they have checked the fluid level and that's ok. they say maybe the transmission computer module needs replacing possibly, or strip the tranny down totally to see what is wrong.

Any ideas before I spend any more cash?

Thank you in advance.

Lee

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I believe the maximum 3000 rpm in nuetral business is normal operation....GM has used a restricted, no load RPM limiter on automatics for years.

I would be inclined to go with the trans control module as a first step....for whatever reason a failed module rarely sets a code, and I suspect the lower, no load RPM is being applied because the ECM is not recieving 'In gear' information.

Best WAG I can offer from the other side of the world.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robby, Thank you for replying so quick. I've never rev'd the engine in neutral (or Park) before so I'm sure your probably on the mark with the restricted rpm in automatics. As for the TCM, are they costly? I only ask because if they are like $100 in the US, and they quote me 10 times that here in he UAE, Ill get one shipped over.

Does anyone know the part number of the TMC?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I have no pricing operation....others do, but we don't know if your TCM is the same as ours.

Can you provide a part# ?

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately not, the car is at the garage which is closed at the moment. I guess Ill find out in the morning. I was only after a rough cost anyway so that I can see if I should drown my sorrows in a glass of whisky or just take the bottle.

Good news, hire car is a cruze too. Coincidence.... maybe I can use it as spares (joke)

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Unfortunately not, the car is at the garage which is closed at the moment. I guess Ill find out in the morning. I was only after a rough cost anyway so that I can see if I should drown my sorrows in a glass of whisky or just take the bottle.

Good news, hire car is a cruze too. Coincidence.... maybe I can use it as spares (joke)

Thanks again
If I may add one other suggestion:

Disconnect the negative battery cable for about five minutes.....this is the automotive equivelant of a 'reboot'.

Reconnect and see how it behaves.......although I haven't seen this type problem on the Cruze I have seen it many many times on other brands.....most commonly Chrysler products......a dis-connect, wait, reconnect often resolves the problem, never to recur.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
One other thought. Has the Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) been changed? If so, when and was it a drain and refill or complete flush. Is it even full? I don't know what the service requirements are for UAE Cruzen, but even a "fill for life" transmission ought to have been changed by 180,000 Kms. I wasn't able to find a TCM listed for a 2011 Cruze on GMParts site, so I'm not sure what a price would be. Also, the TCM is internally mounted inside the transmission case, so replacement requires considerable labor and the new TCM will have to be programmed to work with the existing ECM. In the US, this is nearly always a dealer function.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Robby, I did disconnect the battery and waited several minutes, along with turning the key so as to remove the residual power. This didn't solve the issue.
Jim, I am told by the technicians that the level it's fine and it should have been flushed on the major service which was recently done. I drive a lot of miles (bought the car little over a year ago with 45k km on it). All motorway driving.

I'm not glad to hear that the tcm is in the transmission case. I was hoping for a quick replacement.

Thank you for the suggestions.i guess I'll have to wait for the techs to figure out out which is annoying as I'm an aircraft tech and want to go there and help. I only wish my servings were up to date as I have extended warranty which is invalid as I missed the last servicing.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I'm not glad to hear that the tcm is in the transmission case. I was hoping for a quick replacement.
I've often wondered why they put the TCM inside the transaxle. The TCM in my old '92 Saturn SC was mounted under the console right behind the shifter. Maybe it's cheaper to put it inside nearer to all of its connections.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Robby, I did disconnect the battery and waited several minutes, along with turning the key so as to remove the residual power. This didn't solve the issue.
Jim, I am told by the technicians that the level it's fine and it should have been flushed on the major service which was recently done. I drive a lot of miles (bought the car little over a year ago with 45k km on it). All motorway driving.

Thank you for the suggestions.i guess I'll have to wait for the techs to figure out out which is annoying as I'm an aircraft tech and want to go there and help. I only wish my servings were up to date as I have extended warranty which is invalid as I missed the last servicing.
Unless the last servicing had anything to do with the transmission this should not impact the warranty. I don't know the laws in the UAE but a missed oil change shouldn't cause the transmission to fail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts