Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Cruze ECO 6MT on a 4 day trip up to New Hampshire and Vermont, for my 13 year old's Lacrosse Tournament. Here's a summary with all the details:
  • 5 people in the car (myself, two 20 year olds, a 13 year old, and an 11 year old)
  • A full trunk (full-size cooler, lacrosse sticks, other supplies)
  • Thule roof rack with aero blades, and a Thule Caravan Cargo Bag (filled with 3 full duffle bags)
  • Long Lacrosse stick secured to roof rack
  • 750 mile round trip from CT. up through the White Mountains in New Hampshire, over to Stowe Vermont, and back to CT.
  • Averaged 5 mpg less with the full load, and roof rack/cargo bag (31 mpg vs 36) using only 93 octane.
The Cruze held up well, and the AC was more than sufficient to keep us cool through the 90 + heat. Biggest issue was the lack of power up the mountains with such a full load. On the highway, had to downshift to 4th to make it up the long hills.

Biggest takeaway for me is the need for more power with a full load. Am definitely considering the Trifecta Tune after this trip.

Land vehicle Vehicle Chevrolet cruze Car Chevrolet
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet cruze Mid-size car

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Patman, you should be getting more than 36 MPG on the highway when not using the roof rack. Even a fully loaded Cruze ECO MT should be getting in the mid 40s on the open road.

How'd your son's team do?
I actually get well over 40 on the highway. The 36 is my overall average in mixed driving prior to the trip. This trip was about 65/35 highway to city/rural. The cargo bag really hurts mileage.

My son's team went 2-1-2 on the weekend up at Stowe. Teams from all over the country were there, so it was a successful tournament. Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what loading the top of a car does to fuel economy, which is why I asked about the unloaded numbers. I also noticed your fuelly shows 34.7, which is what triggered my question about the unloaded mpgs.
Fuelly average came down with the trip mileage. In daily driving, I average between 35 and 36, because I deal with a number of traffic lights once off the highway in my daily commute.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.