Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I have been pretty happy with my Cruze and truly enjoy driving it. But today on a 600 mile trip I had a few hiccups. I will list them in order from downright dangerous to minor annoyance.

First thing to happen was on the interstate, cruise set at 72. Going along just fine with no wind on a straight stretch of road and all of a sudden it felt like my steering forgot where I had the wheel. The car yanked me to the right, almost slamming the car next to me. Was able to correct and had no further incidents with steering and this is the only issue I have ever had with steering so not sure what was up with that.

The next thing that scared the crap out of me was at a rest stop. I had been cruising at 65-75 mph for about 250-300 miles and pulled into a rest stop. Found a spot to park and I always back in so I proceeded to reverse into the spot. As I was applying my brakes the car started surging uncontrollably and almost smacked into the car behind me. Had to mash the brake pedal to the floor to keep the car stationary. Have had this issue once before after a 50 mile trip, but no other vehicles were around to worry about hitting that time.

It almost felt like the car wanted to be hit today.

The last thing was just something I noticed that was weird. When I left for my 630 mile trip home from Virginia this morning I checked my tire pressures indicated on the DIC and noted my left rear was at 28 psi. Out of curiosity I did not air (all others at ~40 psi cold) to see if the tpms light would come on. 500 miles into the trip I got a message on the DIC informing me left rear tire was at 28 psi, please add air to tire. I was very surprised that it took 500ish miles to get a warning and tpms light. Nbd added air and we are all good on that front.

Anyone else ever had surging issues after a long trip? I know there have been issues with steering but have never heard of surging like I had, and that has happened twice.

2014 Cruze 1lt, auto trans, 1.4t, 12,300 miles

Over 4k miles in the last 10 days and these have been my only issues. Wish the seats were a little more comfy but at least I don't worry too much about falling asleep in it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts
There is an update for the steering issue and that would be all he would expect to get from an authorized dealer at this point in time .. Good Luck .

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Not sure if the steering issue also effects 2014+ models. The steering issue is a known problem that can effect some cars, this is why GM extended the warranty to 150,000 miles and 10 years on these parts. I had the same thing happen in a 4,000 miles trip when I had about 16K on my cruze, but it seemed to work itself out and has not done it since in over 50,000 more miles. If I experienced this again though I would take it in.

Never experienced any surging like you describe, was there any dash lights illuminated at the time? Almost sounds like your car has a bad ground somewhere.

As for the tire thing it may be that 27-28psi is the threshold where the TPMS sets off the low PSI warning. Since your other tires were at 40PSI, I would assume you have a leak?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was the only steering issue I had ever noticed and I pulled in pretty late. I knew about the update and planned to have it checked at the next service, as well as the negative battery terminal checked out.

I was more worried about the surging as that has happened twice but it's random. I can't recreate if I try. I did t notice what the rpms were doing as I was more focused on not hitting a parked car. Thought maybe since I was going at a decent speed for 5 hours maybe it just wanted to go lol

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it ha a very slow leak. I notice it dropping over the last couple weeks but haven't had time to check it out. Lost about 1 psi per day and over 4k+ miles.

No dash lights at the time. It wasn't a surge like it was gonna die, it was surging like i was mashing on and off the gas.

·
Administrator
25,040 Posts
Start with having the steering and negative battery cable special services completed. Since our steering is electric it is possible that your steering notched at the same time the battery cable caused a problem.

As for the tire, the reason the TPMS didn't show a low tire alert at first is it hadn't leaked out enough air yet.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,538 Posts
Steering TSB also applies to 14 models.

Your "surge" sounds kinda like the transmission clutch plate issues that were common in 13 models - basically, the car isn't fully disengaging other gears at a stop.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Your car is an LTZ with 18in wheels, they run much lower PSI than any other cruze model.
But what about the sensor? Do I have a different sensor model, is is this a case of "one size fits all" and it doesn't trigger until it's low even for a LTZ? Or is all that logic in the DIC?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
But what about the sensor? Do I have a different sensor model, is is this a case of "one size fits all" and it doesn't trigger until it's low even for a LTZ? Or is all that logic in the DIC?
That's a good question, I would assume the sensor is the same and the low tire warning PSI would be a set in the ECU, possibly the LTZ cars are set to warn at a slightly lower PSI. Believe my 1LT 16in tires have a door card PSI of 35PSI, so would only be a 5 PSI difference between models anyway.

·
Administrator
25,040 Posts
It's a one size fits all sensor. My ECO MT, with a door placard pressure of 35 PSI, won't trigger the low tire pressure warning until below 28 PSI. Huge difference between 30/32 PSI and 35 PSI when compared to 28 PSI.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Once I opened the manual, it didn't take much looking - the pressure is programmed into the BCM.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Start with having the steering and negative battery cable special services completed. Since our steering is electric it is possible that your steering notched at the same time the battery cable caused a problem.

As for the tire, the reason the TPMS didn't show a low tire alert at first is it hadn't leaked out enough air yet.
Could you elaborate on the electric steering? Never heard of such a thing unless it electric power steering? I'm about to embark on a 660 mile trip next saturday and this steering issue mdubord2014 had concernes me. FYI I have a 2013 1LT cruze.

·
Administrator
25,040 Posts
Could you elaborate on the electric steering? Never heard of such a thing unless it electric power steering? I'm about to embark on a 660 mile trip next saturday and this steering issue mdubord2014 had concernes me. FYI I have a 2013 1LT cruze.
All North American Cruze have electric power steering. There is a software update to address the steering column sensors going to sleep. The 2011-2012 model years require a new steering rack for the software update to work properly. If you haven't been having problems at this point I wouldn't worry about it. I drove my 2012 ECO MT across country twice on the original rack and software and other than an occasional annoyance it wasn't an issue. As for OP, I'm thinking he has two interacting issues - steering software going to sleep combined with a bad negative battery cable playing havoc with the power system in the entire car.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would suspect you have another issue than the notchy steering issue. I have that feel on my '13 and I can't imagine any scenario in which this would pull the car to one side or the other dramatically, as described in the OP.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
All North American Cruze have electric power steering. There is a software update to address the steering column sensors going to sleep. The 2011-2012 model years require a new steering rack for the software update to work properly. If you haven't been having problems at this point I wouldn't worry about it. I drove my 2012 ECO MT across country twice on the original rack and software and other than an occasional annoyance it wasn't an issue. As for OP, I'm thinking he has two interacting issues - steering software going to sleep combined with a bad negative battery cable playing havoc with the power system in the entire car.
OK that makes sense. I have 8500 miles on her now with two 850 mile(one way)road trips and two 660 mile(one way)trips uner the belt as far as interstate driving goes.
I still hate all this computer controlled crap on vehicles these days. Yes it's good and provides unprecedented control and performance but everything goes bad eventually and the results can be catastrophic.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I would suspect you have another issue than the notchy steering issue. I have that feel on my '13 and I can't imagine any scenario in which this would pull the car to one side or the other dramatically, as described in the OP.
Though the OP might be exaggerating a bit, when mine did this I could only think with the right driver(or wrong in this case) this could be a dangerous situation. Mine seemed to get stuck in a notch at center, and besides having to give it a bit extra tug to get past this, the power steering would twitch and pull to the right a 1/8 inch every 15-25 seconds. Passing semi trucks on the interstate at 75-80mph certainly was more dangerous when this was happening.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts