Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruze Virgin here, so please take it nice and slow, and be gentle with me. :grin:

I'm looking at purchasing a Chevy Cruze in the next few months. This will be a secondary car, and hope to turn it into a toy as well.

I'm looking at a used (something under 15,000 miles) 2014 or 2015 2LT. In doing some research, I get the feeling the car I end up purchasing will most likely have started out life as a "rental". Not something I really want, but that seams to be all I'm seeing here in the MPLS market. This leads me to a question for you folks.

Is there something I should look for as far as issues/problems?

My daughter has, since new, a 2012 cruze with an automatic, She tells me it is a good car, but seams to shift very hard. Is that common, or just her being extra sensitive to how her car drives?

Thank you for your time!

·
2,168 Posts
Cruze Virgin here, so please take it nice and slow, and be gentle with me. :grin:

I'm looking at purchasing a Chevy Cruze in the next few months. This will be a secondary car, and hope to turn it into a toy as well.

I'm looking at a used (something under 15,000 miles) 2014 or 2015 2LT. In doing some research, I get the feeling the car I end up purchasing will most likely have started out life as a "rental". Not something I really want, but that seams to be all I'm seeing here in the MPLS market. This leads me to a question for you folks.

Is there something I should look for as far as issues/problems?

My daughter has, since new, a 2012 cruze with an automatic, She tells me it is a good car, but seams to shift very hard. Is that common, or just her being extra sensitive to how her car drives?

Thank you for your time!
Hello! Welcome to Cruzetalk. This is a forum full of friendly and knowledgeable people who are very willing to help. I must say I approve of your decision to look for a Cruze. I believe it is an excellent vehicle, I bought mine 3/15/15 and am just about to reach the 20K miles mark with no issues at all I love it. I think I read a horror story on here about someone who bought a Cruze that was formerly used as a rental. I'm with you, I really wouldn't be too keen on the idea. I'm pretty sure they do not take maintenance as seriously as they should. And a rental car generally has a VERY hard life. When my car reached 15K I had already changed the oil 3 times with full synthetic, and for my particular model, I changed the stock manual transmission fluid which is known to be pretty crappy.

The 2011 and 2012 model years suffer from a few well known issues. Some are small and easy to correct, some are larger and GM covers them under an extended warranty. A lot of those issues were addressed by the time the 2014 models came out. I don't know much about the automatic transmissions, the only Cruze I drove with an automatic, was a rental and I assure you, you don't want to buy that one. My brother learned to drive manual when he bought his '11 Cruze Eco and he loves it, it has 48K miles now with no issues. And he hasn't done anything but change the oil. Personally when you're looking for a used vehicle one with a manual transmission is likely a safer bet. People who drive manuals pay attention when they are driving, they are engaged. And rental companies don't ever buy manuals so you know it didn't come from there.

I hope some of this information helps in some way, I look forward to an update from you and pictures of whatever you end up getting! Have a great day!

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
I'm not a used car kind of guy. Too many painful stories within the family of buying someone else's problem.

From my perspective a former daily rental would be at the absolute bottom of the list. Doesn't matter if it's a FIAT or a Rolls Royce for me.

We have one guy on here who bought one. He's blown his engine and is now crying in his beer.

My suggestion is to buy new. Drive the hardest bargain you can and buy the longest manufacture's warranty you can. But I have a very low risk tolerance when it comes to transportation. I can't afford to miss an appointment because the car took a crapper.

Reactions: Starks8

·
2,168 Posts
I agree ^

This is a good time to buy a 2015 model car, it's old stock and dealers was to move them. Look for a manual on a dealer lot too, not many people can drive manuals so if they have one, they probably want to get rid of it. Have the dealer search other dealers in the area too, mine was a dealer transfer. I feel like I stole my Cruze, it ended up being cheaper than the Sonic, the Fit, and the Fiesta I was looking at.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk. "Hard" shifting is a common complaint for the 2011 and in some cases the 2012s, but it is the way the transmission is designed.

·
2,254 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Mine shifts a bit hard, took some getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Welcome! You've found the right site to help pop that Cruze cherry. Lol

My 2014 shifts a little weird too. I hear a fluid change to some better fluid may help that. Getting a tune seemed to help as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Didn't read your whole post. I did see you mentioned something about rental. Avoid at all costs, getting a used car, that started its life as a rental. Just think about how people beat on a rental -I do it! Why not? It's not mine!! So....don't do that! As mentioned, go to a dealer!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes getting what I suspect would be a rental is not something I want. Being this is not going to be my main driver, I want to stick with in my 15 grand budget. Hopefully when the time comes, I can stumble on a decent used non rental for sale.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes getting what I suspect would be a rental is not something I want. Being this is not going to be my main driver, I want to stick with in my 15 grand budget. Hopefully when the time comes, I can stumble on a decent used non rental for sale.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome.
If you want a 2014 1LT with just over 10,000 miles and a GMPP Platinum Bumper to Bumper Service Contract with a ZERO $ deductible until 2021 let's talk? Many States would apply my $2000 Sales Tax to a new purchase, California does not which makes me think I'll keep my CRUZE for 7 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts