Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
10,712 Posts
looking at trading my 2011 cruze ls in and keeping an open mind. anyone ever test drive or own a new dart? a guy at work says he loves his but looking more into it
Wasn't a fan in the beginning then it grew on me. Best way is to test one out then compare. You going for the multi air rallye or the one that goes against us ECOs? I have a local car club member with one but haven't been inside it yet. I like the in dash screen and supposedly the system is 3xs user friendlier than ours and 10fold of Fords system. Also like the front passenger seat storage space. One thing I was not a fan of was the dash in any color besides black. The other colors make the inside look like a 80s POS. You spend majority of your time sitting inside a car like me that is the most important feature over the outside unless you are constantly washing and waxing it. Stock multi air exhaust note is nice and with exhaust mods it sounds better than the Cruze.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Before i bought my cruze i drove a Dart as well. I thought it was a good car; more power, more options, 'sportier' looking, good mpg, shifted well (if your getting a stick), decent trunk space.

However i thought it was very tight on the inside, both front and rear, both for leg room, headroom, and center console; very cramped. It didn't get as good as mpg as the cruze, which at the time i was looking for that. And the model i wanted was a bit more expensive (~4k more) than the Cruze. Overrall it was a good car, i was just looking for something cheaper with better mpg.

I will give it this, the stock no option version of the dart (basically the LS to the Cruze) had alot more to offer than the LS, so i went with the LT when i bought a cruze.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
looked at darts before i bought diesel

there was a breakdown of costs 1.4 vs 2.0, oil changes, purchase price, mpgs and such and the 2.0 came out ahead...but i preferred the 1.4 in the test drive

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
There are 3 times more Cruzen sold than Darts every month. Given the history of MoPar cars, I'm not surprised. Do you plan to keep the car more than a couple of years?

·
Registered
100 Posts
To be on the safe side better take the cruze, Besides Cruze is sold across the globe but Dodge dart is just popular in the U.S.
Dodge may be better performer but as some1 here said that the dodge is cramped.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Can go to http://www.dodgedartforumz.com/?gclid=CJ3RlMD_qrsCFfJxOgodeFMAZg with questions about the Dart.

Can go to http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/ about questions on the Cruze, and make up your own mind.

Or do your own homework. As an example found a clean 07 Caravan to help my kid out with his baby seat problems. Test drove nice. But after looking into it, still used a timing belt and one with the water pump buried deep inside of it. Parts were 300 bucks and shop labor 11 hours. Told my dealer no thanks, he said he could sell me a maintenance plan. That covers a routine maintenance item? He said he thinks it does, but couldn't say yes for sure. Just said, no thanks again.

Yes, there is posts here from people that had problems with their Cruze, for whatever reason, am not one of those. And this site is huge compared to the Dart forum.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
The small town I live in only has a dodge dealer so there is a disproportionate amount of their cars around here. Funny thing is every single dart I have seen on the street the owner is always checkin out my cruze.

The dart is offered with a few more larger engine options, however this means there is a huge difference in the actual MPG you will get with a dart. Looking at the combined MPG ratings it seems the 2.4L auto dart gets 6mpg less than the cruze(1.4T auto). If one opts for their 1.4L the dart is actually rated 1-2mpg higher than the cruze.

Ratings aren't everything though, real world it seems most are averaging in the 26-32mpg range with the dart.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Only if you are interested in fuel economy. Apparently you are not if looking at a Toyota Land Cruiser.

While it does have the seating capacity of 8, can get the seating capacity of 10 with two Cruzes. And at half the price of the Cruiser with even 10-14 more mile mpg total between the two Cruze's against the single Cruiser.

Ha, we did this back in the 80's buying two 84 Honda Accord's that averaged 46 mpg on the highway for $12,000 total when the family got too large. And was far more peaceful only carrying three kids each rather than six. As opposed to paying for a vehicle large enough to carry all six of them that only averaged 15 mpg.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,534 Posts
The 2.0 in the Dart would be your most reliable bet. Hyundai automatic (good transmission) and none of the MultiAir stuff that will stop working in a few years.

I did not like the Dart at all. I generally look to find something I like about most cars I drive. There are very few newer cars I've driven that I just hated, and that was one of them. It felt cheaply made, it drove cheaply (dash layout looks great, I will give it that), the power delivery of the 1.4 was terrible (loads of top end power, loads of bogging down in-town), and the MT/clutch was terrible.

·
Registered
706 Posts
here is my take on it. I am an ex 5 year Chrysler tech I have all dodge in my driveway and I am currently looking to replace my dd (250k Subaru)

I really wanted to buy the dart but had to take it out of the choices because there are tooooooo many bugs in the system trannys going in less then 10k is common (the DDC trans) a few motor problems I wanted my new DD to be dependable not siting in the shop more then I am driving.

I am down to the cuze diesel and the elentra gt

·
Registered
133 Posts
When I bought my cruze I was considering the Dart. But the Cruze won due to sales person BS at the Dodge dealership. I love the Dart personally and found it to be a quieter ride. It would make a good tuner. It handled well and was comfortable. I would buy it still if I didn't have my Cruze. Since they are both new cars, with the Dart being far newer, you have to weight your options.

Yes Dodge had Darts in the past. They were great way back then, but this car is based on an Italian design. Italian cars are not known for their dependability. It has tuner potenital and not the muscle car of ages past.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Deja vu ! If you like plastic get a Dart . Door handles that fall off cool if you don't need to open yer doors .

·
Registered
706 Posts
Oh yea that too door handles on the darts are snapping

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im mostly looking for a good mix of mpg and power as well as quiet ride and comfort. i know i cant have both power and mpg but if it's a turd off the line the wife just gives it more throttle tills she gets goin and there goes the mpg. comfort is also important. i sat in a dart when i bought my ram and the seats were nice, almost felt like memory foam.

·
Registered
316 Posts
better transmission programming, improved shift quality, mylink radio, higher gearing on the auto means better mpg, I hit 42 mpg on the highway regularly avg between 34-36mpg on a tank generally. the 2013 models had some minor engine alterations, cam phasing and such i beleive but no bump in power. That said the 2011 and early 2012 seem to be the most trouble plagued. The cruze diesel for the 2014 model year. Other than that I dont believe much has changed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts