Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in addition to the many issues with my cruze, a couple weeks back, I was hit on the highway. Hit and run left me and 2 other vehicles to pay for our own repairs. This is the 3rd time my car has been hit, I wasn't even in it the second time. So I'm thinking I should get something else, I like the malibu, but can anyone tell me how much roomier it is than the cruze? specifically the back seat, and how about the gas mileage? My cruze has always been bad, but a 37 mpg malibu sounds nice. I also like all the safety features malibu has, like crash detection, lane change detection, etc. I'm also secretly in love with the Chevy SS, but I probably wouldn't go there because if I get a new vehicle, fuel economy and interior room are most important. Now if the SS is super roomy, t's a maybe. :)

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
The SS is slightly better for inside room than a Chrysler 300 and the rear doors give much easier access. The Malibu is in between Cruze and SS and the SS comes with all the safety warnings you could want including, blind spot alert, parking lot alert if a car is coming and so on. It is a Commodore with Chevy badges and they are a known reliable car. Remember the Pontiac G8, this is the new version.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my wife has a 2012 malibu and the back seat has a lot more room then the 2013. Its an awesome car with a smooth ride.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
The Malibu only has slightly more foot room in the rear seat than the cruze and all other interior specs are the same or less. If you get the Malibu ECO it actually has less trunk room than the cruze(stupid hybrid battery).

Real world the Malibu only gets 28mpg average(ECO Model). Just check out fuelly.com.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Screw the Malibu, get the '14 Impala.

GM is taking lessons from ford on body style. :3tens:

Yeah I would second that motion. Take the new impala for a spin.

The new malibus I sat in at the international car show I think had less rear seat room or equal to the cruze. Nothing really interests me in the malibu it sort of is pretty close to the cruze IMO.

So I would go for the cruze or the Impala. The only thing I am not sure about is the body side molding on the Impala. Have to see it in person to see if I like it or not. Hopefully it is just 3m double side taped on and doesn't have any holes in the body.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
+1 on the '14 Impala. I would much rather get the Impala than the Malibu. Although the '14 Malibu is a definite improvement.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The SS has a 40k price tag.

If you can wait till around fall you could get the redesigned 2014 Chevy Malibu.
The SS is going to be more than that, its going to be a low volume car. If it were me I'd wait for the inevitable huge 5k+ Malibu rebates and snag one with the 2.0T, lightly mod it and break rwd v8 and import kids hearts.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
So in addition to the many issues with my cruze, a couple weeks back, I was hit on the highway. Hit and run left me and 2 other vehicles to pay for our own repairs. This is the 3rd time my car has been hit, I wasn't even in it the second time. So I'm thinking I should get something else, I like the malibu, but can anyone tell me how much roomier it is than the cruze? specifically the back seat, and how about the gas mileage? My cruze has always been bad, but a 37 mpg malibu sounds nice. I also like all the safety features malibu has, like crash detection, lane change detection, etc. I'm also secretly in love with the Chevy SS, but I probably wouldn't go there because if I get a new vehicle, fuel economy and interior room are most important. Now if the SS is super roomy, t's a maybe. :)
The SS has more rear passenger room than the Malibu. SS = large car, Malibu = medium car.
The SS is based on the Holden Commodore SS here in Australia and the Commodore is THE most popular large car. It takes about 50% of the sales each month for large car sales. You can honestly fit 5 6" blokes in the car, all of which can be lounging and stretching their legs. It's a big car.
As for safety, it has everything that you've mentioned.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Seeing as some people here think that the Malibu is larger than the Commodore:
Ultra light car = Barina Spark
Light car = Barina (Aus) aka Sonic (USA)
Small car = Cruze
Medium car = Malibu
Large car = Commodore, Camaro, Impala and Cadillac.
Long wheel base = Statesman. Not sure what you guys have for LWB.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Screw the Malibu. If I was in the market for a midsize. I'd be over in the Mazda showroom driving the new Mazda6.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Just comparing the Cruze and the Malibu for interior room then I'd say the Malibu. I drove one and I felt like I was in a living room compared to the Cruze. Was getting the same mileage as my Cruze as well.
The exterior is almost a nice as the Cruze (imo of course) but I couldn't get over how ugly that dash was.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Im not a fan on the 2013 Malibu. The dash is supper ugly and the interior design overall inst all that impressive. Isn't Chevy having a real hard time selling them? The new Impala is a boat of a car but it looks **** good! The Valet feature in the new Impala is awesome.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
I would recommend the Impala, they did a side by side comparison against the Taurus SEL, Avalon, Kia Whatever, and 300s and it blew them all out of the water in every category except for acceleration which the avalon won. They marked points off on the Impala's interior, but that was because "the color combination with the grey leather was atrocious" which is stupid since there are other interior colors that you can choose from.

The Impala is definitely an amazing car, or its being led to be that way from about every source out there that have been able to test drive it, and ultimately I HATE the dash and HUD in the Malibu, along with the taillights. Not to mention I felt like I had to duck to enter the Malibu or else I would hit my head getting in/out of the car, and I don't even have that problem with my Cruze. Ultimately, I would have to see how the new Malibu re-design is, but I would recommend you pass and get a newer Cruze thats not the taboo 11 year, or get an Impala.

Then again if you have the money ignore everything and get the SS, we need someone on here with one to tell us how it is :p.

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Having driven the Cruze and Malibu (had a Malibu LTZ for a week), I can say that the Malibu is roomier, but the biggest difference is really just in width. The Cruze felt more nimble, while the Malibu felt a little softer. I personally liked it, but I didn't care for the fake wood grain.

For fuel economy, I'd get another Cruze. Just my personal opinion, unless you need the extra space. Sit in both and see which you like.

I really like the new Impala, but it's larger, heavier, significantly more expensive, and fuel economy won't be great at all. Expect insurance to be more as well.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Im not a fan on the 2013 Malibu. The dash is supper ugly and the interior design overall inst all that impressive. Isn't Chevy having a real hard time selling them? The new Impala is a boat of a car but it looks **** good! The Valet feature in the new Impala is awesome.
What trim do you have to have to get the Valet feature?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts