Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 Cruze RS that has driven like **** in the snow since I bought it. I've owned plenty of cars and have driven in snow for over 25 years in the Midwest. I've been through three sets of tires and they have all performed the same in the snow so that's not the issue. I apply the breaks with plenty of time to stop and if the car feels any type of slush or snow on the ground it immediately starts sliding and the traction control goes all nuts with a grinding noise like I slammed on the brakes, which I did not. It's ridiculous and it's really annoying. I call it my drama queen. Would snow tires make it stop? Are there any other options I could try?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
That’s how TC works on like any modern car ever.

For winter you want something that’s really good at ice. Like Goodyear ultra grips.

The snowflake symbol is kind a joke right now because it doesn’t differentiate between ice and snow performance well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
With a lighter car like the Cruze, I would get winter tires for sure. Traction control is expected to go nuts if your tires can't grip the road.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I always have separate winter wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires. Before I change the tires I always have in my trunk a pair of AutoSock (check Amazon for the size you want), They are good for ice or deep snow but you have to take them out after you pass the area with issues. Driving on these over 25-30 MPH will damage them but otherwise you can pass any icy hill without problems.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Winter tires. Done deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought my 2015 Chevy Cruze RS about two years ago (in January 2018).....part of the deal was that I wanted a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 Tires installed on the car when I picked it up from the dealership. Great tire, and living here in Canada, definitely a requirement if you're going to play in the snow (or ice).....

·
Super Moderator
6,808 Posts
As I mentioned in the other post you made about this - Blizzaks are the way to go. I live in WI if that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in Iowa and run Goodyear Eagle GT All Season. Just put my second set on. Not as good as a dedicated snow tire, but I put on about 15k a year on for milage. I have a 14 LTZ with the 18 inch tires. Discount tire has them for 130 a tire with a rebate.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Swap it for a Manual?

Snark aside I use El cheapo all season Starfire's (unbranded coopers) in MA.
Runs about $200 for all 4.

Car handles fine in the snow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those that are recommending winter tires.... are you replacing your regular tires with these and using them year-round or are you swapping back and forth them by season?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Kitten456-

Are you still running the factory tires? Those are the Firestone 710's? She mentions it's a 2014 RS. If I recall that's not the standard 16" Firestone.

For what it's worth I replaced the 16" Firestones on the 2012 LT with Michelin Defenders from Sams Club, and I really like them. I'm running these year around and have 40,000 miles on them, and I do suspect I'll get the rated 90,000 mile tread warranty before doing tires again. They hold the road in Minnesota. I don't work at Sams but once a year they have a tire special, and it's part of their Saturday November 9th sale. Get $100 off on a set of 4 tires, and given that its the special sale, they will also include $60 additional making it $160 total. Essentially your installation is free.

Given that road hazard is included at sams club, and it used to be an additional fee at places like discount tire.

Anyway good luck

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
For those that are recommending winter tires.... are you replacing your regular tires with these and using them year-round or are you swapping back and forth them by season?
winter tires are winter, not year round.

theyre not snow tires, theyre winter tires, softer rubber that doesnt become hockey puck in cold, and then tread/sipes/studs for traction.

i run studs, but im in more winter than most on this board.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you have storage room I would recommend separate wheels (steel) with winter tires and TPM sensors, always easy to replace them whenever you want :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kitten456-

Are you still running the factory tires? Those are the Firestone 710's? She mentions it's a 2014 RS. If I recall that's not the standard 16" Firestone.

For what it's worth I replaced the 16" Firestones on the 2012 LT with Michelin Defenders from Sams Club, and I really like them. I'm running these year around and have 40,000 miles on them, and I do suspect I'll get the rated 90,000 mile tread warranty before doing tires again. They hold the road in Minnesota. I don't work at Sams but once a year they have a tire special, and it's part of their Saturday November 9th sale. Get $100 off on a set of 4 tires, and given that its the special sale, they will also include $60 additional making it $160 total. Essentially your installation is free.

Given that road hazard is included at sams club, and it used to be an additional fee at places like discount tire.

Anyway good luck
I purchased this same deal at Sam's club and it's fantastic. Plus the tire rotation AND balancing is included for the life of the tires.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 14 Cruze RS that has driven like **** in the snow since I bought it. I've owned plenty of cars and have driven in snow for over 25 years in the Midwest. I've been through three sets of tires and they have all performed the same in the snow so that's not the issue. I apply the breaks with plenty of time to stop and if the car feels any type of slush or snow on the ground it immediately starts sliding and the traction control goes all nuts with a grinding noise like I slammed on the brakes, which I did not. It's ridiculous and it's really annoying. I call it my drama queen. Would snow tires make it stop? Are there any other options I could try?
I have a 2014 LTZ RS and live in Michigan. The Michelin tires I have on my car don't look like they would be good in the snow but, I find that it handles great in the snow. The tires also went 70K while only rated for 55K. Michelin Primacy MXM4 Tires.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I have a 2014 LTZ RS and live in Michigan. The Michelin tires I have on my car don't look like they would be good in the snow but, I find that it handles great in the snow. The tires also went 70K while only rated for 55K. Michelin Primacy MXM4 Tires.
i have the mxm4 as my 'summer' tires...studs from oct-apr...we get snow in the summer too, so need a tire good enough for that

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
We run the Xi3s on the stock wheels from around November to March or April (depending on how long the winter lasts), and the all-seasons on the MSRs for spring/summer/fall.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I run winter tires on separate alloy rims Nov-Apr. Swap them out with all seasons in the warmer months. Cruze does quite well in the winter with good tires IMO.

Which winter tires you choose depends on the average road conditions you drive most often. Some have deep lugs for better snow traction and some have small lugs and lots of siping for ice. Studs are good if you deal with compact snow and ice alot or are in the mountains/hills.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use winter tires in the winter and swap to all seasons in the spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts