Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2011 Cruze LT bought it 2 yrs ago, and a few months ago I went out to start my car and it would not start their was also no responds we couldn't even unlock the car with the button. So we replaced the battery since it was 3 yrs old.

Now the problem I'm having is every time the car sits untouched for more then 4 days the car won't start and nothing lights up inside. So we took it to a Chevy dealership and they said we just needed a bigger reserve capacity on our battery, so we went out and got the reserve capacity equivalent to what they would put in.

Now a few months later it is doing it again, but now it seems to have gotten worse. Now when it sits untouched for 2 or more days it wont start and nothing lights up inside. all I usually have to do is touch the jumper cables from my other car to my cruze an then everything lights up and it starts right up without me having to have the other car running for a bit.

So we took the car back to the same dealership that told us to get a bigger reserve capacity and they supposedly let it sit for almost 4 days and they said they can not find anything wrong with it, even tho they found something wrong the first go round and had to charge it for over an hour.

Does anyone else have a problem like this ? Or possibly might know what causing this parasitic drain?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Unable to give part location, however......the relay that shuts the power off after ten minutes (with exception the various memories) is supposed to re-energize the moment a change in electrical load is sensed.
This means, it re-energizes when you hit the remote, open a door, open the trunk on a unlocked car (such as you leave it in the garage for days without locking it)

Your description is that of this relay not re-energizing as designed.
Although solid state, there is still a electrical trigger mechanism involved.

You probably should describe this to the mechanic that will be assigned using my breakdown suggestion.
I think the translation from service writer to mechanic is getting muddied up along the way.

Regards,
Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this thread is very old and i’m sorry i couldn’t have answered you question 8 years ago. My advice to anyone having this issue it to replace your negative battery cable. Some cruzes had defective connections where the negative terminal and cable connect and would come loose. If you don’t want to spend the money all you need to do is wiggle the negative battery cable a little and try to start your car. If it doesn’t work try, try again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have a 2014 cruze 1.8l I bought 2 yrs ago, recently I went out to start the car. Turned the key, and it cranked and cranked and cranked and finally started. However it was sputtering really bad like it was misfiring until I gave it a little throttle and it cleared up.
The next day I started it in the morning and it did it again but this time I shut it off in the middle of cranking and it continued to crank for a few seconds. With no lights on the dash or nothing. Figured I'd see what everyone has to say before I take it somewhere. It always runs fine after I start driving. Seems to only do it in the morning after it sits
Thanks, Cody

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.