Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having problems with my 2012 Cruze. It won't start, just clicks. All the dash lights stay on though. When I did get it started it shut off after a few seconds. Eventually it started and I was off to work then an alarm went off saying it was overheating. I pulled over immediately. Opened the hood and nothing felt super hot to me. Then it started and I was able to drive back home with no problem. And now it won't start up again. I don't know if its a thermostat issue or a gas line freeze. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
None of the above.

Most likely this is a electrical issue.
1. May need updated negative battery cable (warranty extended).......causes high resistance, freaks out computers.
2. Corroded battery terminals......causes high resistance, freaks out computers.
3. Battery itself getting ready to sign off.......internal momentary voltage variation due to sulfation debris shorting plates out.

Rob

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It fired up this morning but this message comes up on the dash: AC OFF Due to high engeine temp.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw my coolant running at 220-234 degrees. The temp gauge was almost pointing down halfway. The coolant was around the first line on the tank. Does this take Dex Cool?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will be checking the battery cable today. I did get the car turned on after a few tries this cold AM. Under the hood I am hearing a clicky sound while it's running. I don't know if this is normal or not. I'm not mechanically inclined. I did see now the check engine light is on. Will check that as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: The OBD II code I got from the check engine light was P00B6. Is this a seriously and or costly fix?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Take everyone else's advice and look at the negative battery cable. Cruze's have tons of problems with this issue. You could spend thousands of dollars trying to fix problems that don't really exist. I'd also get the battery checked liked others have mentioned. My OEM battery went bad after 2 years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I removed the battery cable and cleaned it and also the battery terminal as suggested. The digital readout of the coolant temp was still all over the place. I do get heat in the car.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
UPDATE: The OBD II code I got from the check engine light was P00B6.
When the car has been off for 8 hours or more, it checks the engine temp and radiator temp sensors on start up. It expects to see a reasonable match between the two. If it doesn't, it will set that code. The code suggests that there is a problem with one of those sensors or the wiring. That could easily explain the false overheat warning.

As for how to fix it - the code is just a stating point. Someone would have to troubleshoot further to see what's wrong.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took it to the local Chevy dealer. They said the thermostat was bad and was leaking coolant and had cracked hoses or something. $580 they said and should have it done today or tomorrow since they had what they needed in stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts