Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Cruzen2.0 - Part 2 (Anything from Aug 2018 to Apr 2020)

30320 Views 161 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Sgp24
This Thread will be documenting the more gradual work being done to the car that comes as a result of it being a daly driver.

Quote from 8/28/18:
"Additional torque mount to combat flop in stock Buick mounts. It's not pretty, the welds are absolutely atrocious (just the body side mount), but it ain't coming off on its own. The link was about $9 on ebay and the brackets were thrown together with stuff I had on hand."
Looks like I might add 2 more to the top of the trans and stiffen up the front trans mount, still too much movement for me even after this mod and filling in the voids in the rear trans mount.
Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part
Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive fuel system Pipe
Auto part Engine Fuel line Automotive engine part Vehicle
Auto part Fuel line Automotive fuel system Engine

Changed to solid rear trans mount, later changed to a filled in stock mount due to excessive NVH. While I had the exhaust off to get to the mount, I took the following videos. To those asking, YES, the second vid is 100% stock Verano exhaust.
141 - 160 of 162 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 · (Edited)
I changed my mind on the configuration for what will hopefully be the final exhaust setup. Also still waiting on parts to arrive for the rebuild thanks to delays stemming from the gm strike. Since the engine went, I've honestly just been hoping the thing is driving in time for Hot Rod Power Tour 2020 so I'm not really in any hurry. Will try to update as things happen/change.

· Registered
664 Posts
That looks lovely... I was looking at a buick verano 6spd on carvana before I bought my cruze but it sold... still thinking of using the verano turbos exhaust as a cat back. Cheap from the yard and should flow good enough for any modded 1.4 cruze.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Still alive.

2.0 has just been sitting with the new engine right next to it and no work being done on it. Not sure if I'm doing Power Tour, might still not have the car fixed by then anyways.

I dont know how many of the changes I planned to make while I had it apart will actually get done. Looking like other than the engine replacement with the upgraded turbo, the catch can might be the only other change to the car. Probably going to leave the existing exhaust on it for now but it will need replacing/repairing eventually.

· Registered
664 Posts
Still love it... nice to know this combo fits... I may have to do this later on if I get bored with the sunbird when I get the gt28 on it.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 · (Edited)
Got the new engine ready to go in the car, not sure when it will. It took considerable effort to get to the point of things all bolting up where they should what with things like zzp not seeming to care if the turbo mashes up against the exhaust manifold (took off about 2mm from the compressor housing to keep it from touching) or any heat sheilds that were in place on stock applications. Found a broken starter and broken clutch when taking things apart, luckily I had a new clutch on hand because I was intending to go from a stage 3 to 3+ clutch at some point so I ordered it and ended up changing my mind intending to keep the new clutch on hand until the old one wore out. This is partly because my dad mentioned to me, and I hate that its true, "they (engine/trans) are going to come out again at some point anyways, probably for some other repair" once I admitted to myself his expectations were the most realistic outcome I figured there was not much point in changing anything and had intended to reuse the old clutch.... right up until parts of the old clutch fell out of the trans on their own as I was removing the trans from the old engine.

A note, because the Verano (and therefore the cruze as it is on the same platform) is the smallest car to recive the LHU, a significant amount of drivetrain repairs are engine-out affairs.

I need to order parts to build a new intake because the inlet is bigger on the new turbo and I also managed to break a section of the original intake pipe anyways.

For possibly slightly more info (and some pics that may not be posted here too, I cant remember if i've posted things in what place) thecruzen on instagram, I tend to post there first then filter/condense things for those people here.

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,181 Posts
Got the new engine ready to go in the car, not sure when it will. It took considerable effort to get to the point of things all bolting up where they should what with things like zzp not seeming to care if the turbo mashes up against the exhaust manifold (took off about 2mm from the compressor housing to keep it from touching) or any heat sheilds that were in place on stock applications. Found a broken starter and broken clutch when taking things apart, luckily I had a new clutch on hand because I was intending to go from a stage 3 to 3+ clutch at some point so I ordered it and ended up changing my mind intending to keep the new clutch on hand until the old one wore out. This is partly because my dad mentioned to me, and I hate that its true, "they (engine/trans) are going to come out again at some point anyways, probably for some other repair" once I admitted to myself his expectations were the most realistic outcome I figured there was not much point in changing anything and had intended to reuse the old clutch.... right up until parts of the old clutch fell out of the trans on their own as I was removing the trans from the old engine.

A note, because the Verano (and therefore the cruze as it is on the same platform) is the smallest car to recive the LHU, a significant amount of drivetrain repairs are engine-out affairs.

I need to order parts to build a new intake because the inlet is bigger on the new turbo and I also managed to break a section of the original intake pipe anyways.

For possibly slightly more info (and some pics that may not be posted here too, I cant remember if ive posted things in what place) thecruzen on instagram, I tend to post there first then remember people here might be interested
Insta-what?

· Registered
821 Posts
Reactions: guuyuk

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 · (Edited)
Here's some noise from Cruzen2.0 (which now runs again) with its new crate 2.0T (to replace the 2.0T from the original swap).

And some revs (after I was fairly sure it wouldn't blow up).

It took another 30 min plus after this to get the coolant system bled and make sure the new engine wouldn't kill itself.

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts

· COTM Winner
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
896 Posts
How did you get it to 2”. Also what brand did it start off as

Also curious about this I have a small utility trailer I use for odds and ends and wouldn't hurt my feelings to be able to use the cruze to pull it instead of the trailblazer

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,126 Posts
I'm more interested in what happened in the past year or so. :LOL:

Reactions: Blasirl

· COTM Winner
896 Posts
I'm more interested in what happened in the past year or so. :LOL:
LOL well there is that as well .. I.m trying to chase down more recent posts by people where I see mods they did ad what not ... keep finding people that dropped off, So eventually I guess I'll just have to try some things and see if they work ..

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts
I got the curt hitch and love it. I’m gonna guess they took it to a fab shop, had them cut the 1 7/8 box out and weld in the 2inch. I’m definitely considering it myself for the sheer amount of 2 inch accessories

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
I got the curt hitch and love it. I’m gonna guess they took it to a fab shop, had them cut the 1 7/8 box out and weld in the 2inch. I’m definitely considering it myself for the sheer amount of 2 inch accessories
Just buy a 1-7/8 to 2" adapter.

· COTM Winner
896 Posts
Just buy a 1-7/8 to 2" adapter.
Personally I'd do the remove and re-weld and add gussets for strength most of the ones I have seen on smaller cars look like they are 1.5 inch square given this was viewed going down the road . And Id have to see the receiver set up.. not planning on pulling a boat or anything but i don't want it to snap off on these beautiful Michigan roads and destroy the back of my car either

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
I’ve thought about it but I just hate rattle lol. With a proper welded in box there is less rattle. Petty reason I know
this simple setup will stop the rattle.

· Administrator
14,181 Posts
Personally I'd do the remove and re-weld and add gussets for strength most of the ones I have seen on smaller cars look like they are 1.5 inch square given this was viewed going down the road . And Id have to see the receiver set up.. not planning on pulling a boat or anything but i don't want it to snap off on these beautiful Michigan roads and destroy the back of my car either
The Cruze is only rated for 1000 lbs of towing and you need to minus the passengers and luggage as well. By modifying the hitch manufacturer is completely off the hook and I am sure your insurance company would deny any claims as well unless of course you have a PE (Professional Engineer designation) sign off on it.

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts
The Cruze is only rated for 1000 lbs of towing and you need to minus the passengers and luggage as well. By modifying the hitch manufacturer is completely off the hook and I am sure your insurance company would deny any claims as well unless of course you have a PE (Professional Engineer designation) sign off on it.
Laughing in diesel tow rating.

141 - 160 of 162 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.