Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2013 Cruze Eco with 143k mi. I have concerns about the life of the turbo and the life of the clutch. The car drives out very well. There appears to be a very small oil film on the exhaust pipe at the flange. Is this a sign of an oil leak at the turbo? Or is this just a film from a fresh oil change. I didn't check out the location of the oil filter. Also the car is very well kept and mechanically maintained. What kind of life-in miles- should i expect to get from the clutch and turbo?

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,369 Posts
That's a lot of miles regardless of the vehicle type. Do a search in the forum for turbo issues. I have seen a few about cracked turbos. If you get the car for a good price start saving for the repairs, especially if you want to mod it beyond stock. There are others on here that can give you more specifics.

Welcome Aboard! :welcome:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's for my 20 y/o college son. He totaled his tC last weekend and has a limited amount of insurance $$. So, modding it beyond stock is not exactly on the budget. i have read several threads, here, on the turbos but those seem to have fewer than 100k.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,524 Posts
At that mileage, not likely the clutch has a whole lot of life in it. We've seen them wear out from 80-200k depending on what kind of driving is done with the car.

Turbos are hit or miss. A good oil is key to keeping them around, but often the wastegate pins wear out as well.

There are likely manual Cruzes out there with less mileage for similar prices, maybe some even with a warranty remaining. I think that would be money better spent.

·
Registered
215 Posts
There are a few cars here with that mileage or more on the original clutch and turbo, but that's the result of religious maintenance and prudent operation. Anything but the most impressive maintenance history and best past drivers mean if you bought that car you should have money set aside for a clutch and turbo from day one.

Reactions: Blasirl
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.