Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first winter with my Cruze. I can say this car is not really built for winter. It sits quite low to the ground and ice and hard snow is tough to get out of the wheel wells. Tried breaking some out but since the frame seems to a plastic type material I can't bang on it hard w/o it flexing too much and I already broke a piece of plastic doing so.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
No, it's not built for deep snow. However other than the real slow warm up in the winter I've had no problems with mine and I've gone through some pretty deep snow. What the Cruze does have is weight. This translates into better traction.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,983 Posts
Trying to think of a small car in the same class that was built with snow and ground clearance in mind. Came up with the Impreza and that's about it.

For a little car though, Cruzes get around pretty good in it though if you've got decent tires on it. I've driven better (Impala, Jeep, Volvos) and I've driven much worse.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
No problems with mine. Wife only got it stuck once and that was the day we got 16.5". Some boys pushed her out.

I run Nokian Hakkapelita R2 winter tires on all four corners, December to March.

Reactions: jmlo96

·
Registered
635 Posts
I bought a AWD cx3 to replace the wife's Kia soul (worst car I've ever driven in the snow) and a 4x4 ranger which rocks deep snow. But the last 2 years I've been stuck relying on the cruze for winter driving, and I gotta say it's the best little car over elantra corolla civic and Fiesta that I've driven. Very happy with it and I'm just on the low pro Michelle's from factory

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you wanted something with any consideration given toward adverse terrain/weather in its engineering, shoulda bought a Trax. :D The Cruze is one of the poster children of fuel economy for Chevy, and to achieve that necessitates the best aerodynamics possible which means minimal ground clearance, wheel to fender clearance, etc., and as many parts as possible made from alternative materials including plastic. Also suspension, tires, and such tuned for comfort and handling, not necessarily brute traction. Mine does alright for what it is, and much better than most 2WD trucks I've driven in snow, but my '96 LeSabre with that 3800 V6/4T65E sitting on top of soft suspension did much better.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think my Cruze is one of the best winter cars I've ever had. Even over my old 4x4 Cherokee. I run Blizzaks on the Cruze and it will go through anything. Just yesterday I drove it in the total ice roads and I never slid once. It will go up hills the Cherokee used to get stuck in 4x4 too.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My Eco was decent until I was on bald tires. Tires makes a difference with these cars, or with any car in general.
Amen to that! The difference between my bald FR710's and the Uniroyal Tiger Paws that replaced them was surprising in every way.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
I've driven through blizzards with snow tires on my Cruze for a whole day when every fast food joint was closing up and sending their workers home.

I've also driven with half used up "summer tires" in only a couple inches of snow that iced the roads over completely, and driven past three cars lined up against the guardrail because they couldn't get up a hill, and then a 4x4 plow truck that also couldn't get up a hill.

The Cruze is just fine in the snow.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
My cruze is great in the snow. The deepest snow so far I have driven it in has been about 6 inches. That was with the factory tires and it did great. Looking forward to trying out my second set of tires. The cruze is much better than the civic we had in the snow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Put 100k on my Cruze ECO in Michigan winters. Snow tires made a huge difference. Was the thing a tank? No, but it wasn't really all that bad. As long as the snow wasn't over 6", it was fine. Sold the car to my buddy, and he has been driving it this year. He's happy with it, but I included the Michelin XIce3 snows with the purchase. Moved to a Focus ST this year, and it is about the same in the snow. It is currently sporting Blizzak WS80s.

As for the snow in the wheel wells...leave it be. The tires will self clearance. You just risk cracking brittle plastic, trying to kick it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts