Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started this awhile back when I first started using CruzeTalk as a reference for my own Cruze and just recently ran across it and thought I should post it here. If anyone has some abbreviations or acronyms used here that are not included, post them and I will add them to the list. I also have some that I could not define if you know those also.

ABS: Anti-lock Brake System
AKA: Also known as ...
AKI:
Anti-Knock Index - what we refer to as the octane level of fuel. i.e. 85/87/89/91/93 etc. or AKA colloquially unlead, midgrade and premium.
API SN/SN+: The API SN PLUS specification was requested by the automobile industry to protect passenger vehicles from low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI). See ASN+
BAS: Brake Actuator Sensor
Bluetooth A2DP streaming: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile for Bluetooth stereo
BNIB: Brand New in Box
BNR: Bad News Racing, a supporting vendor
BTW: By the way
CAN-Bus: Controller Area Network – vehicle bus. See CAN-Bus
CEL: Check Engine Light - See SEL

CTD:
Cruze Turbo Diesel - Also see LH7 and LUZ
COTM: Cruze of the Month (Yes, You can vote today!-temporarily suspended due to lack of interest)
DD: Diode Dynamics, a supporting vendor

D1g2: refers to Dexos1 Gen2, which is an oil specification created by GM, similar to but more stringent (in some ways) than API SN Plus.
DMF: Double mass flywheel - for a G2 manual trans
DPF: Diesel Particulate Filter
DEF: Diesel Exhaust Fluid

DIC: Drivers Information Center
DTC: Diagnostic Trouble Code
ECO:
Cruze ECO (Fuel economy model) trim. We've had multiple new members over the years say they have an ECO when they're referring to the EcoTech engine, which all of GM's small cars use now.
ECOTEC: Emissions Control Optimization TEChnology
EGR:
Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve/system (what is it?) (where is it? #4) (how do I clean it?)

FS: For Sale
FWIW: For what it’s worth
DB/DD:
Firmware
Gen 1: 1st Generation Cruze 2011-2016 (Limited Trim)
Gen 2: 2nd Generation Cruze 2016 Premier(excl Limited) [otherwise known as 2016.5]- Present
HTH: Hope That Helps
HW/SW/FW: Hardware / Software / Freeware
Intellilink:
See
MyLink
IIRC: If I recall correctly (or for some - remember)
IMO: In my opinion
IMHO: In my humble/honest opinion
JW: just wondering

LE2: This is the RPO code for the
GM 1.4-Liter Turbo I4 Ecotec LE2 Engine - See LE2
LH7: This is the RPO code for the 1.6L I4 LH7 Turbo Diesel “Whisperdiesel”. SeeLH7
Lordstown: Short for Lordstown, Ohio, location of U.S. GM Plant where Cruzen are made and home of the Annual CruzeTalk Lordstown Meet each May. (Until the Lordstown Shutdown anyway!)
LPSI: Low Speed Pre Ignition - the spontaneous ignition of the fuel/air mixture prior to spark-triggered ignition.
LUJ: The LUJ and LUV are identical engines. Initially, General Motors planned to release an E85 capable version of the LUJ, therein changing the RPO code to LUV. However, the LUV was never calibrated to use E85, and is therefore not E85 capable. See also LUV - Read more at
LUJ/LUV
LUV: This is an RPO code for the GM 1.4 Liter Turbo I4 Ecotec LUJ/LUV Engine - See also LUJ - Read more: LUJ/LUV
LUW: This is an RPO code for the GM 1.8L Ecotec I4 LUW Engine - Read more at
LUW
LUZ: This is the RPO code for the 2.0L Turbo Diesel I4 LUZ Engine - Read more at LUZ
MAF: Mass Air Flow sensor (what is it?)(where is it?)(how do I clean it?)
MAP: Manifold Air Pressure sensor
(what is it?)(where is it?) (how do I clean it?)
MIL: Malfuntion Indicator Lamp
MOTM: Member of the Month (Yes,
You can vote today!)

MyLink AKA Intellilink: a telematics system/infotainment system offered by General Motors vehicles starting in the 2012 model year.
NOACK: A volatility test named after Kurt Noack that determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high-temperature service. See NOACK
NOS: New old stock (I.E. a very old part that is in new condition)
NOs: Nitrous Oxide - good stuff

NOx: Nitrogen Oxides - bad stuff
NVH: An OEM term that stands for Noise, Vibration, and Harshness
OAT: Outside Air Temperature
OBD II
– PID: On Board diagnostics version 2 – Parameter Identification (ID’s) See OBD-II_PID
OE: Original Equipment
OEM: Original equipment manufacturer
OP: Original Poster / Original Post
PDI: Pre-Delivery Inspection
PDIM: Personal Device Interface Module
PDMI: Portable Digital Media Interface
PI: Preli
minary Information as in a PI# such as PI0233..........Inaccurate Outside Air Temperature (OAT) display
R&R: Remove and Replace
RPO: Regular Production Option is a term GM uses to define different options on their vehicles. Yours are located on your glove box door on a Gen I and the spare tire well on a Gen II.
SEL: Service Engine Light - See CEL
SMF: Single mass flywheel
SPI: See SPID
SPID: Service Parts Identification label - This is the RPO code listing found on the glove box door of the Gen I's and in the trunk well of the Gen II's

TSB: Technical Service Bulletin as in TSB#10399A.........Thermostat Sticks Open
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary
WOT-Tuning: Wide Open Throttle – Tuning, a supporting vendor
WTB: Wanted to buy
WRT: With Respect To

WTT: Wanted to trade
ZDDP: Zinc dithiophosphate. It is an antiwear additive in engine oil mandated by API at no more than 800 ppm for zinc and phosphorus.
ZZP: ZZPerformance , a prominent performance parts manufacturer for the Cruze/Sonic platforms

Cruze trim levels
LS: Luxury Sport
LT: Luxury Touring
LTZ: Luxury Touring w/ z performance package or Luxury Touring Special and now known as Premier
RS: Rallye Sport trim option package (not available on the CTD)

Other GM abbreviations
DTS: Deville Touring Sedan
GT: Grand Touring
GTO: Gran Turismo Omologato
GS: Gran Sport
LE: Limited Edition
RS: Rally Sport
R/T: Road and Track
SE: Special Edition
SS: Super Sport
STS: Seville Touring Sedan
T/A: Trans AM or Trans America

Holden trim levels
CD: Corp diplomatic (or Diplomatique) i.e. base Cruze or now Equipe
CDX: Corp diplomatic Luxe or Luxury Cruze
SRi : Sport Rallye – injected (as opposed to carbureted)
SRi-V:Sport Rallye injected – ????? Vauxhall ????? Does anyone know what the V stands for?

SX: special edition
SX Limited: Limited Edition SX

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Good stuff.......I like IT!

CTD: Cruze Turbo Diesel
Gen 2: 2nd Generation Cruze 2016 (excl Limited) - Present
Lordstown: Short for Lordstown, Ohio, location of U.S. GM Plant where Cruzen are made and home of the Annual CruzeTalk Lordstown Meet each May.

·
Administrator
25,208 Posts
I would add

ECO: Cruze ECO (Fuel economy model) trim. We've had multiple new members over the years say they have an ECO when they're referring to the EcoTech engine, which all of GM's small cars use now.

·
Super Moderator
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good stuff.......I like IT!

CTD: Cruze Turbo Diesel
Gen 2: 2nd Generation Cruze 2016 (excl Limited) - Present
Lordstown: Short for Lordstown, Ohio, location of U.S. GM Plant where Cruzen are made and home of the Annual CruzeTalk Lordstown Meet each May.
I would add

ECO: Cruze ECO (Fuel economy model) trim. We've had multiple new members over the years say they have an ECO when they're referring to the EcoTech engine, which all of GM's small cars use now.
Added Gent's,

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
DPF - Diesel Particualate Filter
DEF - Diesel Exhaust Fluid
EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation
NOx - Nitrogen Oxides

·
Super Moderator
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thank you for the additions Gentleman.

Added and just for Karmatourer I added remember
I use it more as I approach 70,so it quallifies my responses ahead of time!

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Hey @Blasirl I’ve always wondered how LT1 and LT2 trims differ, perhaps definitions would be helpful, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey @Blasirl I’ve always wondered how LT1 and LT2 trims differ, perhaps definitions would be helpful, thanks!
I looked at that yesterday when I got the email notification of your post. That is a bit of an undertaking, maybe when work slows down a bit.

·
Super Moderator
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More terms to be added that came from a recent post: Oil + LSPI

NOACK volatility tests the vaporization loss of engine oil under heat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noack_volatility_test (The Noack volatility test, named after Kurt Noack,[SUP][1][/SUP] determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high-temperature service. )

API SN and API SN+ are engine oil specifications. https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/mot...-plus-is-here/ (The API SN PLUS specification was requested by the automobile industry to protect passenger vehicles from low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI))

LSPI is Low Speed Pre-Ignition.
https://www.amsoil.com/lander/lspi-update/ (LSPI is the spontaneous ignition of the fuel/air mixture prior to spark-triggered ignition.)

ZDDP is Zinc dithiophosphate. It is an antiwear additive in engine oil mandated by API at no more than 800ppm for zinc and phosphorous.

AMSOIL SS (Signature Series), AMSOIL XL, and AMSOIL OE [Original Equipment] are oils made by AMSOIL for street vehicles, which come in a variety of viscosities. OE is rated for OEM drain intervals, XL [Extended Length?] is rated for 1 year or 12k miles, whichever comes first, and Signature Series is rated for 15,000 miles in severe service, 25,000 miles in normal service, or 1 year, whichever comes first.

AKI is anti-knock index, and is what we refer to as the octane level of the fuel.

D1g2 refers to Dexos1 Gen2, which is an oil specification created by GM, similar to but more stringent (in some ways) than API SN Plus.

Groan, I had this all set and edited to be placed on the first page, I clicked on the first page to put the first term and realized I could not edit two windows in the same tab, went back and guess what, all gone - second time for this to happen to me in two days - think I'd learn or something - But noooo!

·
Super Moderator
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Me neither

I suppose it has something to do with the Gipper dancing to hip hop.

Snippet from Wikipedia:
Hip-hop and sampling[edit]As hip-hop came of age during the 1980s, Ronald Reagan became the first president to make mention of its music and culture, and Reagan in turn became the first major political figure to recur as a subject in the genre.[SUP][82][/SUP] Proto-rapper Gil Scott-Heron made Reagan the subject of his 1981 song "B-movie"[SUP][83][/SUP] as well as his 1984 single "Re-Ron" focusing on Reagan's re-election campaign.[SUP][84][/SUP]

The 1980s also saw the widespread use of sampling sounds for use in music, and as sampling equipment became more affordable, both experimental and hip hop artists utilized with greater frequency.[SUP][85][/SUP] Sound collage group Negativland first sampled Reagan on their 1981 album Points on the instrumental track "The Answer Is", where the music interrupted by the president stuttering, "The problem isn't being poor, the problem is, uh ... the answer is ..." [SUP][86][/SUP] The art rock band 3 Teens Kill 4 sampled Reagan and anecdotes about him in their 1984 song "Tell Me Something Good". In 1985 P-Funk bassist Bootsy Collins and Jerry Harrison from Talking Heads teamed up as the supergroup Bonzo Goes to Washington[SUP][87][/SUP] (named for Reagan's early 1960s films Bedtime for Bonzo and Bonzo Goes to College)[SUP][88][/SUP] to release a single that heavily sampled the president saying, "My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes," during a microphone test.[SUP][89][/SUP] German Techno act Moskwa TV sampled the same phrase in the "bombing mix" of their 1985 dance track, "Tekno Talk."[SUP][46][/SUP]
A snippet of Reagan saying "out of control" was looped by DJ Jazzy Jeff, Was (Not Was) and EPMD.[SUP][90][/SUP] The president had originally used the expression in reference to the national debt and was appropriated by dance artists to entice their audiences.[SUP][90][/SUP]

·
Super Moderator
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cleaned up a bunch of text issues including fonts, sizes and effects, added most of the oil terms from a few posts ago, and added the relevant GM engine codes and a few other miscellaneous acronyms.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts