Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
LOL. 14vs13. Cruze has DEF system, neither of the volkswagens do do.

Try this again with the new 2015 Golf TDI....will smack the Cruze TD around. People are averaging 50mpg on brand new engines with the 2015 Golf TDI's.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
LOL. 14vs13. Cruze has DEF system, neither of the volkswagens do do.

Try this again with the new 2015 Golf TDI....will smack the Cruze TD around. People are averaging 50mpg on brand new engines with the 2015 Golf TDI's.
I wonder if VW would have made the improvements if Chevy hadn't released the CTD.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't believe that adding the DEF was done as an improvement, it has to do with meeting current emission requirements. I believe you will see similar issues with VW also as these systems are brand new and obviously have some early problems to iron out. Anyone know where the VW diesel engine is made?

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I just read the "Repost" and saw what I had written when my Cruze was 1 year old and now at 2years and 3 months nothing has changed, still not a single issue. I don't care what other makes say I am a happy Cruze driver and that is all that matters.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't believe that adding the DEF was done as an improvement, it has to do with meeting current emission requirements. I believe you will see similar issues with VW also as these systems are brand new and obviously have some early problems to iron out. Anyone know where the VW diesel engine is made?
Silao, Mexico...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I just read the "Repost" and saw what I had written when my Cruze was 1 year old and now at 2years and 3 months nothing has changed, still not a single issue. I don't care what other makes say I am a happy Cruze driver and that is all that matters.
And that is all that really matters!

To many happy trouble free miles ahead. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,304 Posts
I wonder if VW would have made the improvements if Chevy hadn't released the CTD.
Vw has recently done mid-cycle refreshes with pretty much their whole car lineup. New powertrains that weren't antiqued crap were tops on their list. The Jetta got some desperately needed interior updates, and the new Golf looks extremely nice.

The TDI engine, arguably their strongest competitor before the new midrange 1.8T despite the HPFP problems, gets some well-needed updates as well.

Reliability though...remains to be seen. Hasn't historically been a strong point. I laughed when I saw an Audi AllRoad (historically one of the LEAST reliable cars on the road today) and Passat on CR's "most reliable list" this year.

·
Registered
660 Posts
They already had it on the newer Passat TDI, so I believe it was in the works.

DEF is a large part of it. It allows them to run the vehicle much leaner and make more power, which translates to MPG. Just look at the 2012, 13, 14 passat TDI numbers. People with the manual are getting 50+ and it's not a small car. There is improvements in the engine as well though. Newer golf is also lighter as well.

If I was going Diesel, it would be a 2015 Golf TDI all day, wouldn't even consider a Cruze TD lol.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sooo, which one can tow more? :1poke:

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Sooo, which one can tow more? :1poke:
The Holden Cruze manual says the diesel can tow 750kg if the trailer has no brakes and 1200kg if the trailer has brakes. I have no idea what the VW can tow.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The Holden Cruze manual says the diesel can tow 750kg if the trailer has no brakes and 1200kg if the trailer has brakes. I have no idea what the VW can tow.
Has anyone seen the 2015 owners manual for the US Cruze Diesel to see if GM changed their "no towing" policy for the Cruze TD?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts