Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Curious About Something

4026 27
I would like to know what the role of the GM Social Media Customer Representative (Stacy/others) is, and how they interact with the dealers? I have looked though many posts and found nothing where the Social Media Representative helped on any issue, other than giving you another ear to talk too. Somehow, I have a feeling that this is GM's way of tracking issues and other items about us, our purchases, and how we operate and take care of them. Most of the posts that I have seen, the Social Media Representative usually says keep me informed of the situation/or asks for the VIN# and your personal information! I have never seen where the Social Media Representative was actually a go between us and the dealer or GM! I fortunately have only a couple of issues on my new vehicle, but the failure of anything happening after relaying all of the information is a bit concerning. Soial Media can be a big help, but can also lead to issues, like facebook. So I was just curious as to who has had issues taken care of OR was interjected by the Social Media Representative and caused the dealer to contact you. Unfortunately I have a douche for a dealer and that is solely what I am basing things on, his response to me!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
I don't think the GM Social Media rep has any input to GM, other than monitoring what is said on this forum and others.

I didn't get any help from my dealer. I contacted GM directly and they were no help either. Oh, they all listened, and were polite, but in the end did nothing to solve my minor issues. Once the money has changed hands, the relationship changes from what is represented prior to the sale.

IMO, what is strange as a busines model is the fact that dealers don't make much money ($1000 or less) selling a new Cruze, they make their money on trade-in used vehicles and on servicing the ones they sell. It would seem to be in the dealer's interest (as well as GM's) to maintain a good relationship with the customer by giving attention to and resolving issues the buyer has. Apparently that is too difficult.

Car salesmen (and car companies) have earned their reputations!

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think the GM Social Media rep has any input to GM, other than monitoring what is said on this forum and others.

I didn't get any help from my dealer. I contacted GM directly and they were no help either. Oh, they all listened, and were polite, but in the end did nothing to solve my minor issues. Once the money has changed hands, the relationship changes from what is represented prior to the sale.

IMO, what is strange as a busines model is the fact that dealers don't make much money ($1000 or less) selling a new Cruze, they make their money on trade-in used vehicles and on servicing the ones they sell. It would seem to be in the dealer's interest (as well as GM's) to maintain a good relationship with the customer by giving attention to and resolving issues the buyer has. Apparently that is too difficult.

Car salesmen (and car companies) have earned their reputations!
I see you were (are) in the same position as I am with the dealer. You know, I don't mind in relating my problems to a second party if they want to help, but to give out personal information and STILL get no help after jumping through hoops, that is my beef. They have a "blanket" response for every situation, and with that, it's on your own. I tried to get "Stacy" involved regarding my situation with direct e-mails,,,,no response. My previous car, an Impala went through 150,000+ miles of virtually no issues. Well, back to the dealer we go and more time wasted,,,,Thanks Social Media!!!

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Yeah, I saw that already, that what prompted my initial post,,,,,,,this is only a tracking and "second ear" service, no more than that, because again, I have not seen anybody benefit from any iteraction between Social Media and the end user!
And you never will. Social Media rep.........Big Brother.......one in the same to me. A waste of time!

· Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Many companies are doing this now. In most cases, they are deployed out to websites like this to upchannel information about various different issues. Its designed for the average user or customer to "be heard" If 100 people come here and complain about a glovebox rattle or customers are frequently not getting the rated gas mileage, some of that information is sent back to higher ups at GM. Many companies, take AT&T for example, do Social Media work on various sites.

Some friends and I have our own page that is constantly crawling with people from the AT&T social media team. Our page is AT&T specific and they are very interested. AT&Ts Corporate Facebook page is a huge example, people have account issues, they can post how they feel about whats going on with their account, and a representative may contact them offline to get the issue resolved. Its an alternate channel from having to sit on a phone and get an account fixed.

Many times they may have information about an issue that we cant get an answer on, or on information that isnt directly published. I dont see it as a waste of time. Anyone that thinks its a waste of time, has no idea what they do. They arent moderators, they are here to find and answer questions that you may not have access to. Social media is an extremely powerful tool and I for one, dont want them going anywhere. Some of us coming over from the DSM community will understand in the mid 1990s when the crankshafts started falling out of cars, we didnt have anyone to go to bat for us. a few cars here and there were going into the dealerships all over the US with a problem, well when you have 100,000 or 300,000 people on a website all coming to one place to complain, its amazing how fast word gets out that there is an issue.

Take the clutch failure sticky as an example of this. a few isolated instances where clutches failed is one thing, but when you have a thread with 300,000 views and 2,500 responses with people saying the same thing. The social media team can relay this to GM and its something corporate can watch for trending. It may trigger a TSB or even a recall.

In the event something happens to my car and I take it to the dealership and they offer to put a band-aid on it rather than fixing it the way it should be done, she will be the first one I get a hold of. Social Media working with corporate to come down from upper management to get the dealer straightened out.

· Registered
203 Posts
Take the clutch failure sticky as an example of this. a few isolated instances where clutches failed is one thing, but when you have a thread with 300,000 views and 2,500 responses with people saying the same thing. The social media team can relay this to GM and its something corporate can watch for trending. It may trigger a TSB or even a recall.
As much as I'd like to believe this is true, in the corporate world, rumor and opinions of the general consumer have very little importance to the bottom line. They don't care if 100,000 people say they like the product. They care about what J.D. Power & Associates, Motor Trend, Car & Driver and Consumer Reports says. They care about potential customers a lot more than current consumers.

I used to sell cars (1993-1996), and worked my way up to Business Manager of new car sales for a Chevrolet/Hyundai dealer. It's what called "a dog and pony show". Make people believe you care and they'll keep coming back. In the end, it all comes down to the bottom line and whether its black or red. We were the largest, most popular, and most respected dealership in the area, but after about 2 yrs after I left, they sold out because they were very close to having to file bankruptcy. Unfortunately, making the customer happy isn't always financially beneficial. Everyone in the world can think GM is the best car company in the world, but if they're loosing money every year, does it really matter if you or I like them?

I'm trying to be objective of what good it does to have someone from GM monitoring sites like this, but in the end, I don't think it really matters. Yeah, they're trying to do their best to improve, but right now they realized their past efforts weren't working (hence the "bail out") and they're just trying different strategies. I'm not saying it's a waste of time, but I doubt it's as effective as they'd like you and I to believe.

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
A few issues I would like to clarify. I'm part of a department for General Motors that reaches out to customers via social media (including forums like this one, Facebook, and Twitter). In doing this, we're hoping to assist customers who otherwise might not contact us regarding a particular situation. Part of my role is to work with your GM Dealer to assist in getting the vehicle repaired and to evaluate the case and your concerns, as well as find some kind of resolution for you.

In some ways, I acknowledge that my responses are perhaps limited in depth and scope. I am operating entirely from the GM-approved resources available to me, and when it comes to trouble shooting some problems an owner's manual is the only thing I can contribute from. Our approach to diagnosing concerns is that our dealerships are our eyes and ears, and that an in-person look at a vehicle is the only way the vehicle can properly be diagnosed. If at anytime you are experiencing concerns with your dealer, please feel free to contact me. I also take feedback on our dealer network. I am able to locate the next closest dealer as well as speak with them and fill them in on your specific situation.

As for my VIN and other personal information inquiries, I understand that many of you have modified your vehicles and can see why there would be worry about me voiding warranties or worry about what is being done with your information. I have no part in the process of voiding warranties, nor am I interested in doing so. You have purchased these vehicles and have every right to do whatever you wish to do with them. I realize you have to take me at my word on this one, and I appreciate that.

The reasons why I do ask for VIN numbers when I request to follow up with you is so that I can look into your vehicle's information to:
1) see if there are any open safety recalls that you need to be alerted about
2) inform you of your warranty parameters (exact date/time of expiration, special coverages, etc)
3) investigate past service history in the event of a vehicle concern (this helps to show if you have had repeated concerns and your inconvenience)
4) helps to build up our database so that the interactions I have with you virtually are recorded for "text-mining" of customer service records; this assists with GM issuing recalls or service programs for makes and models of cars
5) to set up a case for you with GM (which not only reports your concerns to GM it also assigns a specialized agent to your case)

I hope this helps to clarify our purposes for engaging with forum posts. Again, I appreciate this feedback. I am here to assist you to the best of my abilities, and can now adjust my approaches accordingly.

Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

· Registered
203 Posts
As for my VIN and other personal information inquiries, I understand that many of you have modified your vehicles and can see why there would be worry about me voiding warranties or worry about what is being done with your information. I have no part in the process of voiding warranties, nor am I interested in doing so. You have purchased these vehicles and have every right to do whatever you wish to do with them. I realize you have to take me at my word on this one, and I appreciate that.
Actually, nobody has to take your word for it. All anyone has to do is read the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act enacted in 1975.

Magnuson

· Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I'm gonna save a link to Stacy's post. The answer to 1000 questions is answered. Thanks Stacy! Also, people need to understand the risk vs reward with vehicle modification. Everyone takes a risk when they:
A) Modify a vehicle
B) Post it on a forum/openly talk about
C) Don't fully understand the point of Mag-Moss warranty act and how to best protect themselves from bad dealers.

In my personal opinion, I do not believe Stacy is here to pass along modified information about your car. However, I am sure when she try's to communicate with dealers for users that allow her to do so; you'll probably find a link to this forum in which all your post are able to be read after just a few short clicks. So I ask that our members seriously consider the risks when providing any information to anyone! I do feel she's here to help. However understand the media you have used to get in touch with an employee of GM.

Actually, nobody has to take your word for it. All anyone has to do is read the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act enacted in 1975.

Magnuson
You missed the point. lol =D

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Stacy,

Thank you for letting us know how the information is used to the extent that you know.

· Administrator
14,726 Posts
On the contrary, I missed nothing. I made a point.

People need to educate themselves to overcome their own ignorance.
I think she was referring to the people whose cars are modified in such a way as to knowingly void the warranties. Many of those people know the laws and know their rights. These are the people who lower their suspension (consider your suspension warranty now void), or install an aftermarket tune on their cars (consider your engine and transmission warranty now void) that this applies to. GM will have absolutely no problem voiding your power train warranty if they discover you've tuned the car, and for a very good reason. We had a fellow come in here who tuned his car with a no lift shift and started losing synchro gears.

The Magnuson case only applies in limited scenarios, such as the the installation of a K&N filter. The case does not protect you from all modifications you choose to make and is not a "get out of jail free" card. It is designed to protect you from having your warranty voided on account of modifications that cannot be justly associated with the problem you may have with your vehicle.

· Registered
203 Posts
I'm not sure why you're trying to explain all of this to me. I simply supported Stacy (very rare occurrence from me) and provided a link for those that are misinformed, or perhaps hesitant to seek help from GM based on the fact they modified the car, at all.

But, whatever floats your boat.

· Registered
127 Posts
As much as I'd like to believe this is true, in the corporate world, rumor and opinions of the general consumer have very little importance to the bottom line. They don't care if 100,000 people say they like the product. They care about what J.D. Power & Associates, Motor Trend, Car & Driver and Consumer Reports says. They care about potential customers a lot more than current consumers.

I used to sell cars (1993-1996), and worked my way up to Business Manager of new car sales for a Chevrolet/Hyundai dealer. It's what called "a dog and pony show". Make people believe you care and they'll keep coming back. In the end, it all comes down to the bottom line and whether its black or red. We were the largest, most popular, and most respected dealership in the area, but after about 2 yrs after I left, they sold out because they were very close to having to file bankruptcy. Unfortunately, making the customer happy isn't always financially beneficial. Everyone in the world can think GM is the best car company in the world, but if they're loosing money every year, does it really matter if you or I like them?

I'm trying to be objective of what good it does to have someone from GM monitoring sites like this, but in the end, I don't think it really matters. Yeah, they're trying to do their best to improve, but right now they realized their past efforts weren't working (hence the "bail out") and they're just trying different strategies. I'm not saying it's a waste of time, but I doubt it's as effective as they'd like you and I to believe.
I second this opinion. The dealer I purchased from could care less that I am "less than satisfied", basically telling me to take my busines and @#$%off. That was from the President, and the Sales manager. It IS all about the bottom line. The dealer was happy; they sold me a new car and made about $1000 on the Cruze, took my trade and probably made $4000 on that one, but when I had an issue it was simply "take your business elsewhere. Sean, you reading this? Glen? You should know that I could call you out by dealership name and location but I won't. I won't do to you what you have done to me.

I have never in my life purchased a product, my Cruze, that I liked so much from a company for which I now have such disdain. This is really a great little car, but as said above, they could care less about you after the sale.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.