Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Curious!!!

Tags
curious
4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  iCruze2 
#1 ·
Okay so I'm new tithe whole tuner/mod deal. I have a 2012 Eco 1.4...

1. What's the difference between a CAI/SRI

2. Is there any way to change the blow off on the turbo to make it more noticeable louder longer etc...

Any info will help guys thanks!!

Love this Forum super informative... Done some exterior work to my car bought 1 month old adding a pic or two to show everyone... Tell me what u think!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I can help with the CAI/SRI.

CAI -Cold Air is usually mounted in a fender well, or as extreme as the front lower bumper.
PROS - More Torque on the High End of the Motor (High RPM Range). Fresh Cold Air is delivered to the Engine.
CONS - Could suck water into motor, if you live in an area with large amounts of rain.

SRI - Short Ram Intake gives you bottom end power (Low RPM Range). Mounted under the hood and near the engine.
PROS - More Torque on the Bottom end of the RPM Band. Easy to change/clean filter. No worries of drowning in motor with water.
CONS - Sends warm to hot air to the engine. (Which can boost Fuel Economy a little but lower HP Gain.)

K&N tho gives you a heat shield which helps block some of the engine heat that is Radiated towards the filter. Doesn't eliminate but helps reduce it. I love the SRI from K&N as it gives you a nice boost in bottom end, which a turbo charged car needs. Yes this turbo boosts to 15-17PSI by 1850RPM, but sometimes it doesn't feel like it. But with the SRI you really start to feel a lot more power. I don't rev above 4000RPM so I won't see full benefit from a CAI.

With the SRI I can spin the tires at 2500RPM w/ Traction on and even chirp the tires with a quick throw to 2nd. I also run 93 Sunoco Fuel as I drive 2 'mountain' roads to work. I live in PA, we don't actually have MOUNTAINS.. Just big hills. With 87/89 Octane I get Turbo Surge going up the one hill, but with the 93 Octane, she pulls the mountain great. 6th gear all the way @ 60MPH. Road is posted 40mph..

As far as BOV, I can't help ya. First turbo I have ever owned, and you would prolly have to replace all the Plastic Charge pipes with Aluminum or Stainless Steel, just to be able to mount a BOV.

With an intake tho, and especially the K&N you really hear the turbo spool and "Blow Off". I think what you hear tho is the Air Charge returning to the Intercooler to keep the boost up on shift. I have a 6spd MT, i think the Auto is more quiet on shifts.

Hope this helps you. Search YouTube for Cruze SRI or K&N Intake. THey are very loud. You can hear my 2012 LT RS "Blow off" over a block away. And a low RPM Turbo spool sounds really wicked too.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum Cornell. Take a look around, you'll find several topics with good information. A quick answer for you though; CAI will suck in cold air, good for a couple horsies (not worth it in my opinion). SRI will suck in warm air, good for fuel economy (not worth it in my opinion hehe). both will make your turbo louder. Can't help you on the bov.

Enjoy

#5 ·
Also the Cruze is equipped with a BPV not a BOV. It's a bypass valve, which I think but not 100% sure it basically sends a portion of the boost to the intercooler during shift change, and some to the atmosphere. It is electronic so not sure how to bypass it with a BOV. I have read somewhere you can run a BPV and BOV together with great success if done right. BOV will blow off low pressure boost, and BPV will "recycle" High Boost.

I have been doing a lot of research on Turbo's since I bought my car back in February.

#7 ·
BOV/BPV... Whatever you want to call it, its doing the same job. I does not vent boost to atmosphere or to the intercooler, it vents boost pressure from the compressor housing to the air inlet on the compressor housing every time the intake manifold sees vacuum. Also, I can assure you it is not electronic, its 100% mechanical.

#8 ·
The turbo bpv is not to be removed!!! All the cobalt SS guys who blocked theirs off and put an aftermarket bov on, has had nothing but problems. There is a company who does make louder bpv's, and I don't think they had problems with them, however, I doubt that it would fit in our tinyass turbo.

#11 ·
The company that makes the direct replacement BPV for the Cobalt SS is Forged Motorsports, I don't know about it being any louder than stock but I can hold higher boost pressure. It might actually work on our cars, it is the same design but the size might me different.

#10 ·
ShawnB,

Even though your altitudes aren't as high as Colorado, having driven through Appalachia I can tell you they are Mountains. The roads tend be steeper with sharper turns so you can't even get a good coast coming down. Don't ever let any of us "high altitude" folks tell you otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.