Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a 1986 20' Bayliner with a Chevy 305 CID engine, and Volvo outdrive. Checked every boat Bayliner buillt in 1986, this is the only model using tempered glass, every other in is using plexiglass. Had surgery with a 16 pound limit, couldn't clear off a heavy snow, every window broke with literally thousands of pieces of glass everywhere.

I don't get where they say this stuff is safe, cuts you (me) like crazy. Six out of seven where shattered, put the seventh in a large plastic bag and tapped it with a center punch lightly at one corner,it literally exploded.

The glass in the channels was glued in solid, this was one major job cleaning this out. Drew the windows on Autocad and learned all I needed was one 4 by 8 foot sheet of marine grade plexiglass. Cut out all the pieces, all were perfect except the two front side windows, just required a bit of trimming.

Should be done with this today, just that last channel on the starboard side, but need a break now, LOL. Took a left over piece of this plexiglass and darn near bent it 180 degrees before it neatly snapped into two clean pieces. Will feel more secure with this. Also used a lot more stainless steel screws than glue.

Ha, I do great work.

View attachment 147762

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts
You ever take that out on lake Michigan ? don't ever do that again !

·
Registered
574 Posts
good job
I did this with my dad 20+ years ago. How I got the glass out of the window channel was grinded a screwdriver to the right width & chiseled that stuff out carefully. Also use safety glasses

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That way giant shards dont come off and slice limbs at a time.
Ha, was comparing tempered glass to plexiglass in a boat, also use plexiglass in airplanes like the B-17. Then my girls like to wear bikinis, not very well protected in case another boat hits us.

Done with the windows, now for routine maintenance, horn still works.

Had a deep hull Thompson I used in Lake Michigan, love the lake. was in swells as high as 8 feet, up and down, up and down, LOL. are you getting sea sick. Really miss coho fishing, for us, about a 320 mile round trip to the lake, so sticking with the small stuff.

Younger grandkids love the kayak, not much they can do in a larger boat.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, here are so more photos.

View attachment 147938 View attachment 147946 View attachment 147954

Got it during that crunch, original owner, only 340 hours on it, boat prices dropped to nothing. Tell you this, we got it for less than the sales tax on a new one.

Practically went crazy, saw a beautiful 27' cabin cruiser on a trailer in Green Bay, WI with an asking price of $8,000! Ha, would have needed a 350 or a 3500 to pull the thing, and a bit too large for the lakes around here.

Wanted something for my grandkids to learn to love the water, but they still prefer the kayak.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Looks real good nick & love those gauges
Were made by US Marine gauges, not to be confuse with the Marine Corp. Are pretty, but not very functional, no needle stop pegs, and with a rise in the plastic back plate, would get stuck. So I added stick pins for stops.

Zero adjustment had to be internally, and were using fixed resistors for calibration. In the tach, added a pot for a precise adjustment. So now pretty and functional, ha, a lot easier to do this with a gauge then a pretty woman.

I added an electric fuel pump in series with the engine driven pump. This thing actually sat for two years. Have a switch to run it before starting, did this last night, and as soon as I hit the starter, it ran. Kind of noisy in the garage.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,414 Posts
My parents neighbor sent a Bayliner like this to their insurance company after it broke free from the mooring and the rocks tore holes in the hull. Wasn't worth the insurance company to fix such an old boat for what it was worth. It wasn't nearly in as good of shape as yours though. Now they have a brand new Regal.

My parents have a 350 Volvo in their boat, with around 250ish hours on it now. Been a great boat, but keep a spare fuel filter on hand and change it at the beginning of every season...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts