Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am looking to build a new box for my RE Audio SEXV2D4 sub. Right now I have it in ~1 ft3 sealed box. I used to have it in a 2 ft3 ported box tuned to 35hz and ported right into the cab of my old BMW, and it sounded awesome. Looking to do the same type of deal with my cruze, but use the 6x9 holes to port into the cab.

Now design is not my strong suit at all, lol. However I can build the box for sure. These are the specs right from RE Audio
Enclosure Recommendations
Model10" Compact10" Optimal12" Compact12" Optimal15" Compact15" Optimal
Sealed[cu.ft/liters]0.4 / 11.330.65 / 18.410.75 / 21.241 / 28.321.5 / 42.482 / 56.63
Ported*[cu.ft/liters]1 / 28.32 @ 35Hz1.25 / 35.4 @ 34Hz1.5 / 42.48 @ 35Hz2 / 56.63 @ 33 Hz3 / 84.95 @ 35Hz4 / 113.27 @ 34Hz

* Need to add PD(Port Displacement)

T/S Parameters
ModelSEX v2 10SEX v2 12SEX v2 15
Thermal Power Handling [Pe], Watts750750750
Nominal Impedance(dual) [Znom]2 or 42 or 42 or 4
One-way, Linear Excursion [Xmax], mm192021
Efficiency [SPL 1W/1m], dB88.786.984.4
Volume Displacement [Vas], cu.ft/liters0.14 / 3.960.15 / 4.250.17 / 4.81
I am also trying to retail some trunk space, I didn't have any in the BMW and that was a bit annoying. Looking for a few suggestions to tune the box to 35hz and keep the box as compact as possible :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where can I get some of this info? I don't see anything on the MFR website.
Yeah, I couldn't find it there either, but I figured you may have it if it came in the box. Try emailing the MFGR and asking for it.
If not, try on DIYMA.com and see if someone there knows.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
If you are going to build a custom box I always recommend to test and record your own T/S params since manufacturers can be inconsistent ....of course after beak in :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I think I have the box design that I want. Now when I am figuring out port length, lets say I get a 7.5" port at 3" diameter. Is that 7.5" the total length of the port, or the length that needs to be inside the enclosure. If that is the length that needs to be INSIDE the enclosure, does it matter how much is outside the enclosure? I have done some research and can't find a definite answer.

My goal is to port out of the top of the box, opposite side that the speaker is installed on, and up through the 6x9" mounting hole.

So far I have my dimentions as

W 24"
H 15"
D 12"
That gives me right around 1.85 ft3, with the speakers .15 displacement that is about 1.7 ft3. Using a 3" port, the calculations come out to 6.96" port, that is tuned to 35 hz. Lmk if any of this looks wrong :)

·
Administrator
15,615 Posts
Port length depends on port area. Port area depends on vent velocity. Did you model vent velocity?

Did you model in-cab response or are you just trying to do an SPL build? Flat raw response will not be flat in-cab.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Port length depends on port area. Port area depends on vent velocity. Did you model vent velocity?

Did you model in-cab response or are you just trying to do an SPL build? Flat raw response will not be flat in-cab.
Honestly I just used an online port calculator that I have used in the past. I love SQ over SPL any day of the week. Right now I have my RE in a ~1 ft3 sealed box, and it sounds very delayed and shallow, I was assuming that this is because I am used to that sub in a much larger ported and tuned box that was ported directly into the cab?

Also just a little background into the wiring, I pulled the sub from the rear pass speaker, I just tied it in mono to that side, Also assuming that this is not causing the issues, could be wrong though.

Thanks again

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Depends upon the Amp and if you would like to hear 1 or both rear channels ..
I went with a Loc and then to a 2 channel amp that is Bridgeable for the Subs

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends upon the Amp and if you would like to hear 1 or both rear channels ..
I went with a Loc and then to a 2 channel amp that is Bridgeable for the Subs
Using a JL xd600/6. Pulled from both sides up front for the front 4 channels, and the rear pass for the sub.

·
Administrator
15,615 Posts
Honestly I just used an online port calculator that I have used in the past. I love SQ over SPL any day of the week. Right now I have my RE in a ~1 ft3 sealed box, and it sounds very delayed and shallow, I was assuming that this is because I am used to that sub in a much larger ported and tuned box that was ported directly into the cab?

Also just a little background into the wiring, I pulled the sub from the rear pass speaker, I just tied it in mono to that side, Also assuming that this is not causing the issues, could be wrong though.

Thanks again
I've been a but busy but I'll run your sub through and see what I can design for you. I've designed hundreds of enclosures. Are you planning on an aero port or are you making a slot port?

Post up the TS specs and I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been a but busy but I'll run your sub through and see what I can design for you. I've designed hundreds of enclosures. Are you planning on an aero port or are you making a slot port?

Post up the TS specs and I'll see what I can do.
The only TS specs on the MFR site are these.
12"
  • Thermal Power Handling -Pe: 750 W
  • Nominal Impedance -Znom: Dual 2 or 4 ohm
  • One-Way, Linear Excursion -Xmax: 20 mm
  • Efficiency -SPL 1W/1m: 86.9 dB SPL
  • Volume Displacement: 0.15 cubic feet
The sub is over a year old so I don't have the original box any longer. I am looking to use an aero style port, 3" diameter PVC most likely.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
I know parts express carries those woofers might have better luck with them. RE audio went through a major change several years ago I believe now they are just importers not builders.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does this help at all?

Re: 1.756 ohms Fs: 39.03 Hz Qts: .811 Qes: .934 Qms: 6.16 Le: 1.685 mH Mms: 189.5 g Vas: 1.01 SPL: 84.49 dB 1w/1m

·
Administrator
15,615 Posts
Does this help at all?

Re: 1.756 ohms Fs: 39.03 Hz Qts: .811 Qes: .934 Qms: 6.16 Le: 1.685 mH Mms: 189.5 g Vas: 1.01 SPL: 84.49 dB 1w/1m
Are you sure those are accurate for that sub?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts