Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

CXRacing Intercooler Kit

52K views 93 replies 28 participants last post by  goinovr 
#1 · (Edited)
Cxracing Front Mount Intercooler Piping Kit for 2010 Chevrolet Cruze 1 4T Turbo | eBay

ZZP may have met it's match for an intercooler kit. Looks legit, they have many photos of the product contents and installed pics.

$439.00 shipped. Aluminum 2.5" piping with sensor bungs. Only problem is I do not see a max pressure rating. Might have to contact the company for that info.

Question is, is it as good as ZZP? I personally think all intercoolers work the same, but who knows.

Definitely looking into this kit.

#2 ·
It does look tempting. All the sensors look to be in the right places.

I'd be interested to know about the intercoolers themselves. Thicker =/= (doesn't equal) better, but apparently things can be done within the intercooler to make a smaller one more efficient. I'd be interested to hear if their intercooler core is a Chinese cheapy, or a more expensive one.

#5 ·
Yeah, look at ours, can't be any thicker than 1.5", maybe 2. We've had no problems with IAT on ours.
I'd say the thinner the better. That way, the heat can be dissipated much faster than ambient air trying to cool 4 inches thick of hot air.

If that makes any sense? lol

#3 ·
Well that is nice I love the car too got to love them niches

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#4 ·
seeing the cruze in the seller's pics makes me want to drop my car even more!!!!!!

the intercooler looks great too!

#6 · (Edited)
Check out their site. www.cxracing.com

They have some impressive products and even more impressive projects..

This company seems to have the upper hand on high performance. I could probably trust them.

I'm going to contact the company about pressure rating on this intercooler. Will post results.

#7 · (Edited)
DON'T DO IT!

It's a Taiwan junk intercooler core that won't actually cool a **** thing. I put a CXRacing kit on a mazdapeed3 (not my choice) and it lost 20whp. IATs were hitting 160 on highway pulls IIRC.

It was on the car for about 3 days before we ripped it off and sold that POS. Swapped back to stock and boom gained the power right back, then put a real intercooler on it and gained another 10whp.

CXRacing = Chinese trash.

"All intercooler's work the same" couldn't be more wrong. It's the internal bar/plate/fin design that makes the difference, the stuff you can't see. That's more important than size or end tank design. You will never have a decent pump gas setup with a cheap intercooler, ever. If you can't control your IATs, you can't make power on low octane (93 and below) fuel.

#9 ·
Well, despite your bad experience with this company, you can't say the company is junk just from one possible faulty I/C.

Proceed with caution might be a good warning for unknown companies like this, but I may become the guinea pig for this kit. Unless someone beats me too it. I plan to get some sort of upgraded I/C and a stronger clutch with the E85 tune shortly. The three should match quite well together to make a moderately powerful Cruze.

Still can't justify $700 for an upgraded cooler.

#13 ·
Looks like it comes with the sri also. their feedback seems hit or miss. Lots of slow shipping and out of stock complants and bolt on products not fitting. Its hard to believe that it wouldnt be better than stock just from its location. IMO.

#14 ·
That's what my buddy's logic was with the Mazda. Stock unit was a top mount sitting right on top of the hot engine, and it still worked much better than the CX fmic. That's how bad these things are.

#17 ·
How long ago did you buy it from them Hoon?
That was awhile ago, probably about 2 years. We have track results that prove the loss in power, not guesstimating from a data-logger or butt-dyno.

I've never seen any evidence that their products have become legit since then. Notice they have NO dyno numbers, IAT numbers, pressure drop numbers, NOTHING to substantiate their claims of "excellent performance".

#19 ·
OT, it's your money. If you want to test it, setup pre and post intercooler IAT sensors on your car, Do a few pulls, and repeat after the intercooler swap. I'd love to see the results. I measured 30-40 degrees hotter than stock via a data-logger recording the post IC IATs on the mazda.

That's the best idea. As long as the MAF area is designed correctly, you could get a huge deal on the piping and buy a core elsewhere.

#23 ·
Possibly Hoon. I would have to look into GDS2 and see how in depth sensor readings can get. If I can get my car in here later, I will look.

If not, I'm sure comparing sensor voltages could give us a decent window of readings as well..

#24 ·
*Update*

For those following Trifecta's Facebook page, someone bought this CXRacing kit.

Once installed, I will either keep in touch with him or invite him to post here with results.

Excited to see how this turns out. I'm glad someone else got this before I potentially wasted the money on it, lol. :th_salute:

#27 ·
ok i do not have one of these on my cruze but i do on my supra (dyno @ 996hp) and for the supra it works VERY WELL. also this is the brand we install at our shop on customer cars...wrx, evo, ford, dsm's, ect. never had one come back. but out of the 100 or so kits we put on we did have more than a few fitment problems. we never did any dyno work before or after. the stuff looked nice and of good quality.

#31 · (Edited)
Hey Smoorey, fellow Supra Owner :)

I personally used a Treadstone TR-12 on my Supra which seemed to be a pretty good bang for the buck honestly. CX racing sold me my bends used to make my customer charge piping setup.

The piping I purchased, welded perfectly, was thicker or equal to all other piping, and came bead-rolled. Now of course they sell aluminum piping that feels like it's soft as lead and cannot be welded.

So my point being is that I think they can provide parts from anywhere with pretty much any price point.

I'll have to take a look at the kit, It probably won't be up to my standards but I'll check it out.

The piping and fitment looks great, but that intercooler seems pretty suspect unless I can examin it with better pictures.

#33 ·
Hey Smoorey, fellow Supra Owner :)

I personally used a Treadstone TR-12 on my Supra which seemed to be a pretty good bang for the buck honestly. CX racing sold me my bends used to make my customer charge piping setup.

The piping I purchased, welded perfectly, was thicker or equal to all other piping, and came bead-rolled. Now of course they sell aluminum piping that feels like it's soft as lead and cannot be welded.

So my point being is that I think they can provide parts from anywhere with pretty much any price point.

I'll have to take a look at the kit, It probably won't be up to my standards but I'll check it out.

The piping and fitment looks great, but that intercooler seems pretty suspect unless I can examin it with better pictures.
Treadstone make's some good ****! Supra's are hard to come by now. man they were over engineered but we loved it. Car scars the **** out of me just starting it. but instead of an inter cooler i think i am going with the snow performance water/meth...same money but you get power and cooling

#35 ·
CXracing is re-branded godspeed junk. It will usually not fit right, and most of the "kits" are generic piping that you have to make fit. There's a reason it cost next to nothing. It's junk. With cars, turbo cars especially, you get what you pay for. Why buy a $18,000 car then cheap out $250 difference for an intercooler? you should not be modding your expensive car if the price difference is really going to starve you financially.

#36 ·
I'd honestly spend the extra money on ZZP or HEP's intercooler kit.....atleast you know 110% everything is working fine with these kits......so far lol.........and they have amazing customer care located in the U.S........SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY, QUALITY IS KEY IN PERFORMANCE !

#37 ·
Update**

Kid that purchased this kit just posted results, and if they're true gains, this kit is exceptional.

At the dyno now... First pull numbers are in.......

Mods
Trifeteca tune(most important) with rev limit changed to 7k
WG three turns tighter than stock
... Full exhaust no cats duals
Cold Air Intake by spectra build your own kit
Throttle body spacer by Brent Addington
CXRacing FMIC
AUTOLITE iridium plugs gapped to
Autometer ProComp boost gauge

216 whp
238 torque

Before intercooler numbers

197 whp
202 torque
These numbers with WG adjusted three full turns.

#38 ·
Now is any body worried about blowong intakes and head by turning the wg.

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#40 ·
Also calling BS.

The stock intercooler is very efficient in terms of temps. Only significant advantage that could come from the CX is flow (i haven't measured pressure drop on the stocker), and a 10% increase is MASSIVE from an FMIC.

I'm not buying it.

#41 ·
Just copied and pasted.. wasn't me that did this. lol. He's getting the data, charts, and video together. I'll share what I find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.