Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hoping you guys can shed some light on an issue I'm having. I've been chasing a misfire on my Cruze for about a year. 120k miles now. The misfire happens only on a cold start (though sometimes under high load high rpm situations) and typically sets off a flashing CEL and Service Stabilitrak warning.

Usually goes away after about a minute and then runs like a top. It has new plugs, new coil pack, new injector on cylinder 1, and it still misfires. Gap is verified to be within spec. Just out of ideas honestly. I've read other threads and I'm not coming up with anything. At this point I'm considering compression test/leak down to rule out internal issues. I know it has a (probably internal) coolant leak somewhere as well but not enough to cause a misfire on other cylinders or white smoke or anything but just want to remain transparent here lol.

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
If the compression test is fine, check the coil pack if you haven't already. Mine would misfire under high RPM/heavy load, but not enough to cause an engine light and buying a new coil pack fixed it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the compression test today. Results below. Also found the plug on cylinder 1 wet with oil.

[FONT=&quot]210 on 4[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]180 on 3[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]160 on 2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]180 on 1

My conclusion is the head gasket is blown. Any other thoughts?
[/FONT]

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,467 Posts
Did the compression test today. Results below. Also found the plug on cylinder 1 wet with oil.

[FONT=&quot]210 on 4[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]180 on 3[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]160 on 2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]180 on 1

My conclusion is the head gasket is blown. Any other thoughts?
[/FONT]
Too inconclusive. Need a leakdown or coolant combustion gas test.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
What year? IIRC, I think the 2011 had a tendency to crack piston #1. Borescopes are cheap. Especially the kind that connect to a computer. I think I'd drop one in to take a look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can start the car and let it idle with the coolant cap open an watch for bubbles in the coolant, if there are they may smell like exhaust which can mean head gasket going bad. The 160 on cylinder 2 could mean ring wear so the rings could be going(worst case scenario) a compression test when the engine is cold and then when its warm can help diagnose this better to since itll read better if its hot do to thermal expansion of the pistons. Also, a scope is a good idea to inspect the tops of the pistons and cylinder walls but if you have a cracked piston there's a high chance itll be on the skirt or piston side so you cant see it with the scope. And ChevyGuy is right 2011's were notorious for cracking pistons but any of them really. I usually find 1 or 2 is cracked

1 - 9 of 9 Posts