Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've read what I think is all the postings available on this issue and I'm hoping that someone out there has some more info.

Here's my problem: My mistake was I couldn't find a water leak I had and unfortunately I overheated the engine. I've done compression test and found that there is no compression in the center two cylinders. So, I know that the head gasket is GONE!!! I've been reading everything I can on R&R the cylinder head, but I've got a question about the cam locking tool
(No. EN-955-1). Some sites say there is an equivalent to this tool. Does anyone know what that might be? Has anyone done this job yet? I've already ordered a complete gasket set, new head bolts, new thermostat housing assembly, plugs, oil and filter, antifreeze, and I've already located a replacement cylinder head.

I'm about to tear into this thing, but I'd like to know of any issues I might run into before I get ahead of myself.

PLEASE HELP!!!???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come someone has to have some suggestions, or can point me in the right direction. I'm pretty knowledgeable, but have never worked with this type of engine before. Chevy 350 I can do in me sleep, but this is a different monster.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Year/model/which engine/ even current miles would be a start.......and kill the giant font please.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2012/LT/1.4L 109K
Sorry about the font, just trying to get peoples attention.

I've already got the intake off. In the process of getting the exhaust/turbo off.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Near as I can tell there are no members that have had this failure......or at least any that have gone through the proceedure.

I am unaware of a equivelant (sp) tool so I suspect any of the generic cam holders will suffice.....this is (as you found out) chain driven and it is a interference motor so locking the cams is imperative.

Wish I could give you more.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, well, with everything else that had been posted about head gaskets someone might have eventually done the repair. Oh, well, I guess I'll figure it out. I know the gasket is blown. I can actually see water on top of #2 and #3 pistons. As I said I'm pretty knowledgeable but this one's got me nervous.

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unfortunately you will find very few people on here or facebook that work on there own motors. The tool is available on ebay UK site. Roll motor to top dead on #1 insert pin into block and crank to hold, lock cam sprockets down start disassembly. i have been looking for info on valve spring swap for a while without any luck. GOOD LUCK g

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
There's been a few people that have discussed this job and the tools required. Big bold is screaming, please contribute to the forum without screaming, and the search bar for the forum is in the upper right corner of the page about 2 inches down.

I posted a video from Youtube on timing this engine. You'll need the factory tool, or a factory equivalent. I think if generic tools could be used on the Variable timing actuators someone would have done it by now.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-g...y-cruze-1-4-stronger-head-studs-arp-help.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cracked cylinder head

2012 Cruze 1.4 turbo. Had a cracked cylinder head replaced it along with the timing chain since there close to 70K miles on the car and everything was already torn down. Locked the crank at top dead center on tear down. The new cylinder head came pre assembled minus the cam sprockets. Can anyone walk me thru the timing process as the Haynes manual doesn’t go into specific detail on the reinstall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, so I've read what I think is all the postings available on this issue and I'm hoping that someone out there has some more info.

Here's my problem: My mistake was I couldn't find a water leak I had and unfortunately I overheated the engine. I've done compression test and found that there is no compression in the center two cylinders. So, I know that the head gasket is GONE!!! I've been reading everything I can on R&R the cylinder head, but I've got a question about the cam locking tool
(No. EN-955-1). Some sites say there is an equivalent to this tool. Does anyone know what that might be? Has anyone done this job yet? I've already ordered a complete gasket set, new head bolts, new thermostat housing assembly, plugs, oil and filter, antifreeze, and I've already located a replacement cylinder head.

I'm about to tear into this thing, but I'd like to know of any issues I might run into before I get ahead of myself.

PLEASE HELP!!!???
I just finished changing my head gasket. Dont forget the front plate. I have all instructions in word doc if you want them. I had some difficulties if you are interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just finished changing my head gasket. Dont forget the front plate. I have all instructions in word doc if you want them. I had some difficulties if you are interested.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Considering this thread is over 2.5 years old at this point I think it's safe to say it got fixed one way or another

1 - 16 of 16 Posts