Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do door dings make you as mad as it does me! I always take care "NOT" to damage someone else's car when I'm opening my door, it really ticks me off when someone does it to me. I've had my current Cruze for about 1.5 years, for the first year I done great, not a mark, but in the past 6 months I've gotten 3 of them, two left small dents and one took the paint off!
:disgust (1):

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
That is soooo frustrating, and I'm with you 100%

I basically baby my Cruze, and it doesn't help that it's the black granite paint (if anyone else has that paint on here -- is it just me or does that stuff seem like it's scratches extremely easily?)

Anyways, I purposely will try to park as far away from other cars as possible, or sometimes double park in the very back of the lot (yeah, I'm that person, or if it's somewhere with a full lot I will park with one "free" side... so in the end space or w/e.

You'd think it would be preventative, but not always. My passenger side had a nasty job done on it :/ Dented the door and there was a huge white line down the side of the door that was 4" wide in some places. It just makes me wonder what the #$%! is wrong with people and if someone hit it that hard why wouldn't they look and see the damage they did and try to do the right thing? :(

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
I practically gave up. I baby all the cars I've owned, and always on the first week of owning it, i will find a scratch. My Cruze was black granite metallic....And boy oh boy... Every time i washed the car, I'd catch myself putting touch up paint.

I live in an apartment complex btw that will make any car freak, lose sleep. I've learned to live with it, and if i can park on a corner i will, if not oh well... The more i avoid it, the more i get it.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
I always look for new or well kept cars to park near, I figure they don't want dents either, so far so good.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
I always look for new or well kept cars to park near, I figure they don't want dents either, so far so good.
Haha, that's a good plan! Most of the time when I've parked far out in the lot and I come out of the store there will be some beautifully detailed Mercedes/BMW/Corvette etc. parked beside me (if the lot is full) or in an empty lot they'll be in the space directly across from me, or one space over (leaving a space between us). I honestly take that as a huge compliment for my Cruze. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just had a door ding on my Cruze fixed over a week ago now. Car isn't even 6 months old! I turned it into insurance. A quarter size ding cost over $1200 to fix!

Sent from my Droid Ultra

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyways, I purposely will try to park as far away from other cars as possible, or sometimes double park in the very back of the lot (yeah, I'm that person, or if it's somewhere with a full lot I will park with one "free" side... so in the end space or w/e.
:(
I do the same thing.... My wife and daughter hate it! I tell them I'd rather walk a few extra steps than have my car torn up.

·
10,713 Posts
I was over protective till things happened. 1st it was a chip over the 3m strip at the back doors, then dent in the hood from an acorn or something after that fingernail scratches in the door handle groove. One fall day a wild snow storm appeared and took down a few trees in the area. One of those trees got me from headlight to tail light when I drove by it. Since then it's not much an issue to me but I do wax often to not show the scratches as much.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
I always try to find a end spot when I park so I can park on the slotted lines as well lol. It amazes me how many people cannot park..it is crazy! LOL
As a woman, I'll just come out and say I don't trust other female/mom drivers at all, some are like me I'm sure, but most of them seem to be careless and their heads are someplace else.

Also, the majority of elderly drivers.

Sent with iLove

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
id rather send the wife in......im staying in the car!!! lolol, kidding.

Reactions: Jukebox Juliet

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
This happened about a week ago. I was in the walmart parking lot and noticed a nice new impala and next to it was parked a beater, the woman got out of the beater and flung her door open hard..hitting the car, pulls her door back in some realizing what she done wrong, then flings it open again! And the worse part is she was a heavier set woman so when she got out of her car the door was just rubbing the poor helpless impala. I thought to myself never mind..I don't need anything from here today and left. I was shocked.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As a woman, I'll just come out and say I don't trust other female/mom drivers at all, some are like me I'm sure, but most of them seem to be careless and their heads are someplace else.

Also, the majority of elderly drivers.

Sent with iLove
I'm a woman too and I totally agree with you! A lot of women drivers can be real idiots, gives us a bad name, lol!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This happened about a week ago. I was in the walmart parking lot and noticed a nice new impala and next to it was parked a beater, the woman got out of the beater and flung her door open hard..hitting the car, pulls her door back in some realizing what she done wrong, then flings it open again! And the worse part is she was a heavier set woman so when she got out of her car the door was just rubbing the poor helpless impala. I thought to myself never mind..I don't need anything from here today and left. I was shocked.
Should have wrote down her license plate number and left a note on the Impala.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
That doesn't surprise me at all! It isn't always beaters though! My daughter goes to private school and many of the parents drive Range/Land Rovers and other big, expensive SUVs. In my previous car (a beater compared to all of theirs) I had 2-3 people slam their doors into me WHILE I WAS IN MY CAR. Another time someone parked their SUV over the line and into my parking space so there was only about 12" distance between their vehicle and mine. Now that I have the Cruze I park across the street. I learned very quickly that there's a big difference between people who are very particular about caring for their cars, and people who own new/expensive cars.

·
10,713 Posts
I used to go by the "Park on the drivers side of an expensive car" rule but people seem no not care that their Benz or BMW 2 door is gonna hit something if you kick it open recklessly with their foot. I try to park halfway from door and far away when I can. When I parked far as possible away this happened

Once cleaned up

After a while and finding out how much it would cost I just used the touch up paint to cover that area up. If I don't tell you to look you will miss it. Don't think anyone seen it at the Meet on Friday.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
My bodyshop owner friend and I have 'Door ding/parking lot damage discussions from time to time.
In addition to being a shop owner, he's also a devout car nut like myself.

His conclusion: More than 60% of the cars out there are leased.....people that lease cars assume all cars are leased.
For the most part, folks who lease cars look at them as nothing more than a appliance of life that will be returned for another in 24 or 36 months.
Since they look at cars from this perspective, and look at yours the same way, they don't much G.A.S. since they already know they will likely pay a 'Wear and Tear fee' and consider it part of the program.....that means they figure you will also pay a 'Wear and Tear fee' and consider it part of the program as well.
So, BFD....I wacked your door.....you can wack mine too.

Unfortunatly for us enthusiastic clean/shiney/straight sheet metal freaks, the nitwits think we don't give a .....
So, we get wacked.....pissed....lose faith in our fellow man (kind) yada yada.

So, every time I park in an area where I think exposure to this mentality prevails.....which is most places, I will park out in know where land.....sometimes I find another nutcases car not too far from me upon return....I knowing there is more than one nut out there, thankfully.
Stealing two spaces is acceptable but don't forget that if you are too obvious, a near'r do well may show up with a key to let you know you were noticed......that person will leave a ten foot long greating card......jerk.

If windy, try to park facing into the wind. This way, the wind tends to keep anyone elses door from opening too far (as well as your own) and can prevent a hellacious wind driven ding.....often so deep it is considered a full fledged dent.

But, if windy, facing into the wind can help as long as you are not out in the open......ever seen a wind driven shopping cart nail a car? I swear those nasty things can see......One car out in the middle of knowhere and the cart heads straight for it.

If I can't find a spot that gives me some degree of comfort I give up for another time or day....I can't think of anything so important that it will make forget about the resultant damage that occured while picking that something up.

I try to shop while the rest of the world is having dinner.....or breakfast....try to time it when exposure is somewhat reduced.
Rush hour is a good time to shop....few want to go into a store....they just want to get home.

I'm not adverse to parking in a lot that is unused....a lot attached to a closed facility....the walk will do me good anyways and I can make effective purchasses better without fretting over who is bashing the car in now.

Knock on wood.....two years in with the Cruze and I dare say so far, so good......hope I didn't jinx myself too badly...I'll let ya'all know.

Anyways, think before you park....weather conditions, lot configuration.....stay uphill, upwind, be willing to just say the funk with it and come back.....you'll thank yourself while washing/waxing a mar free car.

Be careful out there,
Rob

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good idea (parking near other well-kept cars). I also park as far away from other cars as possible. Not only is it good for the car, I get more exercise as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts