Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to install a dash cam into my cruze after I had to call in a drunk driver on a major highway, Wasn't able to supply the Police with any kind of video besides a few second clip I took with my phone...

I've picked out a camera on amazon and a hardwire kit, though instead of running cable down the edge of the windshield would it not be easier to tap into the power going to the mirror?

I would assume its 12V, just not sure how the cable is bundled that feeds the mirror, and how hard it would be to splice into it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used multiple dash cameras. Most of them are 5V, you need an adapter like this, make sure you get the plug you need at the right angle. Do your homework before, some cheap cameras are just junk...

Mini/Micro USB Port Wire Cable Car DC 12V-23V to 5V Charger Camera Phone GPS Pad | eBay
I've found one on Amazon for something like $8, looks to be decent quality. I'm sure they're all from the same manufacture in china... https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00MH4ZVHO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3RFEY843KH96Z&psc=1

I'm asking this question so I don't have to run to the fuse box, I've seen a number of janky looking installs that tap into fuse boxes and it just isn't as clean as I would like. I'm going to see about accessing the cable that goes to the mirror tonight, hoping its not shielded to make probing for the power wires easier.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,383 Posts
There is a Cruze specific camera on Ali-Express.
If you are still thinking of using the mirror, make sure you have a dimming mirror as if you do not, the power is on constantly. If you do, you can get a MirrorTap for it. I am not sure if they sell a bare end unit, but you could modify it if needed. You could also tap into the cabin lights. Are you running any type of video cable? This will need to come to the dash if you are adding a my link or iPad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.